WilloTree

Premiership Player
Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Why not just make Clarko the head of the umpires and cut out the middle man?
Good idea. Then just get Cam Mooney to throw another tantie on television.

He really embarrassed himself last week. Pathetic effort that the AFL collapsed under his comments.
imgres.jpg

TheKITC

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
I'll just repeat for any Mod that comes across this thread what I said in the OP...

** Mods, do your thing obviously - but I think this requires some genuine discussion and things tend to die and be buried on the Umpiring and Rules board, no offense to anyone that frequents that one. Felt it worthy of being on the main board **

EDIT: Chief, could this please be considered.

Last edited:

smasha

πŸ…πŸ…πŸ…πŸ…πŸ…πŸ…πŸ…πŸ…πŸ…πŸ…πŸ…πŸ…πŸ…
Sep 7, 2003
Richmond Paddock
AFL Club
Richmond
Richmond down the bottom for umpiring but still get cries of outroar from oppo fans,I shudder to think if we got kissed on the dick like West Coast,Collingwood and Geelong.

AFL would decomission the umpires if that happened forced by the media.

What a joke!

One particular umpire has paid us one hanful of frees,yes I said it right,ONE handful of frees in 4 games while paying our opponents 48 frees in those 4 games.

That is borderline corrupt.

Changing of rules after Richmond winning the flag now umpires.

Cmon AFL,stop playing your grand final with Richmond.

Lavender Bushranger

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Surely this has been a directive from the AFL?

The umpiring this season has been beyond bad. Simply terrible.

I usually don't blame the umpires themselves for the appalling adjudication of the game, but instead blame the rule makers and political power brokers at ghe AFL.

But this season they've been legitimately shithouse.

But I've noticed over the past month, the broadcasters don't replay the shitly incorrect decisions that are made at almost every contest.

Curious.

Jul 2, 2018
Somerset Tasmania
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Swan Districts FC WAFL
I'm afraid I cannot complain about any of the AFL season 2020 because it's just extraordinary circumstances that we have the football at all.
I'll even spare the weakest incompetent component of the game ,the umpires alone.

Hot Diggity

All Australian
Jun 19, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm afraid I cannot complain about any of the AFL season 2020 because it's just extraordinary circumstances that we have the football at all.
I'll even spare the weakest incompetent component of the game ,the umpires alone.
No way. They are ******* useless full stop. They need to be held accountable. We crucify players and coaches for getting it wrong - these guys are a key part of the AFL "product", yet their incompetence is affecting the standard of play too often.

brutus76

Premium Platinum
Jul 26, 2016
Brisbane (VIC until 21, SA until mid 30's)
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
LFC, Brisbane Lions
Eleni and #8 last night were deplorable and too inconsistent. No parity, clarity or consistency.

I don't mind wishy, washy tiggy touchwood BS umpiring if it's consistent. It wasn't

It was one rule for GC and one for BL

Props to her for being able to bounce the ball - #8 needs to go home to his mum and practice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WodgerWabbit

Draftee
Apr 17, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
The umpiring decisions this year have been inconsistent. Some of this is because umpires have made bad decisions and the afl should admit these errors. The other issues are:
1. Many of our rules require umpires to interpret the circumstances around around a contest and even read the players minds (intent) under pressure with no time to think.
2. The afl rule managers are regularly changing the interpretation of the rules.
Solution
1. Remove as much of the interpretation as possible - i.e. if a player does not dispose of the ball by handball or kick issue a free. Don't accept the ball falling out in the contest. No hand in the back in marking contest. Etc.
2. Don't change rule interpretation during the season.

andon

Team Captain
Jul 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Shocking umpiring between Collingwood and Gold Coast lastnight, amazing lop sided decisions yet again.

Gold Coast could never have won, Collingwood cant lose.

The most concerning aspect of this once great game is the disparity of free kicks between certain teams and why its happening.

Plugger35

The umpires are always right!
Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Pies 18 to 8 free kicks against GC, smells to me.
Not to mention the two soft 50 metre penalties that Collingwood got that resulted in goals.

With lopsided umpiring like that it's like one team trying to win by running uphill while the other teams runs downhill.

Umpiring should be fair and balanced but too often it seams like the umpires have an agenda to favour one team over the other which spoils the contest.

greatwhiteshark

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Impossible job with the rules changing weekly and to many rules with sub rules attached to them.
A fairly easy game to umpire once but now its just one huge mess.

Oscarman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2004
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MUFC, Parra, Jacksonville
The inconsistency is the worst part. Not paying the same infringements to both teams just make it look corrupt and part of making sure certain teams make the finals.

smasha

πŸ…πŸ…πŸ…πŸ…πŸ…πŸ…πŸ…πŸ…πŸ…πŸ…πŸ…πŸ…πŸ…
Sep 7, 2003
Richmond Paddock
AFL Club
Richmond
View attachment 959510
trip.....no ....play on
Yet the media put a space shuttle fuel booster tank of mayo on the few decisions we got.

Richmond now has moved to second bottom on the frees table.

Swallowed whistles a plenty,Geelong game,no mention of it by the media,swallowed their tongues.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad