BobbyMorri

Community Leader
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Lib government has rejected stadium 2.0.

I dont understand 2.0 or how it has any support. Isnt 2 billion more expensive than 800 million.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Lib government has rejected stadium 2.0.

I dont understand 2.0 or how it has any support. Isnt 2 billion more expensive than 800 million.

2.3 billion is for a lot than just a stadium with a hospital, hotel, apartments,shops, supermarket and more. They have guaranteed tax payers share will be $750 million and the rest from investors.

BobbyMorri

Community Leader
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
2.3 billion is for a lot than just a stadium with a hospital, hotel, apartments,shops, supermarket and more. They have guaranteed tax payers share will be $750 million and the rest from investors.
Money still has to come from somewhere. And that money has to be paid by someone.

Nothing is for free.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Money still has to come from somewhere. And that money has to be paid by someone.

Nothing is for free.
Well they apparently have a lot of investors keen to invest in it so I think we just have to wait and see if they get those investors signed up.They have way more public support for this proposal and they have guaranteed that because the way they are doing it that tax payers definitely won't have to pay more than $750 million. It's obviously a wait and see to see if they do get investor dollars and to see if they are being honest,but as the proposal is it's definitely a lot better for tax payers.

Cunnington Cartel

All Australian
Nov 18, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Feels like labour have moved on from "no stadium" to 'Not the liberals stadium".
Yeah I see the emergence of the 2.0 plan as a positive too. If the PoSS process doesn’t get up then there’s another option. Also, if there’s a change of government it means that we’re still a chance to get a stadium. Interested to see what the final Mac Point plan will be.

Bjo187

Club Legend
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Surely the AFL have to be the final ones to approve this, which puts them in a powerful position to negotiate a slice of the pie for themselves on all this additional development going on. Well if they were smart they'd do that.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah I see the emergence of the 2.0 plan as a positive too. If the PoSS process doesn’t get up then there’s another option. Also, if there’s a change of government it means that we’re still a chance to get a stadium. Interested to see what the final Mac Point plan will be.
The government has rejected it though so it's going to be very hard to get them to the table on the stadium 2.0 plan unfortunately.

Cunnington Cartel

All Australian
Nov 18, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The government has rejected it though so it's going to be very hard to get them to the table on the stadium 2.0 plan unfortunately.
The Liberal government has, who’s holding on by a thread at the moment. What’s to say the Libs won’t have a change of leadership or the state elects Labor at the next election? Alternatively, the Mac Point proposal could be rejected by parliament when the final vote occurs in (reportedly) early 2025. Any of these scenarios could lead to the 2.0 proposal coming back into the picture as a viable alternative, so having it in the background is a great thing IMO. If this isn’t the case then it’s a pretty simple equation:

a) Mac Point gets approved by parliament and the team goes ahead;
b) Mac Point is rejected and the AFL revokes the provisional license.

Surely the government would want to have a back-up option in case Mac Point is rejected (for whatever reason). The Dean Coleman group will keep developing their proposal as well, so I’m sure they will be looking for solutions to all of the issues that the state government has raised with their plan.

Last edited:

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The Liberal government has, who’s holding on by a thread at the moment. What’s to say the Libs won’t have a change of leadership or the state elects Labor at the next election? Alternatively, the Mac Point proposal could be rejected by parliament when the final vote occurs in (reportedly) early 2025. Any of these scenarios could lead to the 2.0 proposal coming back into the picture as a viable alternative, so having it in the background is a great thing IMO. If this isn’t the case then it’s a pretty simple equation:

a) Mac Point gets approved by parliament and the team goes ahead;
b) Mac Point is rejected and the AFL revokes the provisional license.

Surely the government would want to have a back-up option in case Mac Point is rejected (for whatever reason). The Dean Coleman group will keep developing their proposal as well, so I’m sure they will be looking for solutions to all of the issues that the state government has raised with their plan.
I know the government also said they will consider it but require more information, like you have said, so I think the media outlet I saw were a little off with their reporting.

