The state of the Giants and Suns

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Swans won 3 matches in 1992. Giants contender for top 4 most of year.
449A80E9-E292-4110-9AEB-602FFDDDB061.gif

StevoJenkins

The Weekend Worker
Sep 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
AFL
Participation numbers are shady beyond hell. Cricket listed 1.6 million players which was found to be way off. AFL claims the same number & it's a contact sport. In reality all contact sports are contracting.

To be fair with the Cricket Australia number - apparently that 1.6 million included kids playing cricket in PE class, something kids have to do, whereas (from what I’ve seen) the AFL numbers are mostly from Aus Kick and clubs at junior level.

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
Haha - our latest favourite NRL code troll's constant posts on the Giants are as long on fear as they are short on any actual facts. In contrast, this post by BringBackTorps in the Footy Industry sub-forum has lots of actual facts about the great growth of grass roots Australian Football in the Giants catchment area -

In just eight short years, the GIANTS have reached a hugely significant milestone, passing 30,000 members for the first time.Sitting at 30,004 members, the GIANTS have smashed last year’s mark of 25,527 ahead of Saturday afternoon’s blockbuster clash with Collingwood at GIANTS Stadium. ...
membership.gwsgiants.com.au

2. The Allies (combined NSW/ACT/Qld./Tas./NT) defeated the perennial powerhouse Vic Metro in the national U 18 Championships, 11.4 to 10.8- the only other time they have done this, AFAIK, was in 2017, when they defeated Vic Metro by 3 points.

IIRC, 10 players in the 2019 game playing Vic Metro in Geelong were from NSW & ACT- & Vic. Metro had 2 players who many are expecting to be picked 1 & 2 in the 2019 National Draft.

aflnswact.com.au

Allies claim heart-stopper against the Vics
The Allies have taken out their first win of the 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships with victory over Vic Metro. Playing at GMHBA Stadium – home of the Geelong Cats – the Allies took it to their more-fancied opponents, leading…Read more ›
aflnswact.com.au
aflnswact.com.au
In an earlier game, of the 22 players in the Allies team in round 1, 12 were from NSW & ACT. The Allies were flogged by Vic Country in Launceston, but many players in this team were not included in the team that defeated Vic Metro- team familiarity is, of course, a problem for the dispersed Allies' team.

aflnswact.com.au

Allies team selected for first round of Championships
AFL NSW/ACT will have 12 players from the region playing as a part of the Allies this Sunday against Vic Country in Launceston.
aflnswact.com.au
aflnswact.com.au
3. These figures provide a snapshot of GR AF growth in the Sydney GWS Zone, & growth in the Swans' Sydney Zone. 2011 jnr figures were much lower.

2014 GWS Sydney Zone 10 U12 boys' Comp. teams
2014 nil U12 girls' teams (in fact, no girls' Comp. teams in any age groups)
2019 GWS Sydney Zone 18 U12 boys' Comp. teams
2019 GWS Sydney Zone 11 U13 girls' Comp. teams (nil U 12s)

2014 Swans' Sydney Zone 32 U12 boys' Comp. teams
2014 nil U12 girls' teams
2019 Swans' Sydney Zone 45 U12 boys' Comp. teams
2019 Swans' Sydney Zone 28 U12 girls' Comp. teams

Other competition age groups, in both Sydney Zones, have followed similar trajectories- but biggest growth is in the youngest players.
There are no comps. for 5-8 y.o players, only Auskick- which is also having strong growth.

2014 Sydney GPS, CAS, ISA private schools- nil AF U12 boys' school Comp. teams
2019 Sydney GPS, CAS, ISA- 17 AF U12 boys' school Comp. teams
(The above does not include the Sydney Catholic school system AF teams. Also, I could not obtain accurate figures for U12 girls' school teams- where school girls' comps., for all ages, commenced in 2018)

Fixtures & Results - AFL Sydney Juniors
Please select your region from the options below. From here you can select your competition from the drop-down box. Sydney Harbour Western Sydney Independent Schools
aflsj.com.au
aflsj.com.au
4. The Canberra Region Rugby League covers ACT, & includes adjoining NSW areas (eg Queanbeyan, Goulburn, Yass etc.). It is experiencing male GR decline.
In 2019, it has an U16 division (where players have boys' bodies) - but the next age group is U19 (where many players have large bodies). There are no U17 or U18 GR RL comps. in 2019 - extraordinary for such a large population area, c.510,000 +, in a RL stronghold.

CRRL
2018 U15-11 male teams, U16 8 teams, U18 6 teams, Youth League (U19 or U20?) 6 teams
2019 U15- 8 male teams, U16 11 teams, U19 7 teams

Results - Canberra Region Rugby League

www.crrl.com.au
www.crrl.com.au
In contrast, ACT GR male jnr AF comp. nos. are close to record highs.

