Analysis The state of our game

Remove this Banner Ad

Poor Bruce just trying to be one of the boys. They of course played the game , he didn't. Poor Bruce so stupid to be even trying to be like Carey and his behaviours as a footballer, Taylor and his way out of date playing days or even Richardson with his snide remarks and bullying of Ling.
Poor Bruce can't even raise his excruciating 'look at me' standards high
Nobody ever asked Richie Benaud to tell a fart joke on-air.

What we've at least started to see now, is every club member believing they are as good a chance as any other to win flags sufficiently far into the future. Plenty of fans of the above four clubs would have previously never thought it possible.

Perhaps, but surely the key component is the same - a club has to be run properly and professionally to be any chance at a flag. In the previous era hardly any club was run that way. It’s no surprise half the competition didn’t get any success.

Geelong in 2007 and Richmond in 2017 both demonstrated this, far from being a flash in the pan, they were each the result of nearly a decade of patient development and improvement. Clubs in the 1970s and 1980s just didn’t think like that.

Saints atop the ladder.
Fremantle third.
Sydney, Melbourne a bee's dick from the bottom.
Is this the state of the game that the AFL planned for, or has something gone awry?

Saints atop the ladder.
Fremantle third.
Sydney, Melbourne a bee's dick from the bottom.
Is this the state of the game that the AFL planned for, or has something gone awry?
Sydney have a crap list. They don’t surprise me at all. Melbourne are just mentally soft. No surprises they can fall in a heap too. The weight of expectation has always brought them unstuck. Freo are a bit surprising but i don’t see them staying up the ladder for long.

Saints are a real surprise. But they haven’t exactly beaten a form team yet. They got essendon when they were shocking, melbourne are going poorly, hawthorn choked hard and got injuries and just scraped over the line vs suns. But somethings thats all it takes to build momentum and belief. They might continue to do well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back