Analysis How the state of the game has evolved, is the increased rate of injuries a result of of the evolution

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure Eade was the flood pioneer 90's and Roos

you could go back further to Eade as far as being answerable.

Yes, exactly my point about interchange jumping from 2 to 4 in middle 90's.
1996 , which is soon after this big change to game, the flood pioneer Eade had it happening at Swans team in it's early stages. It took another decade for coaches to fully exploit the bench to be used for rotations so flooding or territory invasion which the new word for it now, became the norm across the league. By this stage some players, particularly key forwards like Lance Whitnall and Cam Mooney came out of career earlier than expected because they could not do this running up the ground from end to end that now was required to maximise full team territory invasion. Rotating players off bench only rest from that, if you not fit enough to keep running up and down ground after a rest you got to pull pin on career. Now the whole pre-season seems 90% on get players fit enough to do that.

Umpiring is s**t

It is, but the coaches are primarily responsible for stuffing up the game, starting with Roos/Lyon/Wallace circa early 2000's.

The AFL can't fix it without making radical changes.

Examples of this happening in the last five years, inside the National Draft?

I asked something similar....because it seems to me that all the best footballers at the youth level are the ones filling all the national draft spots. The odd athlete project player might get a look in as a rookie and even then as class b rookie

The response I got was that apparently even the youth pathways are picking athletes now and shunning actual footballers...and then it's just a case of the best junior athletes beating the next best athletes as they are spared from actually competing with actual footballers...it is just absurd

i hate the current rules.
its like every contest you expect free kicks.

and the constant talk of OTT rule changes (zones etc.)

surprisingly the best footy to watch is wet weather footy.
The number of free kicks per game is the lowest it's been in at least 50 years, probably ever. The number of free kicks paid per game in the 80s was double what is paid today.

It's a s**t sport compared to what it used to be. It's either repeat entries into a clogged 50 until a free kick or a scrappy snap or the team rebounds and has a 3-1 at the other end where a running race occurs before someone dribbles it over like from the goalsquare with no one within 50m.

It's easily fixed, remove the bench and only have 'subs'. If you come off you are done for the day. Players will get tired and players get slower when they are tired but not shorter. It will encourage forwards to spend more time in the 50.

I hate watching modern footy, Melbourne draft this guy Hogan and all we wanna do is build his tank so he can play midfield. Same with Petracca same with Riewoldt and Franklin etc.
Forward craft is at an all time low. If Plugger was playing now he would be playing as a big bodied midfielder being asked to strip weight and run around more.

Hallejujah brother !! :thumbsu:

Talent pool is fine, it’s the rules and the fact that the coaches manipulate them to their advantage.

Agree. It's ridiculous that coaches seem to go out of their way to do their jobs.

It is, but the coaches are primarily responsible for stuffing up the game, starting with Roos/Lyon/Wallace circa early 2000's.

The AFL can't fix it without making radical changes.

We've added massive money to the game. This has added massive incentive to the game for the highest paid (ie. coaches, players and leeches, err, AFL Management). It's not the coaches fault that they're doing what they're paid to do.

Just heard Jason Dunstall say tonight that way too many footballers try to act tough AFTER someone makes a mistake by getting in their face, etc, and would prefer to see this "toughness" translate to their attack on the ball and the contest instead. Never a truer word spoken.

Just heard Jason Dunstall say tonight that way too many footballers try to act tough AFTER someone makes a mistake by getting in their face, etc, and would prefer to see this "toughness" translate to their attack on the ball and the contest instead. Never a truer word spoken.

Meh it's all part of the theater, players can't show any passion anymore and it atleast adds to the spectacle.

two games today ******* atrocious. Absolute shambolic. Once again tonight's games should be good or at least promises to be. But * there has been some insipid s**t dished up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, exactly my point about interchange jumping from 2 to 4 in middle 90's.
1996 , which is soon after this big change to game, the flood pioneer Eade had it happening at Swans team in it's early stages. It took another decade for coaches to fully exploit the bench to be used for rotations so flooding or territory invasion which the new word for it now, became the norm across the league. By this stage some players, particularly key forwards like Lance Whitnall and Cam Mooney came out of career earlier than expected because they could not do this running up the ground from end to end that now was required to maximise full team territory invasion. Rotating players off bench only rest from that, if you not fit enough to keep running up and down ground after a rest you got to pull pin on career. Now the whole pre-season seems 90% on get players fit enough to do that.

