The Majestic

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 18, 2005
Hobart, Tasmania
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Glenorchy, Claremont
Sorry, its not SOO, The Qld side is from the local league, with a number of interstate players no doubt. The Tas team is just local players who haven't moved interstate for opportunity.

Also the march from the TCA to NHO is down hill all the way, so I hope they don't have too many beers before the leave, & roll down!!
I haven't really been following the game really, just knew it was Tasmania vs Queensland, just a lot called it 'SOO' so I just assumed, my bad on that.

I'd hope they're not planning to have too many drinks before they get there.

madmug

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I haven't really been following the game really, just knew it was Tasmania vs Queensland, just a lot called it 'SOO' so I just assumed, my bad on that.

I'd hope they're not planning to have too many drinks before they get there.

Rolling down the hill before the game is one thing, getting back to the top afterwards is another!!!!

Turbochook

Two heads are better than one.
Aug 2, 2022
Launceston
AFL Club
Tasmania
Are these jokers serious?

A member of the NO AFL STADIUM Facebook page created a post encouraging "thousands" to come along on Saturday to "show support for our Tassie men, woman and children and tell Jeremy Rockliff No Billion Dollar Debt"

"We MUST make our stance on the NO STADIUM. Make our prescence known, quietly and respectfully. Let the other group be the aggressors!" the post read.

Seems like there are some who are determined to turn a game, which has nothing to do with the stadium deal, into a media event; even going so far as to impute there will be aggression (violence?) due to their presence. What a misguided and inappropriate reaction to what is a community event, to be attended and enjoyed by families.

Don't claim to represent all Tasmanians with your absurd propergander.

Hodgey 15

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Are these jokers serious?

A member of the NO AFL STADIUM Facebook page created a post encouraging "thousands" to come along on Saturday to "show support for our Tassie men, woman and children and tell Jeremy Rockliff No Billion Dollar Debt"

"We MUST make our stance on the NO STADIUM. Make our prescence known, quietly and respectfully. Let the other group be the aggressors!" the post read.

Seems like there are some who are determined to turn a game, which has nothing to do with the stadium deal, into a media event; even going so far as to impute there will be aggression (violence?) due to their presence. What a misguided and inappropriate reaction to what is a community event, to be attended and enjoyed by families.

Don't claim to represent all Tasmanians with your absurd propergander.

End of the day it's not going to be decided by these morons - it's going to be decided by a bunch of politicians who will play politics with it to the final breath. (And based on what Tucker said the other day there's some sort of a pro-stadium swing happening in the Labor ranks)
And there's fear growing within the no campaign because they seem to be getting more desperate by the day.
They can jump up & down and bitch & moan all they like but they're only embarrassing themselves more and more.

madmug

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
End of the day it's not going to be decided by these morons - it's going to be decided by a bunch of politicians who will play politics with it to the final breath. (And based on what Tucker said the other day there's some sort of a pro-stadium swing happening in the Labor ranks)
And there's fear growing within the no campaign because they seem to be getting more desperate by the day.
They can jump up & down and bitch & moan all they like but they're only embarrassing themselves more and more.

This seems to be the case. The positives of this, an AFL team comes with some 200 jobs, thousands of jobs in the building. A multiuse roofed stadium on an old industrial site within 10 minute walk of the CBD, closer to the waterfront & Salamanca. Massive boost in tourism here & Launceston, Huge exposure for brand Tasmania. 92000 said they wanted a team. 19000 facebook members in a short period of time. Many kids that this will benefitn dont even use Facebook!.
Meanwhile politicians play games with it for media attention.
The Greens, City Mayor Reynolds, Federal Rep Wilkie, ALP leader White, Big mouth Lambie, Flanagan (nothing from his brother Martin who write for the Age paper), & his tribe can all get stuffed.

Turbochook

Aug 2, 2022
Launceston
AFL Club
Tasmania
Last edited:

Truetiger

Jun 27, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
Has anyone else donated to the Yes stadium campaign? I'm going to put in 50 when I get paid this week.

It's the least I can do from over here in Melbourne.
What happens to the money? Didn’t know you could do that.

madmug

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Whilst we might be overrepresented in the luddite area every state has its own anti-fun squad.

NIMBY's & the anti everything mob exist everywhere.
The 'Gabba ground dates back to 1895. Its been built, added to & redeveloped numerous times since.
In short, its been there a lot longer than the whining moaning NIMBYs.
At least here the MacPoint proposal has no neighbours.
As an old rail yard & industrial site, It never has.

Feraligatr

🐜 Defend the Island 🐜
Jul 19, 2010
South of the Yarra
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Anahiem Ducks, Raptors
What happens to the money? Didn’t know you could do that.
They are using it to produce Yes stadium stickers, boards and other promotional stuff.

Whatever is left over from the campaign they are planning to donate to grassroots footy in tassie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feraligatr

🐜 Defend the Island 🐜
Jul 19, 2010
South of the Yarra
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Anahiem Ducks, Raptors
Just wondering if anyone in Tassie could get me a couple of those yes stadium, yes AFL stickers and post them to me.

Can cover postage to Melbourne.

Want them for the car.

Consolaçao

All Australian
May 22, 2007
Melbourne Town
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Phnom Penh Utd (curling)
What a totally bizarre situation this is. So 21st Century.
Bored middle class people getting together on 'the socials' collectively deluding themselves into believing that no stadium = utopia. Whatever it takes to give their lives some sort of meaning.
Nevermind that Tasmania entered a housing crisis in the absence of a stadium, somehow the stadium not being built holds the key to solving the housing crisis. The ability of people to mangle cause and effect to suit their priors is astounding.

ep2018

Bigfooty Pessimist
Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Victoria canning the comm games today in favour of spending more money on housing etc will surely be on the minds of Tasmanians in the coming months.

