Rumour The St Kilda debt situation - no more tick

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the AFL will send a club distribution cash that services the debt then good for the club. I expect they don't get sent the bill by the AFL later for the competition funding their club's advancements.

Obviously every club can't do it otherwise they may as well pay for their own developments.

Curious if the AFL would claim equity in club projects.

Assets?

In 2018 each club had in terms of assets
  • St Kilda – $14,757,811
  • North Melbourne – $11,526,082
Since then there's been a $10 million re-development of Arden Street completed last year. They also have another $7 million grant from the Victorian government which will include community and AFLW/VFLW female friendly changerooms, umpires changerooms, multipurpose meeting spaces, multi-media facilities, away team doctor/first aid/ASADA office, a commercial kitchen, and a re-design of the club’s community arm, The Huddle. Construction will commence early in 2021.
You obviously haven’t seen the future plans
So short term it's expensive but there are some long term benefits.

Most saints fans want to have AFL games there.

Had the 30 million been used to turn Moorabbin into a 25-30,000 seat stadium for AFL games, most saints will like it to have a fair rental deal just like geelong has with kardinia park.

I assume you can settle with pre season games and AFLW games and ressies then
That would be great but I think it would cost a lot more then 30 million to build a 30,000 stadium

That would be great but I think it would cost a lot more then 30 million to build a 30,000 stadium
Especially trying to compete with Docklands which I believe the AFL own now so the league might make more money out of games there than renting the ground from St Kilda.

Read the OP. That's not what I'm saying.
Well my point is st kilda had more debt then north when the Gold Coast thing happened but it was still you guys the afl tried pushing for what it’s worth I don’t think any vic club is going under anytime soon as the tv networks wouldn’t allow it as there buy far the best rating games

Well my point is st kilda had more debt then north when the Gold Coast thing happened but it was still you guys the afl tried pushing for what it’s worth I don’t think any vic club is going under anytime soon as the tv networks wouldn’t allow it as there buy far the best rating games
Agreed. St Kilda v North v Melbourne are at the top of my televisual feast of footy each season for sure.

Didn’t the saints only owe about 2.5 mil on the Moorabbin redevelopment about 4 years ago?
I’m sure I read that they were looking to raise the last 2.5mil from member fundraising to complete a total contribution of 7.5mil.
I’m not surprised other clubs are asking questions.

The Saints have enough support to be safe anyway, if things got really serious.
Linfox and a few of their other heavy hitters would come to the rescue.

That is the real problem with North, they just aren’t big enough and have no real opportunity for significant growth.

Didn’t the saints only owe about 2.5 mil on the Moorabbin redevelopment about 4 years ago?
I’m sure I read that they were looking to raise the last 2.5mil from member fundraising to complete a total contribution of 7.5mil.
I’m not surprised other clubs are asking questions.

The Saints have enough support to be safe anyway, if things got really serious.
Linfox and a few of their other heavy hitters would come to the rescue.

That is the real problem with North, they just aren’t big enough and have no real opportunity for significant growth.
If we are talking about north, I can see some growth.

Then again they are surrounded by Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton

Melbourne Kangaroos, based out of Arden Street and playing at the G. It’s perfect.
And then we welcome Tassie with open arms
Look, one way or another Tasmania need to be represented if the competition has truly national aspirations. I don't know how that ends up looking. There are far more wiser and well paid corporate brains on that case than me.. I guess (well they're more well paid no doubt). Relocation seems the cheaper way to go though and if it fails, eh it's only Tasmania and if it completely *s over a s**t club nobody (relatively speaking) gives two shits about then what's really lost? They reload and go again with the more expensive option or forget about it for a while. Or both.

But I digress. I agree with the OP. Saints definitely need a flag. We keep hearing how their list is building and their coach and their synergy is all that and whatever. There's no doubt they need to deliver a flag this time or it's curtains do bally well soon I say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Victorian taxpayers built your home ground

Lol, what did your training ground get built with, state government monopoly money?

Our ground isn't just used for match day games. It also is used for training, AFLW games, soccer matches and other sporting/cultural events. Yours is literally a training ground...one which the Vic government has contributed to multiple times...as in just this year, lol.

"Roos chief executive Ben Amarfio told the Herald Sun the club’s 151-year history would continue in Melbourne long into the future after a $7.3 million state government funding commitment."

People in glass houses and all that...

Last edited:
Suggestion from a well placed thourthe that big non Vic clubs have said no more debt support for the Saints.

Covid wasn't as bad as feared for the comp and time for fiscal reality to hit, given their own massive revenue hits.

Obviously this still needs AFL to agree but not good for the Sainters.

If the AFL refuses to guarantee club debt, that club is bankrupt when it is holding large debt like the Saints.

Interesting times ahead. Saints need a Dogs 2016 flag.
Lol, Saints aren't going anywhere, and you're a North supporter? PMSL.

Tasmania has never had the money to support an AFL team - Even a relocated team will add little to the bottom line - This is wishful thinking.

Lol, what did your training ground get built with, state government monopoly money?

Our ground isn't just used for match day games. It also is used for training, AFLW games, soccer matches and other sporting/cultural events. Yours is literally a training ground...one which the Vic government has contributed to multiple times...as in just this year, lol.

"Roos chief executive Ben Amarfio told the Herald Sun the club’s 151-year history would continue in Melbourne long into the future after a $7.3 million state government funding commitment."

People in glass houses and all that...

Ours is also used for AFLW and VFL games.

Please refrain from commenting further until you can acquire some facts on these topics

Lol, Saints aren't going anywhere, and you're a North supporter? PMSL.

Saints have got $12+ debt and by far and away the biggest AFL annual distribution of any Vic club.

Clubs like West Coast and Freo are asking why, when they've had to cop massive revenue hits this year, the league is still keeping St Kikda on the teat at that level.

Nothing to do with us.

Last edited:
Assets?

In 2018 each club had in terms of assets
  • St Kilda – $14,757,811
  • North Melbourne – $11,526,082
Since then there's been a $10 million re-development of Arden Street completed last year. They also have another $7 million grant from the Victorian government which will include community and AFLW/VFLW female friendly changerooms, umpires changerooms, multipurpose meeting spaces, multi-media facilities, away team doctor/first aid/ASADA office, a commercial kitchen, and a re-design of the club’s community arm, The Huddle. Construction will commence early in 2021.

*crickets chirp*

Tasmania has never had the money to support an AFL team - Even a relocated team will add little to the bottom line - This is wishful thinking.
Would have more support and members than North in their first year. It Would have strong government sponsorship and would then be drawing sponsors from across the nation, not just the tassie market. MG don’t sponsor Port just so they can sell cars to the locals in Port Adelaide. It would draw thousands of vics over to Tassie every weekend that a Melbourne side is playing there which would provide a huge boost to the local economy.

Seems a better position than Being the 10th club in Victoria, fighting for the scraps left over by the big clubs.

it actually shouldn’t even be a debate. Tassie deserve a side and the AFL as custodians of the game should be trying to do the right thing by the sport in that state.

in 2008 when gold coast and GWS teams were decided to join the afl mars committed to being the clubs major sponsor. tasmanias population is only 15k less than gold coast, and tasmanians actually give a s**t about the game. there are 90k members in tas for existing mainland clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back