Agreed that Interchange needs to be capped at lower number than 90. 120 minutes of footy and 90 interchanges equals a rotation every 90 odd seconds.... do we really a player coming off every 90 seconds?. Cap it to 50 or 40 and see what happens

I’ve probably watched the wrong games this week but you could hardly argue that swans-crows blues-eagles cats-port were free flowing spectacles.

Seems like 90% of goals these days are cheapies when a side gets over the back or from a stoppage once it’s been locked inside their forwardlibr for 5 minutes

Agreed that Interchange needs to be capped at lower number than 90. 120 minutes of footy and 90 interchanges equals a rotation every 90 odd seconds.... do we really a player coming off every 90 seconds?. Cap it to 50 or 40 and see what happens
Just get rid of it altogether and go back to subs. Interchange is the worst "innovation" ever introduced into our game.

The biggest issue after the travel inequity is the fact most of the players leaving Gold Coast and The Giants seem to be going back to Victorian teams. I have no doubt that Jaeger Omeara ( a WA Boy ) thought that if he come back to WA he would be lucky to make 100 games with all he flights, I know that Patrick Cripps has no intention of coming back to a WA team because of this very reason which if the situation was reversed I'm sure there would be a Victorian Outcry. How long before its addressed that the last dozen Premierships are from Victoria ? and the last 2 pinched by teams not in the 8 the year before ? this speaks volumes for the advantages of being based out of Victoria.

The biggest issue after the travel inequity is the fact most of the players leaving Gold Coast and The Giants seem to be going back to Victorian teams. I have no doubt that Jaeger Omeara ( a WA Boy ) thought that if he come back to WA he would be lucky to make 100 games with all he flights, I know that Patrick Cripps has no intention of coming back to a WA team because of this very reason which if the situation was reversed I'm sure there would be a Victorian Outcry. How long before its addressed that the last dozen Premierships are from Victoria ? and the last 2 pinched by teams not in the 8 the year before ? this speaks volumes for the advantages of being based out of Victoria.

Yes, the AFL should just move Perth...

Attacking the ball in today's game sounds like a good way for a player to get reported, or at least give away free kicks.

I’ve probably watched the wrong games this week but you could hardly argue that swans-crows blues-eagles cats-port were free flowing spectacles.

Seems like 90% of goals these days are cheapies when a side gets over the back or from a stoppage once it’s been locked inside their forwardlibr for 5 minutes

Noobpie disagrees with you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edited the thread title as it seems this season more than ever players are dropping at an all time rate. What's with blokes going down like cannon fodder. Top quality players getting hammered and players in general. Injuries have always occurred but already some lengthy stints on the sidelines for promising players.

Gazza, Ryan and Venables for WCE who were young up and comers killing it. Taberner for Freo was in stellar early season form and looking to elevate his game to an all time high and he went down. Rioli and Puopollo for the Hawkers. Higgins today getting collected etc. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

edited the thread title as it seems this season more than ever players are dropping at an all time rate. What's with blokes going down like cannon fodder. Top quality players getting hammered and players in general. Injuries have always occurred but already some lengthy stints on the sidelines for promising players.

Gazza, Ryan and Venables for WCE who were young up and comers killing it. Taberner for Freo was in stellar early season form and looking to elevate his game to an all time high and he went down. Rioli and Puopollo for the Hawkers. Higgins today getting collected etc. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Terry Wallace talked about this on SEN last week. Due to many phases of game played in near gridlock in one half of field for up to 5 minutes with 36 players around, the amount of collisions per games or just general big bodied hits is more per game than any time before. He reckons issues of concussion are just going to get worse and worse.

This to me just seems another by-product of the root cause which is jumping to 4 interchanges which lead to coaches eventual use of it to turn into a rotation system to get freshest 18 on field at any point in time and just territory invasion for many minutes of games. Play opens up from time to time but the game in one half of field with more players in less space can only lead to more collisions. Wallace made it sound like it is as much a 6 times as many hits to body than in his time. Never thought of it like that before but stunning if it is six times as much and red alert for general injuries but worse the body jarring hits to bodies that even if not concussed, those that been concussed before it is not good for their long term health.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back