Umpiring The State of Umpiring in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the biggest issues is that there are rules that aren't officiated. Until they specifically ping one person or team for it. Or it's flavour of the month. Maybe in a perfect world, keep those rules, but where it is ad hoc it makes any time it is applied unfair - and so they should just be dropped completely - or forced to always officiate that rule in 1 agreed interpretation (as in, if a rule needs an interpretation, that it is written down and stays in place for the season).

Then there is the issue of, the ump can only adjudicate on what they see - or think they can see. A few years ago, when all the players ate as many pies as they wanted, drank a few beers, they didn't run much in the game (by comparison), the forwards mostly stayed forwardish kind of thing. Drop the ball into an empty space and it is swamped by elite runners even in q4 when they are all shagged. The rules need to reflect this, some things are too hard to spot consistently even with multiple umps - pretty easy from the selection of one of several tv cameras or in the right part of the crowd, but not always obvious from where the umps are. The penalty of such a hard running, athletic modern game might be that some of the holiest, iconic rules might just need to go or change.

Whistle. The umps run nearly as much as the players. They have to lift the whistle and blow it, often while running hard and maybe out of breath. They probably need a hand activated artificial whistle or something else with a standard volume. Too often players don't hear the whistle. Too often, it comes late and everyone is wtf? for something that happened 5-10 meters ago and maybe a pass or two etc. If they find a solution for that, then they can possibly differentiate while they are at it, if it's a mark or penalty so players are clear about potential advantage - or change the advantage rule so there is clarity in the heat of the moment.

And here I am arguing for some tinkering, when the biggest goddamn issue is that they keep tinkering with the rules, that having a rules committee means that they actively keep looking for stuff to change for the sake of it.

** Breaking News **

Michael Christian has referred Ray Chamberlain straight to the Tribunal.

Mr Christian said, " I have considered the behaviour of Umpire Chamberlain to have been deliberate, provocative and it made me so laugh so much I split a hernia and so impact was high."

Mr Christian added, "I initially considered an 8 week ban but after discussions with Mr Hocking, I decided to refer Mr Chamberlain straight to the Tribunal".

In the most surprising news, Mr Chamberlain was not available for comment.

'It's a marking contest and you prevented him from marking the ball'.

Crows v. Saints

Did they bring in a rule whereby you're no longer able to defend?
You cant chop the arms in a marking contest even if its against a player juggling the mark and going for his second grab at it..

what the saints player did was probably even more than a chop of the arm.. he pulled down on Thilthorpe’s right arm as thilthorpe was trying to grab the ball..

the free was there.

the problem is this happens all game in dozens of marking contests and goes unpaid.

the problem is the inconsistency... no one has a clue on which way any decision could go.

'It's a marking contest and you prevented him from marking the ball'.

Crows v. Saints

Did they bring in a rule whereby you're no longer able to defend?
I don't think the umpire did a very good job of articulating his reasoning for the free, but I thought it was absolutely the right call.
In between the first and second grabs, the defender pulls at his arm. After the second grab, he comes in over the shoulder.

The umpiring in Melbourne-Brisbane was pretty good by modern standards. HTB was adjudged accurately and happy to see free kicks given for holding the man, push in the back and incorrect disposal where appropriate. Too often these rules are overlooked.

I thought they'd actually figured it out. By far the best umpired game of the year - but they seemed to have regressed back to some other interpretation this weekend.

Have said it before, will say it again. The fact the public thought it was entertaining seeing the swans get screwed in the 2016 GF because it suited their preference for a fairytale was the green light for a complete lack of accountability for umpires. Again, on the weekend we saw the clear and deliberate punishment of a team by an umpire following Papley's verbal towards him. Not only has it barely raised a mention, it's actually being laughed about. Until all supporters put aside their personal biases and actually call out the horse s**t that is umpiring at the moment nothing can change.

You cant chop the arms in a marking contest even if its against a player juggling the mark and going for his second grab at it..

what the saints player did was probably even more than a chop of the arm.. he pulled down on Thilthorpe’s right arm as thilthorpe was trying to grab the ball..

the free was there.

the problem is this happens all game in dozens of marking contests and goes unpaid.

the problem is the inconsistency... no one has a clue on which way any decision could go.
It’s always paid in marking contests just a question of whether the umpire sees it or not. This one was a clear free.

If that’s considered a free for Thilthorpe then Charlie Dixon would get 10 frees a match when double/triple teamed and the opponent briefly grabs an arm in the contest.

Consistency is all we all ask. If that’s a free, they all should be and don’t just pick one or two occasions here and there to pay.

