Not open for further replies.

Murraj1966

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
If the AFL says no new team for you.

But we do have a mob that is hugely in the hole to us and relies on our funding to keep the lights on we can give you.

1613620623431.png

Why not go for the trifecta and claim the Saints are living rent free in my head.

Fact is St Kilda have a massive debt increasing year on year and are looking to sell games into Tassie.

Danger signs everywhere and you're scrunching your eyes shut going nah nah nah.

Saints43

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2010
Flemington
AFL Club
St Kilda
North Melbourne have been clear that they do not want to play any more than the four games in Hobart and will not contemplate relocation.

Who are North telling they will not contemplate relocation? Someone must be talking to them about it.
Hint: It's the AFL. The body that produces the fixture.

Have a look. It's an article about who will be playing in Tasmania based on comments from Hawthorn. And it still mentions North.

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham
Hearing whispers North and Melbourne are presenting to the AFL throughout this year about playing games at a smaller boutique venue in Melbourne in 2022 with a view to potentially redeveloping an existing stadium to hold 30k moving forward.

That stadium will be Ikon park.

Carlton looking at building a monster facility near the State netball and hockey centre.
So Carlton who are about to start major redevelopment of Princes Park are then going to pack up and move to a monster facility near the State Netball and hockey centre.

North Melbourne have been clear that they do not want to play any more than the four games in Hobart and will not contemplate relocation.

Who are North telling they will not contemplate relocation? Someone must be talking to them about it.
Hint: It's the AFL. The body that produces the fixture.

Have a look. It's an article about who will be playing in Tasmania based on comments from Hawthorn. And it still mentions North.

We will be playing there while we are contracted.

I note S Kilda, creaking under the weight of its massive debt, are now looking to play games there if we leave.

Why is that?

KingsRansom

Club Legend
Aug 23, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda

I note S Kilda, creaking under the weight of its massive debt, are now looking to play games there if we leave.

Why is that?

Three reasons.
While the debt is a non issue, it's always better to be debt free.

We have an affinity with tassie as some of our legends of the club are from there.

We also have alot of fans in tassie who don't get to see us play much, so if they do it will also mean more membership value for them.

Pretty simple really...

KingsRansom

Club Legend
Aug 23, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Plus as an added bonus, it adds profit margins and increases revenue for the club with home games down there.....good business of you ask me...

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hearing whispers North and Melbourne are presenting to the AFL throughout this year about playing games at a smaller boutique venue in Melbourne in 2022 with a view to potentially redeveloping an existing stadium to hold 30k moving forward.

That stadium will be Ikon park.

Carlton looking at building a monster facility near the State netball and hockey centre.
Besides the redevelopment of Ikon Park for Carlton noted by others above, if the AFL were going to use a boutique stadium in Melbourne, why would they pick one that isn't on a train line? And why would they shift games away from a stadium that they own?

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda
Admission of defeat.

St Kilda are hoping to play games in Tassie.

Due to their mountain of debt.

Amazes me the fans are not mobilising here.

Geez I hope so, would be a good outcome.

Agree to play there for the next 5 years until Tassie can get its own team in place.

In return the AFL waives our debt and we don’t have to play nuff-nuff games in China.

webbo_83

Senior List
May 29, 2006
Neerim South
AFL Club
Richmond
Three reasons.
While the debt is a non issue, it's always better to be debt free.

We have an affinity with tassie as some of our legends of the club are from there.

We also have alot of fans in tassie who don't get to see us play much, so if they do it will also mean more membership value for them.

Pretty simple really...

You also have a complete inability to focus on one strategy for more than a handful of seasons. Tassie, NZ, China and now back to Tassie again. Always with the get rich quick schemes rather than truly investing in something (or somewhere as the case may be)

Saints43

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2010
Flemington
AFL Club
St Kilda

Why is that?
Based on a few paragraphs on the SEN website, not reported by any of the other 5,000 AFL news outlets.

Lets go with the story though. Tasmania are going to give Hawthorn and North the boot from Tassie after 2021 if the AFL don't set a date for the entry of a local team.
But, are also going to contract St Kilda to play there from 2022 instead once Hawthorn and North are gone.

How are those two stances compatible? In the one story.

SEN... easy money from click-bait dupes like you.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Absolutely nothing. They still owe us for shafting us when Waverly was demolished.

Surely some of your admin (Andrew Plympton) should take some of the blame for that.

I mean the Hawks (Waverley co-Tennants) literally made millions from Waverly/VFL Park being sold off, I don't understand at all why The Saints didn't get a similar deal

KingsRansom

Club Legend
Aug 23, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Surely some of your admin (Andrew Plympton) should take some of the blame for that.

