Umpiring The State of Umpiring in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I learn a bit more each week about umpiring and the rules.

This week I learned that this IS NOT a push in the back.

View attachment 1134739

A still image means nothing, push in the back needs to be two motions, something AFL umpires stuff up often hence the hands in the back rule that came in to cover for A- Umpire incompetence and B- James Clement mastering the push and mark.

Worst decision of all time.
By my count it is the 6th game this season that has been decided by umpiring incompetence in the final minute of a match where the result is less than a kick.

Add to that the non-call for holding the ball against Keays that resulted in the goal that put Adelaide in front 30 seconds earlier.

By my count it is the 6th game this season that has been decided by umpiring incompetence in the final minute of a match where the result is less than a kick.

Add to that the non-call for holding the ball against Keays that resulted in the goal that put Adelaide in front 30 seconds earlier.

Good outcome though

I'm at a loss to describe the "Quality" of umpiring this season.

Two calls in the game today. Boak Illegal disposal, Collingwood player no illegal disposal. Both were similar
Umpire calls SPP not to start off the line, allows Collingwood player to start off the line.

Why is it so bad.

Seriously the AFL need full time umpires, with a system that is consistent

They also need to focus on umpiring the game and not making stupid comments to the players.

Keays got a fist to the ball and the Melbourne player deflected the Murrey handpass. Screenshot_20210523-182420_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210523-182400_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210523-182339_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210522-212643_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Everyone is sooking about HTB but I don’t mind them giving the players going and getting the ball a bit of leeway

Protect the player going to get the ball has been a founding principal of this game , penalise them only if they try to do too much

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Everyone is sooking about HTB but I don’t mind them giving the players going and getting the ball a bit of leeway

I'm a fan of Keays but he tried to outrun his opponent and was caught red hot. He had prior and should've been pinged for not getting rid of the ball immediately.

The AFL is apparently going to concede the deliberate non-call from the same game was a mistake.

The rules are a shambles and the responsible manager should be out of a job tomorrow morning. The game has become nigh on impossible for both veterans and newcomers to decipher. The throwing is offensive and caused me to turn off the Giants/West Coast game after ten minutes.

I'm a fan of Keays but he tried to outrun his opponent and was caught red hot. He had prior and should've been pinged for not getting rid of the ball immediately.

The AFL is apparently going to concede the deliberate non-call from the same game was a mistake.

The rules are a shambles and the responsible manager should be out of a job tomorrow morning. The game has become nigh on impossible for both veterans and newcomers to decipher. The throwing is offensive and caused me to turn off the Giants/West Coast game after ten minutes.

Yeah I dunno I haven’t had a good look at Keays but lots of people were upset about how long Fyfe had the ball the other night before he got it out but he goes and gets the ball and gets gang tackled by 3 blokes and he’s meant to get HTB because it’s hard to get the ball out with 3 blokes hanging off you ?

It’s a hard rule to adjudicate and it always has been but benefit of the doubt should go to the blokes who’s getting the ball , that’s the pure essence of Aussie rules not gang tackling

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

If those stills were meant to prove your point, you've failed miserably.

Gets his fist free, hits the ball, ball comes out... that a legal disposal..

Only problem I see with my stills is I put them in backwards so it goes 3rd,2nd,1st pic of the sequence.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I dunno I haven’t had a good look at Keays but lots of people were upset about how long Fyfe had the ball the other night before he got it out but he goes and gets the ball and gets gang tackled by 3 blokes and he’s meant to get HTB because it’s hard to get the ball out with 3 blokes hanging off you ?

The directive is clearly to keep the ball moving and as a result, they're permitting a lot of illegal disposal as well as giving players too long to dispose. On the other hand, some players are tackled almost immediately and if the ball is knocked clear, they're penalised. There were two examples of this on Friday night, one to each team.

I'd say that people 20, 30 and 40 years ago had a much clearer idea of what constituted "holding the ball". Now it's a almost a raffle.

Last edited:
No wonder many have left footy. The debacle at the MRP coming up tonight over some of the soft reports is mindboggling.
AFL commission's new push for a more wholesome game.

