The State of some BBL squads

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a look through some of the BBL squads and was staggered to see that some look like they are putting together a grade side.

eaxh side should be trying to bring through some young hopeful(s) - but there are squads with more hopefuls and also rans then there are top performers

each team has the same salary cap - I don’t get it

the nature of T20 means that on any given day a team could win - but in terms of winning the tournament- there’s some squads that just don’t have a chance (and haven’t for a while)

Had a look through some of the BBL squads and was staggered to see that some look like they are putting together a grade side.

eaxh side should be trying to bring through some young hopeful(s) - but there are squads with more hopefuls and also rans then there are top performers

each team has the same salary cap - I don’t get it

the nature of T20 means that on any given day a team could win - but in terms of winning the tournament- there’s some squads that just don’t have a chance (and haven’t for a while)
It's a bit like the AFL.

There's just not enough good players to go around IMO.

but there isn’t the limitation on talent like the draft though - plus players can walk at the end of contracts

so far easier to restock your team
The majority of players usually only leave their home state if they can't get a regular game.

The odd ones move late in their career like Smarsh to top up their super.

There's just not enough good players to go around.

There does seem to be a clear lack of quality batsmen in particular with a few sides not having much outside of their top 4.

I would love to know how contracts work regarding guys like Alex Carey and Travis Head, surely you can't be on over six figures for a team you literally don't play any games for.

I’d like to see incentives for sides to have at least one Associate player in their squad, that wouldn’t take up an international slot. I guess you could get ultra lucky with a Lamichanne talent but in general it’d lift the lower end standard of the comp.

the difference between the IPL and Big Bash, is that window where all teams around the world where they can cherry pick which international players they want.

For some teams, the batting just drops off dramatically from 6 onwards.

There needs to be serious consideration to allow our national players to come back and play for the BBL in a window somewhere. If you add 13 or so of our players playing in the national test , and say each team gets 2 players each, all of a sudden the depth and standard is much better. It won't happen though- because CA are worried about delivering quantity over quality.

Not sure where some are saying the quality drops off after 6.

Some squads it drops off after 1 or 2.

Strikers had maybe Renshaw as someone you could say was top talent in their top 7.

Weatherald is hanging on, Short is having a good start to the season and Well is a journeyman.

Yes I know they are missing two bats - but geez that is lean.

If the sixers squad missed say philippe and henriques - they would still have 5 genuine bats (assuming curran was fit).

The competition is just wedged between international cricket which has taken a truck load of talent out via australia, australia a, as well as the touring team/s.

CA needs to do something desperately (i don't hold out much hope they will) to reinvigorate the BBL as a competition. Even bringing it down to a 4 week comp, 1 team per state (state rivalries mean nothing) and having it tailored to maximise playable talent.

It's not that is generally unwatchable, i mean you could stick a local grade 20/20 game on and it would still be watchable, but theres no doubting the lure of any top tier comp is the talent.

Yes I know they are missing two bats - but geez that is lean.

If the sixers squad missed say philippe and henriques - they would still have 5 genuine bats (assuming curran was fit).

Philippe and Henriques have top scored 4 out of the 5 games they have played. If they were missing Philippe and Henriques their top 5 would be Vince, Edwards, Hughes, Silk, Christian. Maybe not quite as bad as Adelaide but still extremely mediocre.

Philippe and Henriques have top scored 4 out of the 5 games they have played. If they were missing Philippe and Henriques their top 5 would be Vince, Edwards, Hughes, Silk, Christian. Maybe not quite as bad as Adelaide but still extremely mediocre.
Vince Hughes Silk and Christian are reasonable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few teams will be impacted by the England t20 squad:
Eoin Morgan (Middlesex – captain), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), Tom Banton (Somerset), Sam Billings (Kent), Liam Dawson (Hampshire), George Garton (Sussex), Chris Jordan (Surrey), Liam Livingstone (Lancashire), Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire), Tymal Mills (Sussex), David Payne (Gloucestershire), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Jason Roy (Surrey), Phil Salt (Lancashire), Reece Topley (Surrey), James Vince (Hampshire).

I’d like to see incentives for sides to have at least one Associate player in their squad, that wouldn’t take up an international slot. I guess you could get ultra lucky with a Lamichanne talent but in general it’d lift the lower end standard of the comp.

Yeah i agree but CA do SFA for associates

I was listening to Carl Sandri on a podcast during the T20WC who is the PNG coach and he said ideally if the BBL could sign up some of these talented PNG players and classify them as local players it can only help PNG cricket as it gives theses players more exposure to develop these skills and become better players to take back when they are playing for PNG.

Because atm no BBL will touch them as they will take an O/S spot

The competition is just wedged between international cricket which has taken a truck load of talent out via australia, australia a, as well as the touring team/s.

CA needs to do something desperately (i don't hold out much hope they will) to reinvigorate the BBL as a competition. Even bringing it down to a 4 week comp, 1 team per state (state rivalries mean nothing) and having it tailored to maximise playable talent.

It's not that is generally unwatchable, i mean you could stick a local grade 20/20 game on and it would still be watchable, but theres no doubting the lure of any top tier comp is the talent.

CA will probably think the BBL is the best T20 comp in the world now we are T20 world champions

A few teams will be impacted by the England t20 squad:
Eoin Morgan (Middlesex – captain), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), Tom Banton (Somerset), Sam Billings (Kent), Liam Dawson (Hampshire), George Garton (Sussex), Chris Jordan (Surrey), Liam Livingstone (Lancashire), Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire), Tymal Mills (Sussex), David Payne (Gloucestershire), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Jason Roy (Surrey), Phil Salt (Lancashire), Reece Topley (Surrey), James Vince (Hampshire).

Thank you so much England for taking Garton away

don't let him return please

Your season will be over before he leaves
This is the silly thing of having 5 teams of 8 make the playoffs.
At 1-4 Strikers are currently in 6th spot albeit with the help of 3 Big Bash points and they're just one point behind Heat in 5th.
Yes it's a long season and any one of these teams could go on a 8 game winning streak and finish top but the 5th side isn't good enough.
Once again it's the Scorchers and Sixers light years ahead of everyone else.
They've won 6 of 10 titles between them and can't see anyone else but one of them winning it again.

The BBL made it's own bed early on when clubs continually went for journeymen rather than developing there own. No surprise the clubs who are always there about have developed there own and held onto them.

Sports in Australia have this weird obsession with wanting to be competitive rather than develop for the future. Renegades can feel aggrieved that even though this season hasn't gone to plan, they have pushed games in Harvey, Fraser - McGurk, Couch.

I'd like to see more talent spread across the competition, ala retention like the IPL. Imagine the Scorchers needing to decide they want to keep?

I don't mind the idea or a reverse order draft

but let's be honest merge gades and stars

add in 3 to 5 NZ teams problem solved
Why would New Zealand join when they have their own, better, T20 comp? Why do people think it's some magical solution to the BBL? It's a dumb idea

Why would New Zealand join when they have their own, better, T20 comp? Why do people think it's some magical solution to the BBL? It's a dumb idea
we don't have enough players

would add some trans tasman rivalry

Remove this Banner Ad

Back