The problem is the 'rule of the week' which they deny is a thing.
Last week's rule was don't pay holding the ball much.
It's the hardest game in the world to umpire.Umpires get mentally and physically fatigued and don't get paid enough for what they are expected to do.
No ex-player has been a successful umpire because it's hard.
These guys are elite and are unfairly maligned.
I wouldn't blame them for going on strike tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s been a lot of low points in AFL umpiring in the past 15 years. The Jeff Gieschen years were pretty damn bad for umpiring standards, and even the late 90s that clown Scott McLaren was notorious for his negative impact on games. Despite all that, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a lower standard of umpiring than now. Allowing throwing of the ball and not paying holding the ball are huge problems for the integrity of the game. It is hugely frustrating that it continues to be unaddressed properly.

There’s been a lot of low points in AFL umpiring in the past 15 years. The Jeff Gieschen years were pretty damn bad for umpiring standards, and even the late 90s that clown Scott McLaren was notorious for his negative impact on games. Despite all that, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a lower standard of umpiring than now. Allowing throwing of the ball and not paying holding the ball are huge problems for the integrity of the game. It is hugely frustrating that it continues to be unaddressed properly.
Players have worked out they can get away with throws if they do so towards the boundary line, given the umpires always position themselves centrally.

The only way to address this is to allow boundary umpires to call free kicks and not simply call out of bounds. Wouldn't be a bad idea.

Sack the lot of the biased campaigners and bring in some Junior umpires.
They will do a better job.
One of the useless *******s has 450 games under belt and does not even knwo what a pushin the abck is.
Dog fueking a-hole.

Might as well give up on worrying about the umpires. They make it up as they go. I saw Sloane run off with the ball tonight after a centre clearance, he slipped about five metres into his run, he still had possession and was then tackled. No free - a ball up.

Might as well give up on worrying about the umpires. They make it up as they go. I saw Sloane run off with the ball tonight after a centre clearance, he slipped about five metres into his run, he still had possession and was then tackled. No free - a ball up.

And then you get players with zero time tackled by 2 opponents get pinged HTB.

They cant even blame crowd influence. Its literally a lottery.

If you look back at 60's footage, the umps paid holding the ball as soon as the jumper was grabbed, now you've got time to have a cup of tea and a chat.
I doubt this is true. I think if I look back at some black and white tv era grand finals, what seems to be the case is there was a much stricter and clear ruling on tackling below the knees or above the shoulders were deemed illegal tackles and pinged really quick. Let's just say sloppy tackles were not encouraged so if you did anything but a clear legal tackle you seemed to get pinged by umpire. Also, if there was a tackle that was legal but the contest for the ball was more than just two or three players and no clear winner, the umpires seem to blow whistle quickly to not have large scrimmages be the norm. They would quickly ball it up and play would flow on which seemed to be their mandate, to keep the game flowing. But I'm also sure if day was muddy or in wet conditions they know the ball is slippery so give a few extra seconds for someone to win the contest before blowing the whistle and saying "mine".

This is massive contrast to now where they seem to allow a congested contest and heaps of players to contest the ball before they either pick any free kick out or decide to finally ball it up. I hate the way it is as this just encourages gang tackling and also sloppy tackles are allowed to just go on. Somebody can tackle someone from over the shoulders and a whistle not blown straight away.
If I look at youtube videos of some games from early 70's it does seem the exact opposite. They were quick to decide one way or the other rather than just allow large numbers of players to just fight for ball on the ground.

As an ex-umpire and someone who teaches 10 umpires aged between 12 and 15 who do games from Under 7s to Under 11s it's frustrating.

Umpire management needs a huge overhaul and they need to go back to some basics.

STAND rule STAYS. I like it but you need to be allowed to wave your arms.

REWARD THE TACKLER. No 360 not give them 3-5 seconds to get rid of it.

PENALISE TAKING POSSESSION FROM THE RUCK. Whomever brought that rule in giving ruckmen a free crack without penalty is a goose.

OPTION for either a 25m or 50m penalty. 25m for less serious frees like abuse or a STAND infringement.

EXTENDING GOAL SQUARE LENGTH TO 15m but keeping the defender after a behind at the 25m mark. While a little cosmetic will give forwards more area to mark "in the square" and take their shots right in front.

BOUNDARY THROW INS TO BE A SET DISTANCE. This one gives me the irrits. Some throw it long. Some throw it short. How about we try to aim for 20m each throw and get it consistently across the board so it's easier for teams and players. Nothing **** a ruckman more than trying to keep a track of which umpire number is throwing the ball in and whether they're a long or shallow "tosser inner". Very poor this year.

SENSORS and CAMERAS mounted in the sides of the goalposts and pointposts and on top of the goalposts (as part of the posts themselves) as the REVIEW CAMERAS are awful.

I'd consider a 3 x 3 rule:
Where at all times after the bounce 3 players from each team must be in their forward and defensive 50 to allow less crowdage numbers at stoppages or a kick behind/in front of the play.
Free kick for infringement.
This is monitored upstairs and mic'd to the umpires and over the PA the same way the NRL do the "6 again/repeat set" calls
(instantly informative and everyone knows what has happened - I love that part of the NRL )

Remove this Banner Ad

Back