hansie

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2006
Outeniqua Mountains
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Newcastle Utd, Miami Dolphins
I’d say merge norf with essenscum. Both battling minnow clubs in the same geographic area. They can use the world class injecting facilities and other things at the hangar until a plane obligingly flies into it or it’s flattened for more car parking.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

GeTrain

Team Captain
Aug 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
President letter via email got sent out to members about Ratten re-signing for 2 years. But included in that letter was this "and by the end of the year we expect to have halved the club’s historical debt". Seems like the debt situation is under control atm

Saints43

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2010
Flemington
AFL Club
St Kilda
Here's todays correspondence from the St Kilda president.

SimpkinByTheDockOfTheBay would you please update us on when the league bigwigs will be voting on calling on the Saints debt?

Maybe give us your inside view on whether 18 months on from your opening post the narrative at head office has changed in any way.
Screenshot_20220708-192423_BlueMail.jpg

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda
Gee, this is going to disappoint some posters on here!

Not really - the whole “but dey are firteen millions in debt” will still be getting a run long after the debt is zero.

Quite why you would want/need zero debt is beyond me but there you go.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Not really - the whole “but dey are firteen millions in debt” will still be getting a run long after the debt is zero.

You dont need zero debt, it just needs to be serviceable, no club is in any real trouble at the moment. North have sorted their debts out, the Saints will. This isnt the 90s any more, no one is going to the wall any time soon, and its vaguely disturbing that members of other clubs are actively trying to shut teams down.

Since 1897 the league has lost exactly two teams - one at their own request after world war 1 and the other arguably didnt need to happen at all - other leagues would kill for that kind of stability over 120 years.

PJays

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 2, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Since 1897 the league has lost exactly two teams - one at their own request after world war 1 and the other arguably didnt need to happen at all - other leagues would kill for that kind of stability over 120 years.
As a basketball fan, I think this is truly remarkable.

PandaG

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
So North sack their coach.
North wants Clarkson
Clarkson wants to coach a Tasmanian team.

Not sure I need to join the dots but to me the solution is simple…?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Someone has to do it to keep feeding you ($s). There is a discipline in paying your own way.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
You dont need zero debt, it just needs to be serviceable, no club is in any real trouble at the moment. North have sorted their debts out, the Saints will. This isnt the 90s any more, no one is going to the wall any time soon, and its vaguely disturbing that members of other clubs are actively trying to shut teams down.

Most of the agro regarding expansion & relocation comes from supporters of Vic clubs wanting to export other peoples clubs.

Obviously many people see/believe that the Melbourne footy market really is overpopulated.

The AFL is either a national competition or its a lifejacket for the old VFL.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Most of the agro regarding expansion & relocation comes from supporters of Vic clubs wanting to export other peoples clubs.

Obviously many people see/believe that the Melbourne footy market really is overpopulated.

:thumbsu: The life jacket is waterlogged - Demetriou knew it, Gil is abandoning ship ....

Farm Boy

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda

Two Vic sides gotta go

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

The league has an obligation to look after its incumbent clubs.

I dont think its overpopulated - particularly given that Victoria's population continues to grow and will pass NSW in the not too distant future.

I think its over-regulated. North and the Dogs shouldnt have to play at Marvel if they dont want - the league shouldnt do overarching ground agreements. If North want to play at Kardinia Park or the Dogs want to play at the Western Oval, then they should be able to. The league should provide minimum ground standards and leave it to the clubs.

The fixture should be randomised and equalised. Drop the preseason comp, extend the season, whatever.

As it is however, theres only one Victorian club thats in the financial doldrums - and even they are pulling out of that.

westie

All Australian
Jul 9, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Paynter Dixon Torana

I dont think its overpopulated - particularly given that Victoria's population continues to grow and will pass NSW in the not too distant future.

I think its over-regulated. North and the Dogs shouldnt have to play at Marvel if they dont want - the league shouldnt do overarching ground agreements. If North want to play at Kardinia Park or the Dogs want to play at the Western Oval, then they should be able to. The league should provide minimum ground standards and leave it to the clubs.

The fixture should be randomised and equalised. Drop the preseason comp, extend the season, whatever.

As it is however, theres only one Victorian club thats in the financial doldrums - and even they are pulling out of that.
At last, a sensible comment

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood

Just tell that to the mobs who want to export someone else's club.

In so far as facilities are concerned, who's going to pay for the ground infrastructure improvements needed to get those grounds up to the standard needed?

The current situation will take decades to 'unwind'. Government has invested a huge amount at the MCG, the AFL has made a huge purchase of Marvel. How does that prior investment pay for itself? Councils aren't in a position to help either. The clubs certainly haven't got that sort of cash.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
I’d say merge norf with essenscum. Both battling minnow clubs in the same geographic area. They can use the world class injecting facilities and other things at the hangar until a plane obligingly flies into it or it’s flattened for more car parking.

Problem is the merged club would be called Essendon, nicknamed the Bombers, be based at Tulla and wear red and black. Rutten will coach as they don't have one. We'll take JHF, Thomas and a couple of others though.

Don't think they'll go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back