I mean the Hawks (Waverley co-Tennants) literally made millions from Waverly/VFL Park being sold off, I don't understand at all why The Saints didn't get a similar deal

Because former administrators where inept. Glad with what we have now, amazing back house finally

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Absolutely nothing. They still owe us for shafting us when Waverly was demolished.

The Saints bailed on Waverley and Hawthorn. Had they held firm the AFL possibly would have honoured the final 33 years of the stadium contract.

Hawthorn committed to stay, instead the Saints dropped Waverley as soon as they could and ran to the riches at Docklands.

In fact it was almost an identical situation to Tasmania (Saints followed Hawthorn, then left when they had a better offer) and New Zealand. They even poached the Pelican from Hawthorn

Ian Dicker, ex Hawthorn FC president on SEN in 2019

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda
The Saints bailed on Waverley and Hawthorn. Had they held firm the AFL possibly would have honoured the final 33 years of the stadium contract.

Hawthorn committed to stay, instead the Saints dropped Waverley as soon as they could and ran to the riches at Docklands.

In fact it was almost an identical situation to Tasmania (Saints followed Hawthorn, then left when they had a better offer) and New Zealand. They even poached the Pelican from Hawthorn

Ian Dicker, ex Hawthorn FC president on SEN in 2019

What did they leave Tasmania for ?. As far as I recall they dumped it because Grant Thomas didn’t want the team to travel to Tassie.

The New Zealand experiment came about 6-7 years later.

Drawing a long bow there geezer.

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What did they leave Tasmania for ?. As far as I recall they dumped it because Grant Thomas didn’t want the team to travel to Tassie.

The New Zealand experiment came about 6-7 years later.

Drawing a long bow there geezer.

Waverley Park
  • Hawthorn partially relocated 5 games to Waverley Park in 1990 and relocated all 11 home games in 1992
  • St Kilda relocated 4 games to Waverley Park in 1992 and all 11 home games in 1993
  • St Kilda announced in mid 1999 that it was moving to Docklands after Hawthorn's President set up the 'Save Waverley' campaign
  • In late 1999 Hawthorn agreed to move 10 home games to the MCG (

Tasmania
  • Hawthorn moved 1 game to Tasmania in 2001 and committed 2 games in Tasmania per season in 2002 (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/hawthorn-happy-in-tassie-not-colonial-20020713-gdue0z.html)
  • St Kilda announced that they would be playing 2 games a season in Tasmania from 2003 until 2007
  • St Kilda walked away from their contract in 2006 and Hawthorn took up the remaining home games in 2007
  • In 2021 St Kilda announced that they would be open to playing home games in Tasmania (again)

New Zealand
  • In November 2009 Hawthorn announced the 'HANZ-UP' community program which involved game development and rebranding the New Zealand national team to the 'NZ Hawks' (https://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/753928/hanzup-for-hawks-nz-program)
  • In November 2012 the Saints announced (with the support of the AFL) a game package in Wellington NZ which effectively put an end to the HANZ-UP community program
  • In 2015 the Saints walked away from Wellington for the same reason they walked away from Tasmania in 2006

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda
Waverley Park
  • Hawthorn partially relocated 5 games to Waverley Park in 1990 and relocated all 11 home games in 1992
  • St Kilda relocated 4 games to Waverley Park in 1992 and all 11 home games in 1993
  • St Kilda announced in mid 1999 that it was moving to Docklands after Hawthorn's President set up the 'Save Waverley' campaign
  • In late 1999 Hawthorn agreed to move 10 home games to the MCG (

Tasmania
  • Hawthorn moved 1 game to Tasmania in 2001 and committed 2 games in Tasmania per season in 2002 (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/hawthorn-happy-in-tassie-not-colonial-20020713-gdue0z.html)
  • St Kilda announced that they would be playing 2 games a season in Tasmania from 2003 until 2007
  • St Kilda walked away from their contract in 2006 and Hawthorn took up the remaining home games in 2007
  • In 2021 St Kilda announced that they would be open to playing home games in Tasmania (again)

New Zealand
  • In November 2009 Hawthorn announced the 'HANZ-UP' community program which involved game development and rebranding the New Zealand national team to the 'NZ Hawks' (https://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/753928/hanzup-for-hawks-nz-program)
  • In November 2012 the Saints announced (with the support of the AFL) a game package in Wellington NZ which effectively put an end to the HANZ-UP community program
  • In 2015 the Saints walked away from Wellington for the same reason they walked away from Tasmania in 2006

I thought you were saying St Kilda worked away from Tassie because of NZ which clearly wasn’t the case..

I think they also walked away from NZ because the council stopped funding the games ?. Also not the case with Tassie, Grant Thomas scuppered that for playing reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back