Umpiring The State of Umpiring in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Matilda05

All Australian
Jul 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Legitimate question here. What was the 50m penalty against D. Zorko (on J. Selwood) for? I believe the initial free was for high contact in the tackle, but why the 50? Does anyone have vision or recall the time it occurred?

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Legitimate question here. What was the 50m penalty against D. Zorko (on J. Selwood) for? I believe the initial free was for high contact in the tackle, but why the 50? Does anyone have vision or recall the time it occurred?

After the free was paid Zorko appeared to forcefully shove Selwood's head down as he was climbing up from off him. On the replay there was * all in it, soft 50, Zorko stupid, it looked worse than it was.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
After the free was paid Zorko appeared to forcefully shove Selwood's head down as he was climbing up from off him. On the replay there was fu** all in it, soft 50, Zorko stupid, it looked worse than it was.
That's one I'm fine with. Sure ridiculously soft but why even do it and put yourself in the position of losing 50m for the team?

What i'm most shitty about is the fact that everyone will now focus on the Blicavs incident , thus ignoring the *en REST of last nights performance ( Which was the worst umpired game i've seen in at least a decade )

Most infuriating of all is the fact that pretty much every single off-season for years, there's always at least 1 tweak in " interpretations "

HTB has been tweaked more times than i can remember.

Middle *en mangement doing what middle management always does , *s with s**t just to jusify it's existence

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
What i'm most shitty about is the fact that everyone will now focus on the Blicavs incident , thus ignoring the fu**en REST of last nights performance ( Which was the worst umpired game i've seen in at least a decade )

Most infuriating of all is the fact that pretty much every single off-season for years, there's always at least 1 tweak in " interpretations "

Agreed. From my own (potentially biased, although I try to be reasonable) POV, I believe round 14 last year Carlton-West Coast was one of the main catalysts for me starting this thread. I was literally raging, but think Geelong-Brisbane was worse/more obvious.

That Selwood throw being missed was scandalous.

Which one? His own tryout to be sent to the Melbourne Storm or the one where Guthrie was caught blatant as day holding the ball before receiving the hand-off?

As NSWCrow said, it's a shame that the Blicavs one will dominate the conversation because it was a very unbalanced and poor officiating performance. Half a dozen genuine stinkers, 2 - 4 very iffy and countless decisions that whilst may be line ball/50-50, were not applied equally to both teams throughout the match.

Brisbane were robbed blind.

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The Standard of umpiring for the nations biggest competition is absolutely disgusting.

Would've accepted this in the 90's, even early 00's, but the game is now a fully fledged billion dollar business. I know every sport has its contentious issues, but its the sheer number of bad/ inconsistent calls that gets me.

The only savour i can give the umpires is the ridiculous number of rules and 'interpretations'. Think it would really suit slimming the number of rules and providing clearly interpretations.

Agreed. From my own (potentially biased, although I try to be reasonable) POV, I believe round 14 last year Carlton-West Coast was one of the main catalysts for me starting this thread. I was literally raging, but think Geelong-Brisbane was worse/more obvious.

Which one? His own tryout to be sent to the Melbourne Storm or the one where Guthrie was caught blatant as day holding the ball before receiving the hand-off?

As NSWCrow said, it's a shame that the Blicavs one will dominate the conversation because it was a very unbalanced and poor officiating performance. Half a dozen genuine stinkers, 2 - 4 very iffy and countless decisions that whilst may be line ball/50-50, were not applied equally to both teams throughout the match.

Brisbane were robbed blind.

Seemed like the umps have received the old " Let the game go " directive from upstairs and are now stuck in no-mans land.

Also with the niggle, in the past 9 times out of 10 an ump would pick a free out JUST to make a statement that THEY were the one's in charge.
I can't recall it happening the other night

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Another week and another non-decision potentially influencing the result of a game.

Can some please explain why a Free wasn't paid against Tom Hickey in the final minute of the match?

I understand the rule has changed in that a ruckman can grab the ball from the ruck contest and will not have a free paid against him if he is tackled immediately (as the option to tap the ball was his 'prior opportunity'), but he had 3 or 4 seconds to dispose of it before he was tackled?

Oh my.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
Another week and another non-decision potentially influencing the result of a game.

Can some please explain why a Free wasn't paid against Tom Hickey in the final minute of the match?

I understand the rule has changed in that a ruckman can grab the ball from the ruck contest and will not have a free paid against him if he is tackled immediately (as the option to tap the ball was his 'prior opportunity'), but he had 3 or 4 seconds to dispose of it before he was tackled?

Oh my.
Match fixing, is rife in today’s AFL

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
And that was just one. That was one of the most one sided examples of umpiring I have witnessed in a long while.
Bombers supporters have good reason to be pi55ed.
The non decisions for clear penalties one way and ticky touch free's the other was a joke.
Buddy can pick an opponent up and move them aside to take a mark that is paid. Not holding the man? has the brute strength to do it.
Then later he falls like a pack of cards from no pressure and gets a free kick. Surprised he didn't get more frees with all the unwarranted falling flaying around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Match fixing, is rife in today’s AFL
Now look I’m not suggesting you are right... But I’ve read that umpire 32’s free kick count was 16-1.

16. To. 1.

gingernuts

binlicker
Apr 25, 2018
the southern end of the minyip swamp
AFL Club
Geelong
I have said this many times. The umpires think we go to watch them. They need to be in the background and apply the rules.They do not need to be the focus of attention. Take the MIC's off them, they are not Rockstar's who can command an audience. Unfortunately for the umps thats the way it is.Do your job and forget the glitz that you think it brings.
Someone said a couple of years ago 3-4 years ago prob that if you watch Chamberalin he goes and stands next to goal kicker after a goal is kicked just to get his mug on telly.

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Now look I’m not suggesting you are right... But I’ve read that umpire 32’s free kick count was 16-1.

16. To. 1.
If this is actually true the first OMF-NG and secondly depending on what part of the ground he was officiating he could have a massive impact.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,

16. To. 1.
I hate Essendon but you guys were stiffed big time, the AFL needs a strong club in NSW they failed with the giants , and have gone back to the old favourites Sydney, it’s all about ratings and gambling money, where was vlad ? crown, gambling , and Gilligan is involved with a betting company board. Would not be allowed in any other country a head of a sporting organisation on the board of a betting company, read into that what you will

Back