Football is broken.

As life long Carlton man it was so great to see Port win the rights to the striped jumper. However, here is Collingwood actually winning a game... sadly, with De Goey best on the ground. ENJOY1

More garbage umpiring tonight.

I am getting sick of hearing about how hard a game it is to umpire.
It's not just the ****ed up rules that the AFL come up with. Interpretations change week to week, day to day, quarter to quarter.

It's absolute horseshit and it stems from poor leadership from the AFL.
How the game is umpired is their responsibility and the output of their employees, in this case the umpires, is on them and them alone.
Noone can fix it but them.

More garbage umpiring tonight.

I am getting sick of hearing about how hard a game it is to umpire.
It's not just the f’ed up rules that the AFL come up with. Interpretations change week to week, day to day, quarter to quarter.

It's absolute horseshit and it stems from poor leadership from the AFL.
How the game is umpired is their responsibility and the output of their employees, in this case the umpires, is on them and them alone.
Noone can fix it but them.
What didn't you like about tonight?

Melbourne got a couple of gifts from the umpires but the replays showed the Brisbane players had been absolutely stupid with off ball stuff. Big O a little stiff but his team mate was elbowing Gawn to draw the umps attention. Zorko just plain stupid.

I thought Brisbane got a couple of borderline decisions in their forward line too but nothing too silly. Hipwood got a free kick for holding when Lever was the one being held away from the ball which is always not ideal.

The Lions were first to the ball in the first half and got the rub of the green. Melbourne were clearly first to the ball after half time so it swung back.

They pinged Brisbane for early tackles a couple of times that was really nice to see. Melbourne got caught with a couple too. Being hot on holding in centre bounces and other stoppages is good for the game.

Holding the ball was hot but not stupid. There wasn't any deliberates/dangerous tackles/slide rule kind of shenanigans. I'd give the umps a big tick.

Wasn't fussed so much with either team benefiting, I was happy Melbourne won if you're wondering.
More that there were way too many kicks given, lots of dinky stuff, and in the back was a joke.

What got me was more around another game, another different set of interpretations.
It's a bit like the flavour of the month bullshit that goes around - all of a sudden they'll start to clamp down on another different rule and let something else slide.
Nek minnut we'll go back to holding the ball being paid as soon as a player is touched.

The umpiring in Melbourne-Brisbane was pretty good by modern standards. HTB was adjudged accurately and happy to see free kicks given for holding the man, push in the back and incorrect disposal where appropriate. Too often these rules are overlooked.

Wasn't fussed so much with either team benefiting, I was happy Melbourne won if you're wondering.
More that there were way too many kicks given, lots of dinky stuff, and in the back was a joke.

What got me was more around another game, another different set of interpretations.
It's a bit like the flavour of the month bullshit that goes around - all of a sudden they'll start to clamp down on another different rule and let something else slide.
Nek minnut we'll go back to holding the ball being paid as soon as a player is touched.

Thought it was pretty well umpired last night, few times I thought they were quick to blow the whistle for a few soft frees.
Holding, high tackle and marking interference seem to be the ones that polarise many supporters.
Holding the ball was paid aggressively which I liked but then they prob missed 1/2 late which is a frustration for many.

Another game tonight where lopsided or inconsistent umpiring affected the game. Probably didn't affect the result since Sydney was pretty terrible themselves. And I will fully admit we've had the better of games at other times this year (cough cough Essendon). But regardless of who benefits, it's a constant talking point because the standard keeps slipping. The game is fast approaching crisis point.

Another game tonight where lopsided or inconsistent umpiring affected the game. Probably didn't affect the result since Sydney was pretty terrible themselves. And I will fully admit we've had the better of games at other times this year (cough cough Essendon). But regardless of who benefits, it's a constant talking point because the standard keeps slipping. The game is fast approaching crisis point.
Razor's non deliberate because Papley was being a sook was wonderful to see. As was the free kick for abuse after Ray got the decision right on the Day handball. Otherwise it was another night of very lenient holding the ball calls but pretty decent with every other decision. Swans copped a bit of bad luck but were second to the ball all game, so that will happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back