The Statistics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Bulldogs players whose 2018 disposal output was the biggest percentage above their career average entering the year:

1. Hayden Crozier - 50% above previous career average
2. Josh Dunkley - 41%
3. Josh Schache - 39%
4. Lachie Hunter - 38%
5. Jack Macrae - 27%
6. Bailey Williams - 25%
7. Matt Suckling - 21%
8. Toby McLean - 21%
9. Jackson Trengove - 18%
10. Tom Boyd - 14%
Interestingly 5 from other clubs. 3 of which you wouldn't necessarily expect that improvement given their time in the system.

Bravo Bevo once more.

Did you know:

In Ted Whitten's final game the scores were Footscray 11.13 (79) vs Hawthorn 11.10 (76).
In Stephen Wallis' final game the scores were Essendon 11.13 (79) vs Footscray 11.10 (76).

Hmmm

b4127dd1e495f9f9f95be8dc4f7e1377

Mitch+Wallis+nixFdwvI69nm.jpg

Our first goalkicker against each team. Can anyone fill in the blanks?

Opponent

First game

First goalkicker

Adelaide

round 6, 1991

Danny Del Re

Brisbane Bears

round 9, 1987

Brisbane Lions

round 15, 1997

Carlton

round 11, 1925

Les Punch

Collingwood

round 10, 1925

George Bayliss

Essendon

round 3, 1925

George Garlick

Fitzroy

round 1, 1925

George Bayliss

Fremantle

round 5, 1995

Richard Osborne

Geelong

round 6, 1925

Joshua Croft

Gold Coast

round 3, 2011

Shaun Higgins

GWS

round 5, 2012

Ayce Cordy

Hawthorn

round 5, 1925

George Bayliss

Melbourne

round 4, 1925

George Bayliss

North Melbourne

round 7, 1925

Sid Thompson

Port Adelaide

round 12, 1997

Richmond

round 8, 1925

Norm McDonald

St. Kilda

round 9, 1925

Allan Hopkins

South/Sydney

round 2, 1925

George Bayliss

West Coast

round 11, 1987

Brian Royal

Our first goalkicker against each team. Can anyone fill in the blanks?

Opponent

First game

First goalkicker

Adelaide

round 6, 1991

Danny Del Re

Brisbane Bears

round 9, 1987

Brisbane Lions

round 15, 1997

Carlton

round 11, 1925

Les Punch

Collingwood

round 10, 1925

George Bayliss

Essendon

round 3, 1925

George Garlick

Fitzroy

round 1, 1925

George Bayliss

Fremantle

round 5, 1995

Richard Osborne

Geelong

round 6, 1925

Joshua Croft

Gold Coast

round 3, 2011

Shaun Higgins

GWS

round 5, 2012

Ayce Cordy

Hawthorn

round 5, 1925

George Bayliss

Melbourne

round 4, 1925

George Bayliss

North Melbourne

round 7, 1925

Sid Thompson

Port Adelaide

round 12, 1997

Richmond

round 8, 1925

Norm McDonald

St. Kilda

round 9, 1925

Allan Hopkins

South/Sydney

round 2, 1925

George Bayliss

West Coast

round 11, 1987

Brian Royal

Wow George Bayliss was a legend! And Ayce etched in the record books.
Maybe Cookie for those97 ones. Guess you have tried youtube?

Wow George Bayliss was a legend! And Ayce etched in the record books.
Maybe Cookie for those97 ones. Guess you have tried youtube?

Yes I have tried YouTube. I found the Adelaide goalkickers in the Herald-Sun who back in 1990 and 1991 printed the goalkickers quarter by quarter. I e-mailed Brisbane, Port and West Coast in the hope they might have historically recorded such things. To their credit, West Coast were the only ones who responded with positive news.

I think that the 1997 R12 Port Adelaide game went:

First Goal - Steve Kolyniuk
Second Goal - Cook
Third Goal - Paul Hudson.

We killed them in the first quarter, the game was all over. Well, I guess it really wasn't all over. They came back to life after quarter time and beat us.

Yes I have tried YouTube. I found the Adelaide goalkickers in the Herald-Sun who back in 1990 and 1991 printed the goalkickers quarter by quarter. I e-mailed Brisbane, Port and West Coast in the hope they might have historically recorded such things. To their credit, West Coast were the only ones who responded with positive news.
FNWB maybe?
There was a thread about looking up old newspaper reports too

Crap game v Brisbane - got thrashed but Rohan Smith got 3. Cookie got 3 v Port

I think that the 1997 R12 Port Adelaide game went:

First Goal - Steve Kolyniuk
Second Goal - Cook
Third Goal - Paul Hudson.

We killed them in the first quarter, the game was all over. Well, I guess it really wasn't all over. They came back to life after quarter time and beat us.
You going on memory? Impressive!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We really struggled against interstate teams in 1997 considering we made a Prelim Final.

