Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
This was a good book.

Whoopi Goldberg Joins ‘The Stand’ at CBS All Access

Whoopi Goldberg has officially been cast in “The Stand” at CBS All Access.

“The View” co-host revealed she is joining the forthcoming Stephen King adaptation during King’s appearance on her ABC talk show Wednesday morning.

All Access has also announced that Jovan Adepo, Owen Teague, Brad William Henke and Daniel Sunjata will join previously announced cast members James Marsden and Amber Heard. Based on the King novel of the same name, the streaming platform announced in August that the prolific author himself will write the final episode of the series, providing a “new coda” that goes beyond the book.

The Stand” presents an apocalyptic vision of a world decimated by plague and embroiled in an elemental struggle between good and evil. The fate of mankind rests on the frail shoulders of the 108-year-old other Mother Abagail (Goldberg) and a handful of survivors.

Adepo will play Larry Underwood, a young musician with a taste for fame, as well as illegal substances. When the plague hits, he is forced to confront his demons as he makes his way to the new world.

Teague will portray Harold Lauder. After the superflu ravages his town, Harold goes in search of others with fellow survivor Frannie Goldsmith. While his intentions are good, jealousy and his infatuation with Frannie threaten to lead him down a dark path.

Henke will portray Tom Cullen, Nick Andros’ traveling companion who has a developmental disability due to a fall as a child. A sweet soul, he will be instrumental in their fight for survival.

Daniel Sunjata will play Cobb, a member of the military tasked with supervising Stu Redman as the government searches for a cure during the outbreak of the superflu.

The series hails from CBS Television Studios. Josh Boone and Ben Cavell are writers and executive producers, with Boone also directing. Roy Lee, Jimmy Miller and Richard P. Rubinstein also serve as executive producers with Will Weiske and Miri Yoon as co-executive producers. Knate Lee, Jill Killington and Owen King will all produce.

Probably my favourite book. Hard to say for sure as I can't see myself reading it again at 1100 plus pages. I remember trying to find info about a tv version when I finished it, but it just seemed to be one of those always in the pipeline things. Would be so excited to find out it's definitely being made. There was a mini series made which I started, but besides the opening scenes it was shithouse. I didn't make it half way.

Alexander Skarsgard has been confirmed to play Randall Flagg. Another Skarsgard as the big bad.
The arguments over whether he will be better than Jamey Sheridan can now commence.

Love this book, have read a few times.

I used to have a copy of some unedited / author's version or something. I remember how awesome the first third or so of the book was, and then I hit an 80 page conversation between Francesca? and her mum. Couldn't go on.

What I was able to read seems perfect for TV. I seem to remember a movie which I never saw.

Alexander Skarsgard has been confirmed to play Randall Flagg. Another Skarsgard as the big bad.
The arguments over whether he will be better than Jamey Sheridan can now commence.

Love this book, have read a few times.
The book has you instantly, at the gas station. Then just never stops.

I had a hard copy that I read until it fell apart.

Mini series was passable, just.

I hope they make a better fist of this.

Are you talking the mini-series, I don't think you can have the Stand as a mini-series I didn't watch it, it has to be a long movie? What do you think?

But it will never compare to the book, and my brain took the book in and I visualised the people in it, and it was many years ago when I read it, also I think for me, its a book you can only read once, because the end, I didn't see coming, but, I certainly knew something was going to "HAPPEN"?

I've read the Godfather about 3 times, both books get hold of you, but I don't know with the Stand?
Forgive my uninformed self, but is there a movie coming out or here now?

Are you talking the mini-series, I don't think you can have the Stand as a mini-series I didn't watch it, it has to be a long movie? What do you think?

But it will never compare to the book, and my brain took the book in and I visualised the people in it, and it was many years ago when I read it, also I think for me, its a book you can only read once, because the end, I didn't see coming, but, I certainly knew something was going to "HAPPEN"?

I've read the Godfather about 3 times, both books get hold of you, but I don't know with the Stand?
Forgive my uninformed self, but is there a movie coming out or here now?

Well reading what's in this thread it seems that a tv series is being made on it.

