Umpiring The State of Umpiring in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes and I believe he has a high strike rate for correct calls

772ac16e72ba9bb3b7a8f583e5023ad5
3 strikes your out

I'll just repeat for any Mod that comes across this thread what I said in the OP...

** Mods, do your thing obviously - but I think this requires some genuine discussion and things tend to die and be buried on the Umpiring and Rules board, no offense to anyone that frequents that one. Felt it worthy of being on the main board **

EDIT: Chief, could this please be considered.

Last edited:
Richmond down the bottom for umpiring but still get cries of outroar from oppo fans,I shudder to think if we got kissed on the dick like West Coast,Collingwood and Geelong.

AFL would decomission the umpires if that happened forced by the media.

What a joke!

One particular umpire has paid us one hanful of frees,yes I said it right,ONE handful of frees in 4 games while paying our opponents 48 frees in those 4 games.

That is borderline corrupt.

Changing of rules after Richmond winning the flag now umpires.

Cmon AFL,stop playing your grand final with Richmond.

Surely this has been a directive from the AFL?

The umpiring this season has been beyond bad. Simply terrible.

I usually don't blame the umpires themselves for the appalling adjudication of the game, but instead blame the rule makers and political power brokers at ghe AFL.

But this season they've been legitimately shithouse.

But I've noticed over the past month, the broadcasters don't replay the shitly incorrect decisions that are made at almost every contest.

Curious.

I'm afraid I cannot complain about any of the AFL season 2020 because it's just extraordinary circumstances that we have the football at all.
I'll even spare the weakest incompetent component of the game ,the umpires alone.

I'm afraid I cannot complain about any of the AFL season 2020 because it's just extraordinary circumstances that we have the football at all.
I'll even spare the weakest incompetent component of the game ,the umpires alone.
No way. They are ******* useless full stop. They need to be held accountable. We crucify players and coaches for getting it wrong - these guys are a key part of the AFL "product", yet their incompetence is affecting the standard of play too often.

Eleni and #8 last night were deplorable and too inconsistent. No parity, clarity or consistency.

I don't mind wishy, washy tiggy touchwood BS umpiring if it's consistent. It wasn't

It was one rule for GC and one for BL

Props to her for being able to bounce the ball - #8 needs to go home to his mum and practice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The umpiring decisions this year have been inconsistent. Some of this is because umpires have made bad decisions and the afl should admit these errors. The other issues are:
1. Many of our rules require umpires to interpret the circumstances around around a contest and even read the players minds (intent) under pressure with no time to think.
2. The afl rule managers are regularly changing the interpretation of the rules.
Solution
1. Remove as much of the interpretation as possible - i.e. if a player does not dispose of the ball by handball or kick issue a free. Don't accept the ball falling out in the contest. No hand in the back in marking contest. Etc.
2. Don't change rule interpretation during the season.

Shocking umpiring between Collingwood and Gold Coast lastnight, amazing lop sided decisions yet again.

Gold Coast could never have won, Collingwood cant lose.

The most concerning aspect of this once great game is the disparity of free kicks between certain teams and why its happening.

Pies 18 to 8 free kicks against GC, smells to me.

Pies 18 to 8 free kicks against GC, smells to me.

Not to mention the two soft 50 metre penalties that Collingwood got that resulted in goals.

With lopsided umpiring like that it's like one team trying to win by running uphill while the other teams runs downhill.

Umpiring should be fair and balanced but too often it seams like the umpires have an agenda to favour one team over the other which spoils the contest.

The inconsistency is the worst part. Not paying the same infringements to both teams just make it look corrupt and part of making sure certain teams make the finals.

View attachment 959510
trip.....no ....play on
Yet the media put a space shuttle fuel booster tank of mayo on the few decisions we got.

Richmond now has moved to second bottom on the frees table.

Swallowed whistles a plenty,Geelong game,no mention of it by the media,swallowed their tongues.

Last edited:
Port won well last night.

Umpiring again poor with frees 15 to 9 in favour of Collingwood.

Why is this disparity happening ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back