Turbochook

Aug 2, 2022
Launceston
AFL Club
Tasmania
Victoria canning the comm games today in favour of spending more money on housing etc will surely be on the minds of Tasmanians in the coming months.

Oh the ironing! We lobbied the VIC mafia to include us in hosting some of the events, which would have reduced their overheads, only to be told to F'off. Well how the chooks have come home to roost for the arrogant Victorian government. They stuffed up royally, on the international stage no less; schadenfreude!

But the Vics making utter fools of themselves has nothing to do with us (as fun as it is to watch), most Tasmanians don't care about what happens on the mainland at all; let alone how we should act in response. Trying to compare a complete F'up of a budgetary estimate (out by some 4 billion dollars) for a 12 day major event to a stand alone, purpose built, multi-use stadium (that will serve the community for the next decade at least) is drawing a very long bow indeed.

Last edited:

Consolaçao

All Australian
May 22, 2007
Melbourne Town
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Phnom Penh Utd (curling)

I’m going to correct you here. The Games have been canned because the government can’t manage the state budget. To take attention away from that, they come up with a ‘houses are more important than sport’ narrative.

Consolaçao

All Australian
May 22, 2007
Melbourne Town
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Phnom Penh Utd (curling)
Oh the ironing! We lobbied the VIC mafia to include us in hosting some of the events, which would have reduced their overheads, only to be told to F'off. Well how the chooks have come home to roost for the arrogant Victorian government. They stuffed up royally, on the international stage no less; schadenfreude!

But the Vics making utter fools of themselves has nothing to do with us (as fun as it is to watch), most Tasmanians don't care about what happens on the mainland at all; let alone how we should act in response. Trying to compare a complete F'up of a budgetary estimate (out by some 4 billion dollars) for a 12 day major event to a standalone, purpose built, multi-use stadium that will serve the community for the next decade at least is drawing a very long bow indeed.

To be fair, a big part of the games pitch (and cost) was about building/ enhancing regional sporting infrastructure. Not holding the actual event.

BobbyMorri

Community Leader
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
TBF, it will give ammo to the people who say houses over stadiums. As now, a Pollie has linked the 2.

They will, of course, ignore the fact that the Fed Gov money for the stadium is linked to the development of that site and that not constructing a stadium just means we lose 350 mil and still get to have a prime wasteland in prime real estate in the middle of Hobart. Unless they massively build up(LOL), what do they think will happen to the site if they build houses there?

Can a house/apartment be considered social housing if that house is worth over a million each????

Turbochook

Aug 2, 2022
Launceston
AFL Club
Tasmania
TBF, it will give ammo to the people who say houses over stadiums. As now, a Pollie has linked the 2.

They will, of course, ignore the fact that the Fed Gov money for the stadium is linked to the development of that site and that not constructing a stadium just means we lose 350 mil and still get to have a prime wasteland in prime real estate in the middle of Hobart. Unless they massively build up(LOL), what do they think will happen to the site if they build houses there?

Can a house/apartment be considered social housing if that house is worth over a million each????

As you know Bobby what is holding back all housing construction here is a lack of work force, I work in an industry supplying builders and they all have more work than they can deal with. The kind of construction workers who build major infrastructure, like stadiums, will not be a drain on the pool of housing construction workers. It doesn't matter how much money you tip into an industry that is already beyond its capacity, the only outcome will be to push costs up on what can already be supplied and the companies involved will make out like bandits, on the tax payers coin.

Last edited:

Turbochook

Aug 2, 2022
Launceston
AFL Club
Tasmania

GudOnya

Club Legend
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Carlton, Tennessee Titans
Just wondering if anyone in Tassie could get me a couple of those yes stadium, yes AFL stickers and post them to me.

Can cover postage to Melbourne.

Want them for the car.
Have you had any responses mate?

Not sure on a timeframe but looking at getting some when I or the wife can so can let you know when we do if you haven't had any luck by then.

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
What a totally bizarre situation this is. So 21st Century.
Bored middle class people getting together on 'the socials' collectively deluding themselves into believing that no stadium = utopia. Whatever it takes to give their lives some sort of meaning.
Nevermind that Tasmania entered a housing crisis in the absence of a stadium, somehow the stadium not being built holds the key to solving the housing crisis. The ability of people to mangle cause and effect to suit their priors is astounding.

I remember back in the early 2000’s when the state government sold off all the trashed boarded up houses in Bridgewater and gagebrook for prices between 10/20k now we hear how the government doesn’t have enough social housing

At last the state government looks like it's growing some footballs. ;)

Long overdue. They should reduce the number of councils too while they’re at it

Consolaçao

All Australian
May 22, 2007
Melbourne Town
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Phnom Penh Utd (curling)
I remember back in the early 2000’s when the state government sold off all the trashed boarded up houses in Bridgewater and gagebrook for prices between 10/20k now we hear how the government doesn’t have enough social housing

Long overdue. They should reduce the number of councils too while they’re at it

Tassie also needs to look at addressing where housing in the ‘best’ areas is bought by investors and used for short term holiday accommodation (AirBnB, etc). There’s a lot of evidence that while this can work OK in larger cities, it adversely impacts small cities with tourism dependent economies.