The Stages of Grief (West Coast Eagles Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 10, 2004
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
49ers, Liverpool
Freeway Accident Disengagement

Everything stops in the lead up. You wish you were elsewhere. You just wish what is coming up didn't happen so that everyone involved didn't have to go through what they are experiencing.

You sort of care, sort of just want to get on with your life. You get to the accident and you just can't look away. Maybe halfway through passing things are that gruesome that you simply must look away. Not everyone has the stomach for such horrors. You get passed it, accelerate as fast as you can and try not to think about it ever again.

But you just know you will be back on that freeway tomorrow, even though that annoying workmate who lives down Canning Hwy has been boasting how good a run he has been getting recently. * him, his car is a bomb and the wheels will fall off at any moment!

Can confirm ducks for me

Jan 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers, South Fremantle
Myself personally: I think I am in stage 5, acceptance - entering a new reality that we as a team currently suck. But I am looking forward to stage 6, making meaning - when we learn the lessons from the "death" of our premiership window and apply changes.

And I love this quote from the guy who created the 'stages of grief': “When you’ve traveled through the deepest valleys, you surely appreciate the views from the highest hills.

I reckon West Coast as a club are still in stage 1 (denial), with Nizzy's admission yesterday indicating a lead into stage 2 (anger / blame). Of course, if we win a few games in the back half of the year the club will be sure to revert back to stage 1. ;)

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm not a creep I promise

Intensely watching videos of 16 and 17 year old boys exert themselves, commenting on their size, how much they could grow, and where they could slot in, getting more and more excited the closer they are to hitting 18 and can be picked up (in a draft!) comprised of other 18 year olds where we have first dibs.

I am feeling a lot better about us going forward.

Without naming my source I come into possession of a diagram of our new game plan, after I studied it, I felt much better.

images-3.jpg

The Homelander

When it's 8 minutes into the first quarter, the game is already over and you have to exert every ounce of willpower not to destroy everything around you.

kG3ef0k.gif

Mar 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Sideways and Backwards syndrome

When you wake up at 3 am after nightmares of your team in possession just in advance of the wing, a pass backwards, another one, a sideways pass, another backwards missing the target 30m’s out, turnover, goal to the opposition.
Finally the realisation that it isn’t a nightmare it’s reality.
Depression

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
GroundhogDay-Dovetailism
Where the same things just happen over and over again including my disinterest and apathy.
When one problem dovetails into another problem and creates a perfect storm.
When the only synergy the team has is a set of problems so perfectly aligned and in tune with each other, in fact feeding off each other, that you wish the team could play as well as it falls apart?
Is that a light at the end of the tunnel...or a train?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Termite

When all seems to be going well, then boom, everything goes to s**t (e.g. we kick the first and we're all happy, then they kick the next 10)

screen-shot-2022-06-03-at-3-41-25-pm.png
That was genuinely one of the most disturbing things I have ever witnessed.

And I can honestly say, I’ve seen some s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back