The Statistics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a bit self-indulgent, but I remember that 1978 was the first year I started following Footscray. I don't remember consciously following them from Round 1, but I know I was supporting them that year. If I take the beginning of Round 1, 1978 (April 1, 2:10 PM) as the starting point of when I began following the club, and then take the end of the 2016 grand final (October 1 at 5:06 PM) as the moment I witnessed the Bulldogs officially claim the premiership, this is how long it took me to witness my team win a grand final.

Months 462
Matches 888
Weeks 2,009
Quarters 3,552
Days 14,064
Minutes 20,250,896

As things currently stand, only 2 players in our VFL/AFL history have played exactly 173 games. Both have (to date) played in 12 seasons. Their ages at debut were 68 days apart. Their ages at their (thus far) last game were 32y 39 days and 31 years 29 days. One was only 169cm, but played most of his career at approx 87kg, the other is 187cm and played most of his career at approx 86kg.

They have one very significant achievement in common. They both captained our club to a premiership.

1604491101307.png

Have you ever wanted to know how many games Tony Liberatore played? Using Ken Piesse's 1998 biography about Libba as a guide, in which he gives Libba's games totals for his Under 19s and reserves careers, (including North Melbourne games and goals) I have been able to compile a complete list.

Seniors: 283 games, 95 goals
Reserves: 104 games, 105 goals (includes 17 games and 10 goals for North)
Under 19s: 52 games, 65 goals
Night/preseason: 23 games, 1 goal
Victoria: 2 games, 1 goal
TOTAL: 464 games, 267 goals (393 games for the Bulldogs at all levels)

Libba played 8 finals in the Under 19s for North (7 goals), 9 reserves finals (7 goals) and 13 senior finals (1 goal).

New recruits stats!

Stef Martin leaves Brisbane as their all time leader in total hit outs by a wide margin (including Fitzroy and the Bears) and will break the longest running VFL/AFL era record at our club if and when he makes his debut next season; he will become the oldest player to ever make their VFL/AFL debut for the club. The current record is held by Frank Nielsen, who was 34 years and 62 days old when he played in our very first game in the VFL in round 1 in 1925. Frank only played four games and lost all of them, hopefully Stef has a bit more success!

Adam Treloar leaves Collingwood as their all time leader in the following stats: disposals per game, clearances per game, handballs per game, contested possessions per game, and uncontested possessions per game. He's also in the top three for tackles per game, inside 50s per game, and Brownlow votes received per game. He also leads GWS all time in disposals per game, making him and Greg Williams the only players to lead two different clubs in that stat.

Since 2012 (only have data since then) one player in the AFL has received 3 Brownlow Votes with 8 or fewer disposals:

Aaron Naughton

Footscray/ Western Bulldogs have had at least one Brownlow winner for each decade since the 1930s. We had two in the 1980s and 1990s. There are only four seasons left now for us to obtain a winner in the 2010s.
And sadly it ends there :(

Since 2012 (only have data since then) one player in the AFL has received 3 Brownlow Votes with 8 or fewer disposals:

Aaron Naughton
Scott Wynd is the only player to be given three Brownlow votes without registering a kick.

I'm fairly certain we have only ever started a season 5-0 once. Anyone know what year that was?
I think it could be 1946 the longest winning streak to start the season

I think 2008 there was a draw in round 5 so wouldn’t have been 5-0

I could be mistaken

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now you can prove anything that you want from statistics but
122XMsF.jpg

Champion Data has Bailey Dale ranked as the number one general defender.

In a 16-game career across 1996-1998, Mark West kicked 3 goals. All 3 goals were against Adelaide, in 2 prelims. He played 4 finals in his career - all at the G against interstate teams. The 98 prelim was his last game. He played his 16 games at only 4 venues, of which 10 were at the G.

1617934950656.png

1617934847487.png

122XMsF.jpg

It's great to see Bailey Dale take to a new role so well, but can't really see how on any serious measure he'd be rated way ahead of Bailey Williams.

Any statistical methodology that rates Bailey Dale at 1 and Bailey Williams at 19 has issues.

122XMsF.jpg

It's great to see Bailey Dale take to a new role so well, but can't really see how on any serious measure he'd be rated way ahead of Bailey Williams.

Any statistical methodology that rates Bailey Dale at 1 and Bailey Williams at 19 has issues.

AFL Player Ratings has always been the strangest of the rating metrics, it relies way too heavily on things like efficiency and moving the ball forward. It heavily penalises any kicks backwards which is a staple for defenders these days.

Having a quick look Dale is leading in several stats which I've listed below but anyone with any knowledge of the game would rate Williams miles ahead of the Dale.

1. Dale has kicked 2 goals compared to Williams with 0.
2. Dale has taken 6 intercept marks compared to Williams with 1.
3. Dale has taken 4 contested marks compared to Williams with 1.
4. Dale's metres gained have been retained 86% of the time compared to Williams with 73% of his metres gained retained.

Ranking Points wise Williams is averaging 95, while Dale is averaging 85 which seems a bit more reasonable.

It's only this year as well, 3 games tiny sample size.

On this sample size, I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest Bale has been better than Williams. Both have been very good.

True and AFL Player Ratings was designed as a season/career metric. Career wise Williams is ranked 46th for general defenders and Dale is ranked 59th incidentally Daniel is ranked 1st.

True and AFL Player Ratings was designed as a season/career metric. Career wise Williams is ranked 46th for general defenders and Dale is ranked 59th incidentally Daniel is ranked 1st.
Interesting that it would carry over Dale's games when he was classified as a Gen Fwd in their system. From what I understand a player's true gauge in the model isn't really found until they've played the full 40 games that they can be rated on. I wouldn't say Dale's current rank of 59th is reflective of his rating as a Gen Defender as he's only played 3 games in that position.

Interesting that it would carry over Dale's games when he was classified as a Gen Fwd in their system. From what I understand a player's true gauge in the model isn't really found until they've played the full 40 games that they can be rated on. I wouldn't say Dale's current rank of 59th is reflective of his rating as a Gen Defender as he's only played 3 games in that position.

It's just based on the last 40 games regardless of position I believe. The graphic below is from when AFL Player Ratings first launched so ignore the "last two seasons" as the initial ratings were based off the 2010-2011 seasons.

Screenshot 2021-04-09 at 7.06.17 pm.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back