Umpiring The State of Umpiring in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

ciaobella

Club Legend
Jul 7, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
The Umpires missed so much tonight for both sides. Seemed like they were scared to pay frees. Are they? Have they been given a directive by the AFL that unless it's a blatant free let it go?

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Bizarre umpiring last night. Just baffling.

They clearly had a premeditated plan to derail Geelong's possession game by calling 'Not 15' constantly. Even when the kick was at least 20m, they still called it.

Terrible.

And they also had a strategy or directive to allow throws and not pay HTB all night!

It was just weird to watch. Like watching a different sport.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Bizarre umpiring last night. Just baffling.

They clearly had a premeditated plan to derail Geelong's possession game by calling 'Not 15' constantly. Even when the kick was at least 20m, they still called it.

Terrible.

And they also had a strategy or directive to allow throws and not pay HTB all night!

It was just weird to watch. Like watching a different sport.
I'm new to the game: Can you explain the HTB rule to me.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I dont think the AFL, rules committee, executives, coaches, or players could accurately do this. It changes weekly, sometimes multiple times a week

Bit like deliberate, throws, 15m for marks and 50m pens for protected zones/standing the mark. No one has a clue whats happening, just let the chaos ensue

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
There was a passage of play last night in the 2nd quarter, Geelong in deep trouble, pretty much on their defensive goal line, Atkins on his knees, clearly throws the ball, not even disguised.

Over the next 45sec to a minute, Selwood also blatantly throws the ball and 4 Geelong players drop the ball cold when tackled.

I reckon the umpires were positioned poorly on all 6 occasions.

Maybe that's a new directive, get in poor positions so you miss the frees and the game can flow.

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast

In a nutshell, if you try to break a tackle or evade, you've had 'prior opportunity'.

If you've had 'prior', and you don't dispose of the ball legally, you should be penalised.

This wasn't happening last night. Repeatedly.

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The Umpires missed so much tonight for both sides. Seemed like they were scared to pay frees. Are they? Have they been given a directive by the AFL that unless it's a blatant free let it go?
As a neutral, I generally prefer watching games with limited umpire interference.

And I do tend to agree with the policy of 'unless it's a blatant free let it go'. But...

A 'blatant free' shouldn't be interpreted as how severe the infringement was - it needs to be based on the impact to the game.

A 'little' throw that results in a goal - is far worse than a blatant throw that doesn't effect the play much at all.

And that's the issue with umpires deciding to 'let it go'. They aren't good enough to make those judgement calls.

The poor officiating of the HTB is a real pet hate of mine for that reason.

I feel for the umpires, it seems to me to be an increasingly difficult and complicated game to officiate.

Having said that, there's no excuse for blatant errors which have nothing to do with that difficulty - like last night, when a holding the ball decision was paid when the tackle ended up around the player's ankles.

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I feel for the umpires, it seems to me to be an increasingly difficult and complicated game to officiate.

Having said that, there's no excuse for blatant errors which have nothing to do with that difficulty - like last night, when a holding the ball decision was paid when the tackle ended up around the player's ankles.
It depends which came first though.

Doesn't matter where the tackle ends up if the HTB or incorrect disposal has already happened.

It depends which came first though.

Doesn't matter where the tackle ends up if the HTB or incorrect disposal has already happened.
Fully aware of that.

My recollection is that the tackle came first, hence my post.

Happy to stand corrected though.

My broader point remains too, blatant errors from top level umpires are frustrating.

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I had to laugh at Ratts whinging about umpiring. Bro your team kicked 5.17.

I think it's attitudes like yours that cause umpiring to be as bad as it is.

Awful umpiring is an entirely different discussion to how a team played and whether they won or not.

There is a real childish culture around people who comment legitimately about officiating being 'sore losers'.

It's a shame, as it detracts from genuine discussion.

FWIW, Ratten's comments about 'it's not worth it to tackle' are completely valid. Sending two or three guys at the ball carrier to tackle is a terrible strategy if they're allowed to throw it out to their outside players.

The problem is that you spend all season practising it because it's a fundamental of footy - only to find out the hard way on a random given night that the umpires aren't going to pay it and your whole strategy is screwed.

