The state of the Giants and Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

I know costs would be a bit more, but the AFL are already investing $25million in the Suns each year, surely they can find some money to invest into a state league. Get players payments up to the same level as the VFL, SANFL and WAFL. It’ll give the game much more exposure at the next level and path ways for players to develop.
Most of the money invested in VFL comes from AFL clubs, not directly from the AFL. Independent VFL clubs need members to sign up and rely mostly on volunteers. The same thing happens in Queensland, the 4 AFL clubs in the NEAFL are funded by them and the rest are run by members and volunteers of these clubs.

Brisbane have identified that they need to play attractive football to get crowds back, plus start winning, the AFL is also investing in grassroots and women's football. The more people who play the game at a younger age and will create generational change. Queensland is coming from a long way back.

Brisbane is also looking do double the number of kids in it's academy, leading to a bigger talent pool. If they don't make it these kids will go back to clubs and play club football. For example ex Lions player Rhan Hooper plays for Springwood Pumas and there are many others and will be more in the future.

It's a slow burn and needs to be sustainable. The TV rights more than cover this expenditure.

W
WA NSW and Vic govts to pay?
well in comparison when the suns came in the afl had to argue for 2years with the Queensland government to get some funding to upgrade the stadium they then handed your club one of the worst stadium deals in the league it’s not a private consortium pushing for a team in Tasmania it’s our government!

That doesn't mean the GC Suns as a franchise are worth it though. What about an investment into a popular club like the Southport Sharks or even something a little more inland? That could have been an option.

Apart from Toowoomba, which isn't very big in the grand scheme of things, there really isn't much from a population centre point of view away from the coast.

Cairns would have the biggest Aussie Rules interest and they're probably the size of a Ballarat or Bendigo.

Yes you were given everything but facilities but your most successful coach to date noted that facilities aren't an excuse, the biggest leg up in the history of the game, unfortunately it was a very poor place to set a team up. Regardless of the performance of the admin that's on the club, my club was a joke for 30 years due to incompetence and we weren't given anything to help rectify our situation. Why are the GC different?

You were given a couple of priority picks, Deledio and Rance, they're about the only 2 picks the club didn't * up for about a decade, although just looking at drafts from 2000 until Rance was picked up in 2007, Richmond didn't seem to have an over abundance of low picks so I'm assuming they kept trading them for older players.

How is it ironic? You guys got punished for 'not' tanking and then received pick 3 for "frawley compo".
Wrong on both counts. We didn't actually get punished for "not tanking". The fine was in fact handed straight back to us (with interest) so we could land Paul Roos as senior coach.

And the "Frawley Compo" was actually Free Agency compensation, and overall quite reasonable: a round 1 pick for an All Australian premiership winning defender whose already given five years service... I'm sure the Saints would get fairly compensated if and when they develop a player worth getting poached.

And the "Frawley Compo" was actually Free Agency compensation, and overall quite reasonable: a round 1 pick for an All Australian premiership winning defender whose already given five years service... I'm sure the Saints would get fairly compensated if and when they develop a player worth getting poached.
Yeh, so the Frawley compo was Free Agency Compensation...
And you mean like the 1st round compo we got for Goddard..??

Played the biggest straight Nuff bat there champ.

And you mean like the 1st round compo we got for Goddard..??
Right, so you do know what Free Agency compensation is. Excellent.

Also lol what a * up that was.. losing Goddard and getting in Trent Dennis-Lane. Cooked that as much as Melbourne picking Toumpas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aww no bois! We can’t test him and his internet tough guy persona!! Please don’t test him and play this game!!!

In all seriousness though, I’m pretty sure you’ve made this thread before (or responded multiple times to threads with a similar topic). You haven’t said anything new, you continue to be completely disingenuous as to why the AFL started the Suns and how long the plan was going to be.

The Suns are clearly a 50 year play, they clearly (like the giants) were going to cost a lot of money upon start and they clearly were going to have retention issues - as the Lions also had these issues for the better part of a decade. Should we shut down the Lions? No, but there’s many people here willing to shut down the Suns. The AFL makes more than enough money with the Suns in the league than they spend on assisting all the clubs combined. Tasmania is already coming apparently, so we will not be seeing the Suns moved either.

Also, I don’t think you’ve ever lived on the Gold Coast. I lived there for two years and it isn’t filled with broke tradies, bankrupt individuals (saying bankrupts is incorrect) and con-men. Now sure, the businesses might not be as big as the businesses in Sydney, but of coarse they wouldn’t be as big as some Sydney businesses. It’s a s**t comparison. Might want to think about things before talking out of your arse.