Done right, I think it actually needs a full series rather than a 2 or 3 part mini-series or a single movie. There's so much character development and scene setting in the first 3rd to half the book, which is far and away the most interesting part of it for me.

I'm with you too with visualising what the characters all looked like.

Nick Andros didn't look like Rob Lowe.

Stu Redman didn't look like Gary Sinise

Frannie Goldsmith didn't look like Molly Ringwald

and whoever played Harold Lauder didn't look like fat Harold from the book.

maybe only the bloke who played Larry Underwood may have been something like I envisioned.

The mini series completely missed Larry leaving NY with Rita Blakemoore, Stu and Harold rescuing the women from 'the caravan' and Trashy getting a ride with The Kid in his deuce coupe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't even know this was a thing until I just clicked on the thread. I got the author's cut (expanded, and where a few details were updated) and loved it. I'm too young to have seen the miniseries, though ever since reading the book I've been curious about it. I'm looking forward to this.

Thank you Bomberboyokay.

Well reading what's in this thread it seems that a tv series is being made on it.

Done right, I think it actually needs a full series rather than a 2 or 3 part mini-series or a single movie. There's so much character development and scene setting in the first 3rd to half the book, which is far and away the most interesting part of it for me.

I'm with you too with visualising what the characters all looked like.

Nick Andros didn't look like Rob Lowe.

Stu Redman didn't look like Gary Sinise

Frannie Goldsmith didn't look like Molly Ringwald

and whoever played Harold Lauder didn't look like fat Harold from the book.

maybe only the bloke who played Larry Underwood may have been something like I envisioned.

The mini series completely missed Larry leaving NY with Rita Blakemoore, Stu and Harold rescuing the women from 'the caravan' and Trashy getting a ride with The Kid in his deuce coupe.

I read the Godfather before I ever saw the movie, yes I am an old fella, when the Godfather1 started with the wedding scene of Connie and Carlo,
I picked the characters from the book before the thing hardly got started before their names were used in the script.
Even Luca Brazzi, but he wasn't hard. Tessio, Clemenza, Sonny easy too, Freddo Michael was in uniform, easy, and Tom Hagen (Robert Duvall wow).
The Mario Puzo descriptive writing was excellent , it made the whole thing so damned real, the casting was genius .
Yet lots of people apparently didn't want to have anything to do with this movie early on as it was being set up.
Like the Sopranos, that was not given much chance at success. Hah.

So brings me to The Stand, I read the book, and I will have to wait to see how the casting has gone, A. Skarsgard, he's a great actor and maybe my memory fails me, but Randall Flagg the walkin dude, I picture him more menacing, but Skarsgard can act so I'm ready to see his work .

Here is one out of the blue for anyone who might have a clue?
I remember The Doors singing "Riders on the Storm", there's a killer on the road his mind is squirming like a toad, don't give this man a ride sweet memories will die ....
Well, I am not sure what that song actually represents, but it always made me think of the dude walking down the highway? In the Stand.

I get creeped out with some of Stephen Kings books , but the Stand is one of the best things I ever read, along with the Godfather about 3 times! Lets hope this next thing is a ripper, looks ok.

Here is one out of the blue for anyone who might have a clue?
I remember The Doors singing "Riders on the Storm", there's a killer on the road his mind is squirming like a toad, don't give this man a ride sweet memories will die ....
Well, I am not sure what that song actually represents, but it always made me think of the dude walking down the highway? In the Stand.
i think there is some connection with the song and the book, one inspired the other I’m pretty sure.

god I hope this is good, like many people have stated in here this book really is amazing, if you haven’t read it do yourself a favour and read this one it is long but it’s worth it.

So brings me to The Stand, I read the book, and I will have to wait to see how the casting has gone, A. Skarsgard, he's a great actor and maybe my memory fails me, but Randall Flagg the walkin dude, I picture him more menacing, but Skarsgard can act so I'm ready to see his work.
Skarsguard can be plenty menacing, don't worry about him. Casting of the actors I know seems pretty good. Only interesting one is heather Graham, as that character in the book was a little disgusting to Larry to sleep with. Nothing like that about heather Graham, but I'm not complaining. Also Larry is white in the book but I think most characters are, so some needed to change.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back