Roast The state of modern football media...

Mar 19, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
S.A Spurs, Liverpool
Hello,

I thought I'd post a chat I had with a friend today and just open the floor to discussion on the state of the AFL media landscape in 2022.

Chat-with-Nick.jpg

I'd prefer if this didn't end up becoming people arguing about whether Noble deserves to stay or not, I'm not making any point about that and we already have the 'Bye Bye Nobles' thread for that.

I'm interested in the way that discussion and debate take place these days. How much the tail wags the dog.

For example, that thing about the internal communications that was basically a standard market segmentation plan, but got reported like we were about to re-rebrand back to 'Kangaroos' and move to Tasmania. That document was two years old by the way.

This leaked email from Adrian Kinwhatshisman. One email from a coterie member, that gets reported as 'Prestigious coterie group demands complete management spill.' It's just mindless static.

Some of these things might be news (the first one definitely wasn't) but to not call the club for comment? It's just sneaky and opportunistic to me. It's what people do when clicks mean more than anything else.

And hey, that's the ongoing fact of the reality that is the death (or at least sharp defunding) of traditional media and the rise of the 'demosphere' of citizen journalists. I could write an essay on why these things are all actually really GOOD for the world in some ways. But around football, it's a complete circus.

Any thoughts welcome. Have at it. Thanks.

Attachments

• Chat-with-Nick.jpg
    Chat-with-Nick.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 43
Hello,

I thought I'd post a chat I had with a friend today and just open the floor to discussion on the state of the AFL media landscape in 2022.

View attachment 1440662

I'd prefer if this didn't end up becoming people arguing about whether Noble deserves to stay or not, I'm not making any point about that and we already have the 'Bye Bye Nobles' thread for that.

I'm interested in the way that discussion and debate take place these days. How much the tail wags the dog.

For example, that thing about the internal communications that was basically a standard market segmentation plan, but got reported like we were about to re-rebrand back to 'Kangaroos' and move to Tasmania. That document was two years old by the way.

This leaked email from Adrian Kinwhatshisman. One email from a coterie member, that gets reported as 'Prestigious coterie group demands complete management spill.' It's just mindless static.

Some of these things might be news (the first one definitely wasn't) but to not call the club for comment? It's just sneaky and opportunistic to me. It's what people do when clicks mean more than anything else.

And hey, that's the ongoing fact of the reality that is the death (or at least sharp defunding) of traditional media and the rise of the 'demosphere' of citizen journalists. I could write an essay on why these things are all actually really GOOD for the world in some ways. But around football, it's a complete circus.

It's the conversion of clicks to subscription which is the real KPI for articles so they have to make the headlines sensational enough to entice people to want to pay. Good news stories wont do this but gossip and innuendo will. Football is incredibly emotive and the media play on that, they just don't care if the emotions they are generating are harmful.

The interest in information is so strong. It's why our number 1 poster on here is someone that just posts media articles. Everyone wants to know everything.

Swallow_Wood

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hello,

View attachment 1440662

There are 1800 accredited AFL journalists. That's more journos than players and coaches combined. They have to expand any skerrick of a story to give themselves something to write about, and the more headline grabbing the story the greater the capacity to differentiate themselves in a crammed landscape.

I was talking to a mate about this last year. His grandpa was a commentator back in the day and knew everyone, and everyone knew him. Because the world was smaller, there were less players, far less reporters and far less people consuming media like the bloated, info loading pigs we are, players could live their lives relatively freely. This blokes grandpa knew all the foibles of each of the big names, knew which cops and crims drank with which players, knew who got locked up and for what, but there was a unwritten rule that this s**t stayed in house. They looked after each other. Now the media are promoting the reporters as stars in their own right, personalities who must be listened to, who have become pigs at the trough of the 24 hour news cycle, separating themselves from the pack by picking up on a conversation someone may have had over a beer with a past player and turning it into a crisis story.

They are a pack of ******* vultures, a joke to their profession. The AFL should limit their accreditation numbers to 100, but they wont do that, coz clicks. And they love that revenue. Any press is good press to the AFL. Unless it makes HQ look bad. Then they supress it.

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What is astonishing is people don’t paint the same brush with the general main steam media (MSM).

Most people despise the AFL media but then follow whatever is said in the MSM like it’s bloody gospel.

99% of the media is fabricated hysteria and lies across the board to push their chosen narratives. It’s hard not to fall for it nowadays though.

What is astonishing is people don’t paint the same brush with the general main steam media (MSM).

Most people despise the AFL media but then follow whatever is said in the MSM like it’s bloody gospel.

99% of the media is fabricated hysteria and lies across the board to push their chosen narratives. It’s hard not to fall for it nowadays though.
The reality is they are both very similar now.

They guy who wrote Dune was very prescient. Millenia before Dune happens there is a jihad in human society that wipes out thinking machines. A decade of smart phones and its easy to see why. Human's and media itself weren't that great to begin with either.

Everything is a competition for attention. We evolved to give our attention to threats and resources and probably not in that order. Its easy to see why this has happened the way it has given that we are wired by evolution to seek resources (ie information in this case.)

Yeah anyway ... this is basically what Mav said three posts ago. LOL

Back