the Strikers

VSTone

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 17, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
why we didn't we drop the game against the renegades?

thunder tore us a new one again... this tearing might take time to heal.

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
why we didn't we drop the game against the renegades?

thunder tore us a new one again... this tearing might take time to heal.
It was either bad coaching or bad captaincy. Keeping Ludeman ahead of Dean and playing Putland (and opening the bowling???!) was terrible selection. And then leaving our best two bowlers close to halfway through the innings when the game was pretty much over was incredibly stupid. We didn't deserve to get close last night based on our own choices.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
It was either bad coaching or bad captaincy. Keeping Ludeman ahead of Dean and playing Putland (and opening the bowling???!) was terrible selection. And then leaving our best two bowlers close to halfway through the innings when the game was pretty much over was incredibly stupid. We didn't deserve to get close last night based on our own choices.
Funny, the 2 times Ludes didn't make runs we lose. The bagging of him has been ridiculous IMO.

VSTone

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 17, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide

on the take again?

Apr 20, 2001
Adelaide Oval / Anfield
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd,Liverpool, WWT Eagles.
Was a mistake to include Lehmann instead of Dean. Mahela could have batted down the order. Typical choke. The only two trophies of note in the last 28 years were won by a Tassie choke (and putland) and the number 10 and 11 batsmen performting a miracle. Tough supporting SA cricket.

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Nup. He was terrible all season and nearly cost us in two other games. Sorry but Dean had to play.

Ludeman:

ludes'.PNG

18, 17, 0, 26, 30, 57*, 57*, 49, 2 = 256 runs at an average of 37

I think he's average too but let's not all pretend last night was his fault.

Hodge:

hodge.PNG

244 runs at an average of 61

Head:

head.PNG

299 runs at an average of 43

Jayawardena:

jayawardena.PNG

191 runs at an average of 27.

So far, Jayawardena, Head, Hodge and Ludeman hit about half their average or less. But we still made 160, so that's defendable. So what happened?

Oh right, we dropped West for Gary "wicket taking machine" Putland, who hadn't played since mid-October at this level, and hasn't taken more than two wickets in an innings since * knows when:

putland.PNG

what the * in this formline screamed "get him in the team"?

Whilst at the same time, we lost Richardson to National duties, Stanlake to injury, and West to nervous selectors (yes, Gayle belted him. Gayle would have belted anyone - show some faith in the kid).

In the end it was bad bowling selection, the wrong bowlers were brought on at the wrong times, and the field positioning was ludicrous at stages. Oh, plus ******* Usman Khawaja finding some form, because National Selector and all-round jizzbag Mark "Sooking because I'm not as good as my brother" Waugh wanted him to get some form at the same time his favourite Big Bash team were playing in a cut-throat final. Co-incidence.

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ludeman:

View attachment 208598

Hodge:

View attachment 208600

Head:

View attachment 208601

Jayawardena:

View attachment 208603

So far, Jayawardena, Head, Hodge and Ludeman hit about half their average or less. But we still made 160, so that's defendable. So what happened?

Oh right, we dropped West for Gary "wicket taking machine" Putland, who hadn't played since mid-October at this level, and hasn't taken more than two wickets in an innings since **** knows when:

View attachment 208608

what the **** in this formline screamed "get him in the team"?

Whilst at the same time, we lost Richardson to National duties, Stanlake to injury, and West to nervous selectors (yes, Gayle belted him. Gayle would have belted anyone - show some faith in the kid).

In the end it was bad bowling selection, the wrong bowlers were brought on at the wrong times, and the field positioning was ludicrous at stages. Oh, plus ******* Usman Khawaja finding some form, because National Selector and all-round jizzbag Mark "Sooking because I'm not as good as my brother" Waugh wanted him to get some form at the same time his favourite Big Bash team were playing in a cut-throat final. Co-incidence.
I hate to rain on your parade here but strike rates are far more important than averages in T20. By going at a slow rate (and trying to stay in - which increased his average from last year) he puts pressure on the guy up the other end to increase their risk taking which more often than not meant we fell into a hole directly from having Ludeman opening.

Sep 17, 2010
Waverley Park
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Dragons FFC
The main problem I could see was our depth of fast bowling in our squad. We had a lot, but a lot counts for nothing when it's all crap.

Richardson was unexpectedly selected for the Aussie team - yes he's performed quite well since getting a gig, but selection over a few other guys around the country raised (at least) my eyebrows. He has been our best performing short form bowler for several years now.
Laughlin - can't hold the fort on his own
Neser - really stood up this season, but isn't the best bowler around

Putland - Strikes me as an inclusion "open in case of emergency"
Stanlake - has been injured with stress fractures a lot, apparently
Kingston - only given one shot, unknown
West - too inexperienced
Keath - why even bother putting him on the list?

Pollard - has taken a lot of wickets for us over the years, his injury hurt a lot given he has Mahela's run scoring ability as well as providing a great middle innings foil for the bowlers.
Tait - let him go in our stupidity, lo and behold, selected for Aus again!
Mennie - didn't even get a bowl for whichever BBL club he now plays for

What we really need is a top quality fast bowler to compliment Richo, Laughlin and Neser. Thunder picked up McKay (masterstroke), Russell (masterstroke) and have Watson and Kallis who are both really effective medium pacers, and Sandhu has represented Aus. Stars have Boland, Faulkner, Hastings, Hilfenhaus, Stoinis, Worrall and Gulbis. Scorchers have Behrendorff, Coulter-Nile, Mitch Marsh, Tye, Paris and Willey. We are clearly lacking in effectiveness in this area.

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
I hate to rain on your parade here but strike rates are far more important than averages in T20. By going at a slow rate (and trying to stay in - which increased his average from last year) he puts pressure on the guy up the other end to increase their risk taking which more often than not meant we fell into a hole directly from having Ludeman opening.

Yet we still got to 160. By your logic, if Ludeman is sticking around chewing up deliveries, then last night when he got out for two and didn't stick around being a strike-hog, we should have scored waaaaay more.

I reiterate:
In the end it was bad bowling selection, the wrong bowlers were brought on at the wrong times, and the field positioning was ludicrous at stages.

Ludeman:

View attachment 208598

Hodge:

View attachment 208600

Head:

View attachment 208601

Jayawardena:

View attachment 208603

Oh right, we dropped West for Gary "wicket taking machine" Putland, who hadn't played since mid-October at this level, and hasn't taken more than two wickets in an innings since **** knows when:

View attachment 208608

Post of the thread

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
He was going at over 100, and we won all bar the 2 games he failed in. IMO he wasn't anywhere near as bad as a few suggested

He was going at over 100, and we won all bar the 2 games he failed in. IMO he wasn't anywhere near as bad as a few suggested
The issue with ludeman is he was striking at around 100 compared to 140 last year. Whilst he got runs I'm most games, he usually struggled with the big shots & relied upon the other batsman to up the run rate.

Personally I would have played Dean & dropped. Ludeman down the order... But all academic now.

Imo, playing 2 underdone players was a bigger issue.

Back