A 50 year play? Anyone who makes that kind of claim is delusional!
Laughable that you hold Andrew Demetriou in such high esteem. Just laughable.

Queensland declared the 'bankruptcy state'
30/08/2019|2min

More Queenslanders declared bankruptcy in 2017-18 than anywhere else in the country. Industry leaders pointed to contributors including a depressed housing market, a rise in unemployment and a decrease in jobs created in the private sector. In the 2017-18 financial year, 5,000 Queensland people or small businesses filed for bankruptcy and there were 9,000 cases of insolvency.

And if you are going to be the kind of knob that corrects grammar on a footy forum - at least learn how to spell 'course' before you start mouthing off.

The GC are a basket case.

A 50 year play? Anyone who makes that kind of claim is delusional!
Laughable that you hold Andrew Demetriou in such high esteem. Just laughable.

And if you are going to be the kind of knob that corrects grammar on a footy forum - at least learn how to spell 'course' before you start mouthing off.

The GC are a basket case.

Funny, I never mentioned Andrew, good on you for making an assumption on why it's clear to me that there was a long term play in mind. Also good on you for ignoring previous conversations we've had before.

Whilst the initial plan for the Suns was a complete botch and didn't work, the Suns (as well as the Lions) are causing an increase in numbers of kids playing footy. Now I'm not going to claim when the plan changed (probably around the same time the AFLW came up with it's big numbers too), only the AFL knows that, but something did change. Otherwise the Suns would've been folded around about last year. But they haven't, for the many reasons that Gold Coast and Lions fans have presented to you multiple times.

Also, whilst you're batting for me in regards to grammar (which is a little hypercritical), how about we talk about you trying to support the Gold Coast being filled with "bankrupts" but then quote a news story that has Queensland in the title and doesn't mention the Gold Coast at all?

From reading what you have presented in this post; Gold Coast can't find sponsors because Queensland has more cases of bankruptcy than any other state (this number is a combination of businesses and individuals), even though the Gold Coast doesn't even come close to representing the entire state. What you said in your previous post is still wrong. Further more, the article you have used stated 14,000 people either filed for bankruptcy or insolvency - 14,000 does not equal 5 million people (as of 2018), with the Gold Coast making up around 600,000 of that 5 mil. Is it a lot in comparison with other states? Yes. Does it represent the entirety of the Gold Coast? No, and you are extremely disingenuous for trying to claim so.

Also, I'll just forget that you've ignored what I said about you engaging in this conversation on multiple occasions and still bring nothing to the table outside of this equally laughable point about the Gold Coast being filled with "bankrupts".

You still would’ve ballsed it up if being were exactly the same.

Your fans have said the same thing - there was a remarkable lack of leadership recruited to the club upon foundation.

We took on some old campaigners that threw themselves at the young kids on the training track and set really high standards.

You had Garry getting them in a huddle and praying.
That’s not totally true. We also had K Hunt getting them high on coke on the golf course.

Slightly OT but Metricon is a horrible stadium to get to. When Essendon played there a few weeks ago I had to park at a shopping centre about twenty minutes walk away.

Slightly OT but Metricon is a horrible stadium to get to. When Essendon played there a few weeks ago I had to park at a shopping centre about twenty minutes walk away.
Silly location for a stadium, miles from anything. Its one advantage is being near the highway, and they've even ballsed that up by not allowing any parking nearby. Stadiums Queensland or GCCC or whomever else is responsible for that mess needs to be sacked.

They were assembled with immediate success in mind.

Were they? They had just as much youth on the list when they came in as GWS did.

A fair number of their expected good players and young leaders didn't pan out, due to injury, personal issues, or just wanting to leave. A lot of this was unforseen, because it was all a very new situation.

A lot of the off-field stuff and facilities were poorly thought out and a work in progress too. I think the club and the league expected the location to be more of a lure for both experienced stars and young talent as well.

Were they? They had just as much youth on the list when they came in as GWS did.

A fair number of their expected good players and young leaders didn't pan out, due to injury, personal issues, or just wanting to leave. A lot of this was unforseen, because it was all a very new situation.

A lot of the off-field stuff and facilities were poorly thought out and a work in progress too. I think the club and the league expected the location to be more of a lure for both experienced stars and young talent as well.
CBF looking it up but from memory they took more players from other clubs than we did. Apart from Scully, Ward and Davis, I can’t recall any players that weren’t destined for the scrapheap (McDonald, Power, Cornes, Brogan)

They took Ablett, Harbrow, Rischitelli, Bock, Campbell - all players much younger than our old heads we recruited.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back