Umpiring The State of Umpiring in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

To quote myself from the OP... "We have a serious issue with umpiring. In my opinion the standards are at an all time low and they are having too much influence, on too many games, too often."

Geelong should have the points stripped from them, tonight's umpiring was legitimately that bad and one sided.

I would be melting down if I was a Brisbane supporter. I'm almost lost for words.

Last edited:
To quote myself from the OP... "We have a serious issue with umpiring. In my opinion the standards are at an all time low and they are having too much influence, on too many games, too often."

Geelong should have the points stripped from them, tonight's umpiring what legitimately that bad and one sided.

I would be melting down if I was a Brisbane supporter. I'm almost lost for words.
What's the actual rule though?

Isn't something s**t like there is no such thing as incorrect disposal if you had no prior or something?

Isn't something sh*t like there is no such thing as incorrect disposal if you had no prior or something?
no still must dispose of it correctly

Geelong should have the points stripped from them, tonight's umpiring what legitimately that bad and one sided.

Geelong received an armchair ride all throughout that last quarter, and that was before the non decision for incorrect disposal.

OLDING THE BALL
17.6.1 Spirit and Intention
The Player who has Possession of the Football will be provided an opportunity
to dispose of the football before rewarding an opponent for a Legal Tackle.
17.6.2 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: Prior Opportunity
(a) Where a Player in Possession of the Football has had Prior Opportunity,
a Free Kick shall be awarded if that Player does not Correctly Dispose of
the football immediately when they are Legally Tackled.
(b) Where a Player in Possession of the Football has not had Prior Opportunity,
the field Umpire shall throw up the football when a Player, in the act of
applying a Legal Tackle, holds the football to the body of the Player
being tackled or the football is otherwise pinned to the ground.

So I guess the question is whether he had prior or not.

HOLDING THE BALL
17.6.1 Spirit and Intention
The Player who has Possession of the Football will be provided an opportunity
to dispose of the football before rewarding an opponent for a Legal Tackle.
17.6.2 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: Prior Opportunity
(a) Where a Player in Possession of the Football has had Prior Opportunity,
a Free Kick shall be awarded if that Player does not Correctly Dispose of
the football immediately when they are Legally Tackled.
(b) Where a Player in Possession of the Football has not had Prior Opportunity,
the field Umpire shall throw up the football when a Player, in the act of
applying a Legal Tackle, holds the football to the body of the Player
being tackled or the football is otherwise pinned to the ground.

So I guess the question is whether he had prior or not.
Actually, it's even more stupid...

17.6.3 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: Incorrect Disposal
Where a Player in Possession of the Football has not had Prior Opportunity,
a Free Kick shall be awarded if that Player elects to Incorrectly Dispose of
the football when Legally Tackled.
For the avoidance of doubt, a Player does not elect to Incorrectly Dispose
of the football when:
(a) the Player genuinely attempts to Correctly Dispose of the football;
(b) the Legal Tackle causes the football to be dislodged from the
Player’s possession.

Isn't something sh*t like there is no such thing as incorrect disposal if you had no prior or something?

I am not talking about one decision. As I've said multiple times, I can accept human error because bad decisions will invariably happen. Umpires are humans.

But when rules are not applied consistently to both sides and you add all the other s**t that goes on with the umpires, that's where I want something done. A free kick in the first quarter should be a free kick in the last quarter and it should be the same for both sides. Tonight's game was genuinely disgusting.

This competition is a joke. No other sport would put up with unprofessional umpiring like this. Genuinely the worst decision I’ve ever seen and I watched this live in the rain:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So would I, their first half was very ordinary, in fact it cost them the game!

This is where the rules need to be simplified. If you dispose of the ball it has to be a legal disposal by hand or foot. None of this “made an attempt” BS. I’ll accept some sort of knocked out in the tackle interpretation but it has to be a pretty narrow interpretation.

Sees Bailey coming, spins to try to evade the tackle, gets caught red hot and illegally disposes of the ball.

Plain as day.

Can anyone imagine a free NOT being paid at any other stage of the game.

The umpire chocked

No he didn't, he made the decision Steve Hocking wanted, he'd be locked in for the grand final atm.

but Brisbane were shithouse for the first 3QTRs...

I hate this argument, yeah they could have played better early or geelong had a bad decision go against them in the first quarter blah blah blah.

The thing is, when the umpires * up in the first quarter or even 5 minutes into the last, both teams have time to play around that, when it happens in the last minute or two...especially where a s**t decision costs a team a goal, they dont have time to overcome it.

Tonight, 95 times out of 100, Bris kick the goal from that free kick and win the game.

That one umpiring decision changed the result of tonights game and its not good enough - it was a TERRIBLE decision.

If there was a review system, that decision gets overturned every day of the week.

100% a free against Blicavs, had prior and threw it.

We are however all assuming that the umpire saw it. I reckon right at the critical moment, Isaac Smith ran through with his opponent and blocked his line of sight.

If that was the case then the correct call was made, umpires aren't employed to guess or make assumptions.

I hate this argument, yeah they could have played better early or geelong had a bad decision go against them in the first quarter blah blah blah.

The thing is, when the umpires fu** up in the first quarter or even 5 minutes into the last, both teams have time to play around that, when it happens in the last minute or two...especially where a sh*t decision costs a team a goal, they dont have time to overcome it.

Tonight, 95 times out of 100, Bris kick the goal from that free kick and win the game.

That one umpiring decision changed the result of tonights game and its not good enough - it was a TERRIBLE decision.

If there was a review system, that decision gets overturned every day of the week.
And Geelong have never copped a bad decision ever? Yes, it was a crook decision, but cost the game? Nope. It might not have been a bad idea for Brisbane to have played better in the first half and Lachie Neale to get a kick!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back