Same can be said for Geelong and their short kicking possession game. It's a completely legitimate tactic - but last night the umpires basically rendered it useless by not paying 20m kicks.

How do you develop a strategy if the rules change randomly without notice?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
There was a passage of play last night in the 2nd quarter, Geelong in deep trouble, pretty much on their defensive goal line, Atkins on his knees, clearly throws the ball, not even disguised.

Over the next 45sec to a minute, Selwood also blatantly throws the ball and 4 Geelong players drop the ball cold when tackled.

I reckon the umpires were positioned poorly on all 6 occasions.

Maybe that's a new directive, get in poor positions so you miss the frees and the game can flow.
Hope someone has the balls to show that vision on the footy shows during the week...

tigerwill

Premiership Player
Mar 19, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
I think it's attitudes like yours that cause umpiring to be as bad as it is.

Awful umpiring is an entirely different discussion to how a team played and whether they won or not.

There is a real childish culture around people who comment legitimately about officiating being 'sore losers'.

It's a shame, as it detracts from genuine discussion.

FWIW, Ratten's comments about 'it's not worth it to tackle' are completely valid. Sending two or three guys at the ball carrier to tackle is a terrible strategy if they're allowed to throw it out to their outside players.

The problem is that you spend all season practising it because it's a fundamental of footy - only to find out the hard way on a random given night that the umpires aren't going to pay it and your whole strategy is screwed.

Same can be said for Geelong and their short kicking possession game. It's a completely legitimate tactic - but last night the umpires basically rendered it useless by not paying 20m kicks.

How do you develop a strategy if the rules change randomly without notice?

Excellent post.
The umpires are being directed by SHocking to overlook the Rules.
They've stuffed up with the 666. It didn’t increase scoring or reduce congestion.
The stand on the mark rule means a team is playing one man down. Absolute farce
The “play on “ at all costs. Means teams can throw, funnel and just drop the ball in a tackle. Just to reduce contests and congestion. Pooh!
The basic Rules don’t change (so much)but directives from SHocking on how to umpire has created frustration for all.
Time for Hocking to get the top job at Geelong. He’s been a disaster for the game
No wonder Hayden Kennedy resigned.

2Knights

Team Captain
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
There are no other teams
Excellent post.
They've stuffed up with the 666. It didn’t increase scoring or reduce congestion.
The “play on “ at all costs. Means teams can throw, funnel and just drop the ball in a tackle. Just to reduce contests and congestion. Pooh!
The basic Rules don’t change (so much)but directives from SHocking on how to umpire has created frustration for all.
Time for Hocking to get the top job at Geelong. He’s been a disaster for the game
Poor umpiring began way before Steve Hocking came along. And Hayden Kennedy hasn't helped anything. You have to go back to the 90s to see competent umpiring.

2Knights

Team Captain
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
There are no other teams

Terrible.
This is how it should be. If kick length is in doubt, call play on.

blaisee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None
Ensure you have an ex player and administrator be employed in a newly created position as the AFL General Football Oprations manager

The free kick count last night was a joke, and only the cats way, coincidence?
I counted 5 clear holding the ball decisions not called, this affected the result
Why do we the football public have to endure such a continuous and ongoing clear bias

The “play on “ at all costs. Means teams can throw, funnel and just drop the ball in a tackle. Just to reduce contests and congestion

So the consensus is that the (rules) system is broken, not some random conspiracy theory that particular teams are being singled out for preferential treatment?

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If a player takes possession of the ball and can get rid of it, but doesn't or drops the ball, its HTB. How hard can it be?

Players have adapted to being called HTB by dropping the ball and the umpiring department have dropped the ball.

If you take the ball and CHOOSE not to get rid of it legally then you should be done. Why can't they look at it that way. There needs to be a genuine effort to legally dispose of the footy, not just drop it.

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Excellent post.

The issue isn't necessarily new rules, or even existing rules - it's the blatantly inconsistent application of them randomly across different games.

At least with new rules, everyone knows what they are.

But when rules are changed unexpectedly for unknown reasons for random games, it's completely unacceptable for a professional sport. I can live with errors, but last night wasn't errors, it was a clear change to the interpretations.

For fans it's baffling, frustrating and confusing. But for players and coaches it must be infuriating.

Back