The standard of umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

chipzac

Club Legend
Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
I couldn't enjoy this game and had to turn of the TV due to the woeful umpiring decisions. I am assuming there is an umpiring board that evaluates the performance of umpires but I was wondering why the media doesn't seem to be interested in critiquing umpires as they do teams and players?
When Murphy's head was almost ripped off by a Port player, and the Port player was given a free for 'holding the ball', all the commentator (I forget who) could say was that it was an 'interesting decision'. Umpires wield such influence over games that poor decisions can be the difference between a team winning or losing. Teams should only have one team to deal with out on the field, not two. Surely, umpires need to be made accountable and be penalised or rewarded for their performances. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I dont know what we have done to upset the martians but............ would like to have the rub of green just once.

The umps influenced the Collingwood game

Tried to influence the Melbourne game.. and today

Gee whiz just run underneath the ball and throw yourself forward Schultz ... CHEAT

Gee have a whinge. The umpiring was better for us than some weeks. e.g. have a look at a couple of the frees to Waite and tell me they weren't soft.

Umps had no impact on the result. We should've won by 10 goals but our kicking for goal was dreadful.

So this kind of crap isn't even limited to just when we lose anymore? God help us all.

Found it really infruriating today. Not so much the decisions that were paid, but the ones that were missed. You can't tell me that when there were so many rugby type mauls today, that there wasn't an infringement somewhere in there, yet they seem to find the softest frees that really leave you scratching your head. It's even more frustrating when year after year we all comment on how well the GF was umpired - why can't all the games be umpired like the GF!?

:thumbsdown:

I dont know what we have done to upset the martians but............ would like to have the rub of green just once.

The umps influenced the Collingwood game

Tried to influence the Melbourne game.. and today

Gee whiz just run underneath the ball and throw yourself forward Schultz ... CHEAT

Last year when Murph and some of the other injured boys had a go at the umps on Twitter. We have copped it since then.

Last year when Murph and some of the other injured boys had a go at the umps on Twitter. We have copped it since then.
Yep, the umpires sit in their change-rooms before the game and one of them says "Don't forget that tweet from Murphy boys - you know what to do". Am I reading this drivel?

Yep, the umpires sit in their change-rooms before the game and one of them says "Don't forget that tweet from Murphy boys - you know what to do". Am I reading this drivel?
Just an observation. We had the s**t end of the stick last year, despite our injuries, and this year we have umpires keeping things even when we are in front (ala Collingwood and Melbourne games). There is a trend, this is a forum, I am discussing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what you wrote. You rightly should be embarrassed by it.
Again, just incase you missed the point, this is a forum - I'm more than entitled to an opinion...

29,000 post and your still trying to get it right, hey. Thought you would understand that a point of a forum is discussion by now though. But you know what, good for you if it makes you feel better to have the right opinion. Keep on an it ;) You're doing a great job.

The game is fast becoming un-watchable. They make up rules every year that are killing the game. Players cant tackle let alone bump. Add to that players like Selwood and most of West Coast.
People are starting to turn off. I know I do some games cause I just cant stand it.
The umpires cannot just let play go, they have to get involved. Backmen are given no chance at all. And that prick Bartlett keeps trying to speed the game up to make sure players are run into the ground before they can get anywhere close to 403 games and destroy his legacy.

You are suggesting the AFL Umpires Department has chosen to award less free kicks to the Carlton Football Club because our captain posted certain demeaning comments on a social media platform. This is your opinion, am I right?

The game is fast becoming un-watchable. They make up rules every year that are killing the game. Players cant tackle let alone bump. Add to that players like Selwood and most of West Coast.
People are starting to turn off. I know I do some games cause I just cant stand it.
The umpires cannot just let play go, they have to get involved. Backmen are given no chance at all. And that prick Bartlett keeps trying to speed the game up to make sure players are run into the ground before they can get anywhere close to 403 games and destroy his legacy.
Free kicks used to be awarded when a player was impeded. You no longer even hear that word much.

You are suggesting the AFL Umpires Department has chosen to award less free kicks to the Carlton Football Club because our captain posted certain demeaning comments on a social media platform. This is your opinion, am I right?
No, actually your not. I didn't say that, nor is it my opinion. Whether it is a choice, subconscious dislike, or merely coincidence, I am not in a position to judge. I stand by my opinion that we haven't had the rub of the green since about that time though. Take from that what you will.

Not so much the not getting the rub of the green... thought we got some cheapies today but it's the inconsistency that is frustrating - 3 umpires different levels of tolerance we see one game...

Maybe the umpiring coaches/panel should be working on developing teams of umpires rather than each umpire to the standard?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back