Also, the sthn. NSW town of Wagga & district (population only c. 80,000+) is not part of AFL ACT comps.
The Wagga town & district have c. 12 adult AF teams (6 Seniors & 6 Reserves), 8 U15 male comp. teams, the Farrer League & Riverina Leagues have 8 U 17.5 male teams.
The 2019 Farrer League has 18 adult male teams (9 Seniors & 9 Reserves). The Riverina League also has 18 adult teams (9 seniors & 9 Reserves) ...

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
Participation numbers are shady beyond hell. Cricket listed 1.6 million players which was found to be way off. AFL claims the same number & it's a contact sport. In reality all contact sports are contracting.

Is that the best you have? An unsubstantiated claim that the AFL participation figures are "shady"? What alternative substantiated figures can you offer?

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

And anyone who focusses solely on the headline figure without doing the further reading shouldnt bother commentating.

Your trolling here is rapidly becoming tiresome.

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Haha - our latest favourite NRL code troll's constant posts on the Giants are as long on fear as they are short on any actual facts. In contrast, this post by BringBackTorps in the Footy Industry sub-forum has lots of actual facts about the great growth of grass roots Australian Football in the Giants catchment area -

In just eight short years, the GIANTS have reached a hugely significant milestone, passing 30,000 members for the first time.Sitting at 30,004 members, the GIANTS have smashed last year’s mark of 25,527 ahead of Saturday afternoon’s blockbuster clash with Collingwood at GIANTS Stadium. ...

2. The Allies (combined NSW/ACT/Qld./Tas./NT) defeated the perennial powerhouse Vic Metro in the national U 18 Championships, 11.4 to 10.8- the only other time they have done this, AFAIK, was in 2017, when they defeated Vic Metro by 3 points.

IIRC, 10 players in the 2019 game playing Vic Metro in Geelong were from NSW & ACT- & Vic. Metro had 2 players who many are expecting to be picked 1 & 2 in the 2019 National Draft.

aflnswact.com.au

Allies claim heart-stopper against the Vics
The Allies have taken out their first win of the 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships with victory over Vic Metro. Playing at GMHBA Stadium – home of the Geelong Cats – the Allies took it to their more-fancied opponents, leading…Read more ›
aflnswact.com.au
aflnswact.com.au
In an earlier game, of the 22 players in the Allies team in round 1, 12 were from NSW & ACT. The Allies were flogged by Vic Country in Launceston, but many players in this team were not included in the team that defeated Vic Metro- team familiarity is, of course, a problem for the dispersed Allies' team.

aflnswact.com.au

Allies team selected for first round of Championships
AFL NSW/ACT will have 12 players from the region playing as a part of the Allies this Sunday against Vic Country in Launceston.
aflnswact.com.au
aflnswact.com.au
3. These figures provide a snapshot of GR AF growth in the Sydney GWS Zone, & growth in the Swans' Sydney Zone. 2011 jnr figures were much lower.

Other competition age groups, in both Sydney Zones, have followed similar trajectories- but biggest growth is in the youngest players.
There are no comps. for 5-8 y.o players, only Auskick- which is also having strong growth.

(The above does not include the Sydney Catholic school system AF teams. Also, I could not obtain accurate figures for U12 girls' school teams- where school girls' comps., for all ages, commenced in 2018)

Fixtures & Results - AFL Sydney Juniors
Please select your region from the options below. From here you can select your competition from the drop-down box. Sydney Harbour Western Sydney Independent Schools
aflsj.com.au
aflsj.com.au
4. The Canberra Region Rugby League covers ACT, & includes adjoining NSW areas (eg Queanbeyan, Goulburn, Yass etc.). It is experiencing male GR decline.
In 2019, it has an U16 division (where players have boys' bodies) - but the next age group is U19 (where many players have large bodies). There are no U17 or U18 GR RL comps. in 2019 - extraordinary for such a large population area, c.510,000 +, in a RL stronghold.

CRRL
2018 U15-11 male teams, U16 8 teams, U18 6 teams, Youth League (U19 or U20?) 6 teams
2019 U15- 8 male teams, U16 11 teams, U19 7 teams

Results - Canberra Region Rugby League

www.crrl.com.au
www.crrl.com.au
In contrast, ACT GR male jnr AF comp. nos. are close to record highs.

Also, the sthn. NSW town of Wagga & district (population only c. 80,000+) is not part of AFL ACT comps.
The Wagga town & district have c. 12 adult AF teams (6 Seniors & 6 Reserves), 8 U15 male comp. teams, the Farrer League & Riverina Leagues have 8 U 17.5 male teams.
The 2019 Farrer League has 18 adult male teams (9 Seniors & 9 Reserves). The Riverina League also has 18 adult teams (9 seniors & 9 Reserves) ...
Giants spend more money on members than they make - that should tell you everything.

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
Giants spend more money on members than they make - that should tell you everything.