We were:
0-2 against the Dockers.
1-2 against the Crows.
0-1 against the Lions.
0-1 against the Power.

We were 0-5 against those four teams in Victoria.

2-1 against the Swans (the loss being by 97 points - our only interstate loss)
2-0 against the Eagles

On the flip side, that obviously means we did well against Victorian sides. We only lost two of those matches - against Collingwood and Richmond, neither of whom made finals.

We were 8-4 against teams who played in the finals and 7-5 against teams who didn't play finals.

1998:

Win/loss record by team:

Adelaide: 1-1
Brisbane: 2-0
Carlton: 1-1
Collingwood: 2-0
Essendon: 2-0
Fremantle: 1-0
Geelong: 1-1
Hawthorn: 1-0
Melbourne: 1-0
North Melb: 1-1
Port Adelaide: 0-1
Richmond: 1-0
St Kilda: 0-1
Sydney: 1-1
West Coast: 1-1

Top 8:
7-5

1999:

Win/loss record by team:

Adelaide: 2-0
Brisbane: 1-1
Carlton: 0-2
Collingwood: 1-0
Essendon: 0-1
Geelong: 1-1
Hawthorn: 0-0-1
North Melb: 1-0
Port Adelaide: 2-0
Richmond: 2-0
St Kilda: 1-1
Sydney: 1-0
West Coast: 1-2

Top 8:
6-6

2000:

Win/loss record by team:

Adelaide: 2-0
Brisbane: 0-3
Carlton: 2-0
Collingwood: 1-1
Essendon: 1-1
Geelong: 0-1
Hawthorn: 0-2
North Melb: 1-0
Port Adelaide: 1-1
Richmond: 0-1
St Kilda: 1-0
Sydney: 1-0
West Coast: 0-1

Top 8:
5-7

Strangely, we were 5-1 against the top four.

Every team we failed to beat in 2000 (Brisbane, Geelong, Hawthorn, Richmond and West Coast), we beat in 2001. It's not often we have managed to beat every team in the league across a two year period. We may have managed to do this in 2008-2009. We failed to beat Geelong in any two year period on either side of our recent premiership.

I have created another Bulldogs related quiz on Sporcle. If you fancy your knowledge on the history of Bulldogs players, you might like to test yourself with which players have polled the most Brownlow votes each season. I have allowed only 8 minutes for the quiz because it's very likely that most of the names that appear are not going to surprise you very much, but if anyone plays the quiz and thinks it needs more time I can add more minutes.

www.sporcle.com/games/worbod/footscraywestern-bulldogs-brownlow-votes

Last edited:
I realised yesterday that last Sunday we played our 1954th game of VFL/AFL football. And our opponents in game 1954 were Melbourne, the team we defeated to win the flag that year. If we miss the finals this year, it will be interesting to see whether we play Hawthorn in round 1 next year (game number 1961).

As has been mentioned elsewhere, Macrae set a new record for most disposals in a season by a Bulldogs player today. Here are some other club records that could potentially be broken in the finals:

Most handballs in a season: Jack Macrae is 15 behind the current record which is jointly held by Scott West and Daniel Cross. Jacko has had less than 15 only three times this season so is a big chance to get the record week one.
Most inside 50s in a season: Marcus Bontempelli is 10 behind the current record. Would take a career best to get the record in week one but if we win and he maintains his average he'll get the record in week two.
Most contested possessions in a season: Josh Dunkley and that man again Macrae are 23 and 24 respectively behind Matty Boyd's record.

And a couple of unlikely ones:

Most uncontested possessions in a season: Lachie Hunter is 69 behind his own record. We'll probably need to go all the way for him to break it but he's going at a better clip than in his record year of 2016.
Most tackles in a season: Josh Dunkley is 39 behind the runaway leader in Tom Liberatore, a long run and some big games required from Dunks.

We've had five players kick 20+ goals this season: Sam Lloyd (37), Aaron Naughton (30), Tory Dickson (24), Josh Schache (23), and Bailey Dale (21). That's the first time we've done that since 2010 when, just like this year, we were the third highest scoring team in the league.

We've had five players kick 20+ goals this season: Sam Lloyd (37), Aaron Naughton (30), Tory Dickson (24), Josh Schache (23), and Bailey Dale (21). That's the first time we've done that since 2010 when, just like this year, we were the third highest scoring team in the league.
That's QI coz if you were paying attention in 2010 you would've seen the writing on the wall for what was to come (a cliff and falling off).

Same but different in 2019 (a mountain and standing atop).

That's QI coz if you were paying attention in 2010 you would've seen the writing on the wall for what was to come (a cliff and falling off).

Same but different in 2019 (a mountain and standing atop).
Absolutely, we had an even bigger spread of goal kickers in the years before that. I'm just saying it's been a while since we've had this many avenues to goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back