Cunnington Cartel

All Australian
Nov 18, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I know the government also said they will consider it but require more information, like you have said, so I think the media outlet I saw were a little off with their reporting.
I think the media speculation is completely over the top. The Mac Point stadium design won’t even be completed for 12 months, so let’s just wait and see how it all pans out. It might end up being brilliant.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think the media speculation is completely over the top. The Mac Point stadium design won’t even be completed for 12 months, so let’s just wait and see how it all pans out. It might end up being brilliant.
Most experts have said a stadium won't be able to be built for less than $1 billion,so I really just worry about the government proposal because of that reason.

Cunnington Cartel

All Australian
Nov 18, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Most experts have said a stadium won't be able to be built for less than $1 billion,so I really just worry about the government proposal because of that reason.
I’m concerned about that too bud. Negativity drives media consumption though, so the cynic in me would say the media would be inclined to canvass the views of experts with agendas against the stadium proposal to generate further controversy and debate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m concerned about that too bud. Negativity drives media consumption though, so the cynic in me would say the media would be inclined to canvass the views of experts with agendas against the stadium proposal to generate further controversy and debate.
I really struggle to see how the government proposal will get through the projects of state significance.I believe this new proposal has more chance and I'm just interested in finding the best deal and realise we have to have a stadium otherwise we will not be getting a team.

fargothegreat

Devils Advocate
Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
Mac Point 2.0 is a far better proposal, but only if the private money is actually there. Otherwise it's just a pretty concept.

If Coleman and Lennon can demonstrate that they truly do have investors lined up ready to go then and only then should the government switch.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Mac Point 2.0 is a far better proposal, but only if the private money is actually there. Otherwise it's just a pretty concept.

If Coleman and Lennon can demonstrate that they truly do have investors lined up ready to go then and only then should the government switch.
They have said they have several ready to go but they need a momerendum of understanding signed by the government
before they can sign them up. It will definitely be interesting to see if they can get the $1.5 billion required because it's a lot of money and will be hard in today's climate. But if they can show they have the dollars than I think this proposal will be hard for the government proposal to beat, interesting times ahead.

peetoo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Melbournes docklands trued to be too many things. Just do two or three things well

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Melbournes docklands trued to be too many things. Just do two or three things well
The services that are going to be offered are then going to go into the build cost like for example the apartments will make over $100 million alone.

Cunnington Cartel

All Australian
Nov 18, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Every site is different and the Hobart stadium needs to have a lot of strings to its bow. We don’t have the luxury of being home to 9 AFL clubs like Melbourne, and with games also being staged in Launnie, the Hobart stadium will only be hosting 7-8 AFL games per year. Therefore, the stadium precinct needs to be able to cater for a variety of events and business interests. Adding residential and accommodation options within the precinct is also necessary to increase the day-to-day patronage in a severely underdeveloped area of the city.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Stadium has now been recognized as project of state significance by Tas parliament .
Now it's off for assessment by Planning Commission.
We're one step closer folks.
It's very hard to see it getting through the POSS especially when you consider no major projects have past it in the past. I think the Stadium 02 proposal definitely needs to be looked at because it already has a lot more support from high profile people.

Jazny

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 2, 2014
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
#TeamTurboChooks
It's very hard to see it getting through the POSS especially when you consider no major projects have past it in the past. I think the Stadium 02 proposal definitely needs to be looked at because it already has a lot more support from high profile people.
Hasnt there only ever been 2 other major projects go through the process? I would be worried if there was hundreds of PoSS and none of them passed, but if only 2 have been tried and both failed, it doesnt mean a lot. Especially when one of them was a pulp mill that nobody wanted.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hasnt there only ever been 2 other major projects go through the process? I would be worried if there was hundreds of PoSS and none of them passed, but if only 2 have been tried and both failed, it doesnt mean a lot. Especially when one of them was a pulp mill that nobody wanted.
When you hear all the negative stuff about the government proposal, I just struggle to see it passing.

Hodgey 15

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
When you hear all the negative stuff about the government proposal, I just struggle to see it passing.
You need to look pass all the political games that have and are being played.
The big "test" for me was it passing through upper house - which it has. That was a major hurdle to get over. This was the time for naysayers and opponents in government to knock it on the head.
Planning commission have a lot to assess but I reckon we've passed the biggest hurdle now.

Last edited:
Back