Lucky they have AFL support for the next twenty to thirty years until they capture a significant slice of the Sydney market to get in excess of 60,000 members.

And they will.

25,243 members in 2018 is a good start

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
Looks like afl have been up to there old tricks again inflating gws offical crowd numbers the crowd was not even close to 19,000 yesterday any one watching could see that disgraceful conduct buy the afl !
No - this is totally untrue. The ground holds 24,000 and the lower bowl, which holds 75% of the capacity, was basically full. I guessed the crowd a around 20,000 and having actually been at the ground a number of times now (which I've previously posted about) I trust my estimates much more than those who have never been there. The crowd yesterday was more than I expected.

In addition, AFL attendances are audited and in the case of Adelaide Oval in its first year, the AFL constantly revised downwards the attendance figure given by Adelaide Oval officials, as they included staff.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
No - this is totally untrue. The ground holds 24,000 and the lower bowl, which holds 75% of the capacity, was basically full. I guessed the crowd a around 20,000 and having actually been at the ground a number of times now (which I've previously posted about) I trust my estimates much more than those who have never been there. The crowd yesterday was more than I expected.

In addition, AFL attendances are audited and in the case of Adelaide Oval in its first year, the AFL constantly revised downwards the attendance figure given by Adelaide Oval officials, as they included staff.
I’ve been there So if there was 19,000 that whole top section must only only hold 5,000 that I find hard to believe there looked like 2-3 thousand more then an average home around 14-15 thousand at best it seems I’m not the only one that noticed big write up in heraldsun today talking about how small crowd was and how they were making fake crowd noises over PA system this is so desperate!

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Herald-Sun showed the one and only empty grandstand - and the grandstands (or upper decks) just aren't that big at that ground. The photo in the HS actually shows how small that grandstand is. The one thing I will agree with is the "Go Giants Go" rubbish over the PA - totally cringeworthy and unnecessary and should be canned.

That said, from what I've seen from the impressive grassroots growth in Sydney's west since GWS was established, it's an important club for the development of our game and they are developing solid roots there - support for the club has definitely increased markedly in the last few years.

As you can see from my posts on the Tassie thread, I support the bid. However having cheap and shortsighted potshots at the new clubs in the large developing markets will only undermine, not help, the bid.

Last edited:

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
The Herald-Sun showed the one and only empty grandstand - and the grandstands (or upper decks) just aren't that big at that ground. The photo in the HS actually shows how small that grandstand is. The one thing I will agree with is the "Go Giants Go" rubbish over the PA - totally cringeworthy and unnecessary and should be canned.

That said, from what I've seen from the impressive grassroots growth in Sydney's west since GWS was established, it's an important club for the development of our game and they are developing solid roots there - support for the club has definitely increased markedly in the last few years.

As you can see from my posts on the Tassie thread, I support the bid. However having cheap and shortsighted potshots at the new clubs in the large developing markets will only undermine, not help, the bid.
How does a team playing out of Homebush, with very little support both live & watching on TV, increase grass roots in Western Sydney?

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney

Guess media are out to get club as well then?

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
It didn't take long for our Giants obsessed NRL troll to be back.

The Giants do probably more work than any other club at the grassroots level than any other club. It's no coincidence that the very strong grassroots growth of our game in Sydney's west (after little growth when it was just the Swans in Sydney, who concentrated Moreno in the Easyern and North Shore suburbs) has occurred since the introduction of the Giants. Here's one example -

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
It didn't take long for our Giants obsessed NRL troll to be back.

The Giants do probably more work than any other club at the grassroots level than any other club. It's no coincidence that the very strong grassroots growth of our game in Sydney's west (after little growth when it was just the Swans in Sydney, who concentrated Moreno in the Easyern and North Shore suburbs) has occurred since the introduction of the Giants. Here's one example -
Participation grew at small percentage from a very low base - most from girls playing. From memory 2%. I know all the figures.

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
Participation grew at small percentage from a very low base - most from girls playing. From memory 2%. I know all the figures.
It's touching that you show such an obsessive interest in the Giants to "know all the figures". Then again, so you should as they've already been provided previously by BringBackTorps (see thread above). However your 2% figure shows a monumental math failure. The number of junior clubs and teams numbers now are significant, and we're already seeing GWS academy players graduating to the senior list.Here's the figures again -
In just eight short years, the GIANTS have reached a hugely significant milestone, ... These figures provide a snapshot of GR AF growth in the Sydney GWS Zone, & growth in the Swans' Sydney Zone. 2011 jnr figures were much lower.

aflsj.com.au

aflsj.com.au

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
How does a team playing out of Homebush, with very little support both live & watching on TV, increase grass roots in Western Sydney?
How does someone who has never posted anything other than bullshit about a club supposedly noone cares about continue to try and be relevant here?

Edit. I mean seriously. Have you even posted about your own club?

Back