Moved Thread The standard of journalism

Remove this Banner Ad

The OP is referring to a typo instead of the overall standard of journalism.

As somebody who has spent eight years in a newsroom, I can tell you that all newspapers and media companies are slashing costs left, right and centre. Many of those who still have jobs at the two daily papers are working insanely long days for little pay, and in many cases, doing the workload of two or three people for one wage. The Age building once houses six full levels of staff; these days three levels are completely empty.

I'm not defending errors and typos which are becoming more commonplace as time going on - but giving an explanation as to why it's happening. Anybody who works a cushy office job where you can arrive at 9 and leave at 5 - spare a thought for the ones working 7-7 for a sub $60k wage, and understand that that's why human errors keep occurring...

Totally understand that all about cost cutting as everyone is experiencing that, but when the headline is completely mis leading to the article contents you know it is poor journalism.

Smith is a very clever writer, not a very good writer. He can lead you on to a conclusion and it's not until you get there that you realise "hey, that's crap!". It's only when you go back that you realise the conclusion is crap because the unstated premises, or the premises covered up with snide cracks, are crap.

It's really just a question of personal taste, e.g. the first notice I took of his writing was a match report c.1994, following a big Richmond win over Brisbane. Regulars in the side included the Gale brothers, Richo, Daffy, Maxfield and Bulluss, and the report commenced, "They are long haired and athletic, like afghan hounds...". This abilitiy to effortlessly weave non-sporting metaphors/similes into football pieces is to be admired. That's not to say that I read his work avidly or that he never writes dross. I'll purchase The Australian once in a blue moon, and only when nothing else is available. FWIW, as much as I'm enjoying his current ripping of the Bombers, I reckon his personal bias is a little too obvious.

As KB is fond of saying, "The only sports journo to win three Walkley awards..."

It was not about politics you reckon ... there is a widely held view that it has to be ... trashing reputations across the country YET no plan to deliver some results.

There are many issues that can be explored.
Widely held view promoted in the press, specifically by the Murdoch press. It's an election year after all.

You get what you deserve. This is what the public wants unfortunately.

Less substance, more scandal.
Not all of the public.

It also is not necessarily the primary choice, more people are opting for free or non traditional content. This means organisations like News and Fairfax, opt for the lowest common denominator because it is easy and cheap. Hacks churning out sensationalistic, poorly written, poorly researched "journalism", aimed at grabbing attention, creating a visceral response (positive or negative) and generating web clicks.

You please your traditional or core audience, intrigue a few others (hopefully enough for the outrage/scandal to go viral) and enrage those who don't agree so much that they feel compelled to click then vent their spleens.

The best advice is to opt out. Don't click on the BS.

Source quality blogs that challenge you, as well as providing the information you want (avoid the trap of constant confirmation bias) and visit solid news and current affairs sites like The Conversation.

You get what you deserve. This is what the public wants unfortunately.

Less substance, more scandal.

I was going to post something similar. You only need to look at this forum to know a majority of fans these days would rather read a juicy rumour than a well reserched and structured story on the actual game.

The OP is referring to a typo instead of the overall standard of journalism.

As somebody who has spent eight years in a newsroom, I can tell you that all newspapers and media companies are slashing costs left, right and centre. Many of those who still have jobs at the two daily papers are working insanely long days for little pay, and in many cases, doing the workload of two or three people for one wage. The Age building once houses six full levels of staff; these days three levels are completely empty.

I'm not defending errors and typos which are becoming more commonplace as time going on - but giving an explanation as to why it's happening. Anybody who works a cushy office job where you can arrive at 9 and leave at 5 - spare a thought for the ones working 7-7 for a sub $60k wage, and understand that that's why human errors keep occurring...

They don't have spell check? :cool:

I could go on and on about the problems of the print media.

I can speak from partial personal experience thanks to my father. A proof reader at the old Herald and Weekly Times in the 70's and 80's, his role to make sure what was written by the journalists, had the correct spelling and grammar...BEFORE...it was in print.

Needless to say, the amount of dictionaries and thesauri he had certainly helped in my schooling.

But, the move to automation in the mid-to-late 80's meant that instead of Dad and 8 others making sure everything was correct, it was 1 man on a computer doing the work.

You can then see how the affect of automation and tools such as spell check has had. Keep in mind this: the spell check we all get on Microsoft Word, has a default setting to English (United States). So if you want to make sure that your own documents actually sound and read correct in Australian English, you can set it up in such a way that your settings are English (Australian).

Sadly, it would appear the print media has been to lazy for a start to change these settings.

Almost nothing to do with the drugs scandal. On the Age website, there is a reference to an article that states "Former AFL doctor says it was "very vare" to inject players with vitamins".

Click on the link, and it is also in the article headline!

FFS, does noone take pride in their work anymore?
ah, but they got what they wanted, you clicked it

We are behind the times. Tabloid journalism in Australia, in all forms of media has been around been around for 25 years.

Get a copy of Frontline a TV series from the 1990's, which gave an insight into the media.

Watch it and you will look at the media in a different way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hate that News Ltd. always gets you in with a negative headline that isn't supported by the article. o_O:thumbsdown:

Sydney Swans embroiled in father-son spat that could cost them Andrew Dunkley's talented son Josh
"I don't hate the place but I've moved on," Dunkley told The Daily Telegraph.

"In a perfect world he'd get a Victorian club.

"That's being selfish because of where we live (Victoria).

"I'm not against it (going to the Swans).
Sydney Swans embroiled in father-son spat that could cost them Andrew Dunkley's talented son Josh

Story was picked up by 3AW who ran with the story that Dunkley doesn't want his son going to Sydney. :rolleyes:

We are behind the times. Tabloid journalism in Australia, in all forms of media has been around been around for 25 years.

Get a copy of Frontline a TV series from the 1990's, which gave an insight into the media.

Watch it and you will look at the media in a different way.
Every episode is on their Youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/welcometofrontline

The Age building once houses six full levels of staff; these days three levels are completely empty.

But is that because there's less of them or a lot of them are working out of their cars/bins these days due to the inherent immediacy of "news" now? There'd certainly be more journalism graduates around now than then and these people should know how to spell.

I'm not defending errors and typos which are becoming more commonplace as time going on

Good because it's disgraceful.

Anybody who works a cushy office job where you can arrive at 9 and leave at 5 - spare a thought for the ones working 7-7 for a sub $60k wage, and understand that that's why human errors keep occurring...

Spare me. Get a better job (dare I say it, in some cases, a more honest one)? There's plenty out there with better conditions, more money and less hours. If you're doing it, it's because you think you're good at it or you want to be. People don't generally just drift into a job in journalism so they can tread water till something better comes along. You make it sound like they've caught themselves in some woe is me journalism trap akin to "Customer Service Supervisors".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back