Rules The Sub Rule - Time to make it Black and White

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Jackson subbed out.

Gary Pert - "We've come out of the game without any injuries".

AFL need to sort this out.
No one could be bothered on the commentary team even talking about it. They were up by 10 goals with half a quarter to go so had zero bearing on the outcome, plus a week off the next week.

Luke Jackson subbed out.

Gary Pert - "We've come out of the game without any injuries".

AFL need to sort this out.
Goodwin said it was a corky he got early, but I imagine if the rules were tighter this wouldn't be a factor. From memory, this is the first time Melbourne has used the rule this way.

Someone explain to me why it was needed in the first place. We have 4 on the bench already.
Again, incredibly easy to resolve this and make it a non issue.

Option 1. We don't have a sub.
Option 2. You can use the sub for any reason.

It takes away all grey area and makes it a complete non issue, ever.

It was black and white. It was originally just for concussions and should have remained that way.

It was black and white. It was originally just for concussions and should have remained that way.

I don't see why concussion is the only injury that should be available for substitution. I'm not sure what the answer is but I feel it should be available for all injuries or not have it at all.

Coaches are always going to push to have more on the bench. It's up to the AFL to work out what is best for the game and balance the amount of people on the interchange for what is best for the game, whether the fans and coaches agree with it or not.

I don't see why concussion is the only injury that should be available for substitution. I'm not sure what the answer is but I feel it should be available for all injuries or not have it at all.

Coaches are always going to push to have more on the bench. It's up to the AFL to work out what is best for the game and balance the amount of people on the interchange for what is best for the game, whether the fans and coaches agree with it or not.

It was originally planned as a bespoke response to concussion injuries and potential future litigation. The league could say "we took action".

They then bowed to pressure from clubs and watered it down to the ridiculous implementation we have now.

The more it devolves, the more it could be argued it no longer achieves the original objective, and the AFL is under threat of potential litigation yet again.

Just another screw-up by the AFL.

Still use for injuries but if one team activates theirs the other team can do the same at anytime thereafter.
Either that or just have a sub for anything. If you make the call for someone who is not performing and then get a bad injury, tough luck.

Can someone point me to a game where a club tactically activated the sub and it actually made a difference?
I thought Geelong v Collingwood earlier this year - we subbed out Esava and put on a fresh Luke Dahlaus. He normally plays small defensive forward but he went into the guts and got plenty of the ball and made a difference in my opinion.

Not saying Esava wasn't injured, but the sub helped Geelong a fair bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Geelong v Collingwood earlier this year - we subbed out Esava and put on a fresh Luke Dahlaus. He normally plays small defensive forward but he went into the guts and got plenty of the ball and made a difference in my opinion.

Not saying Esava wasn't injured, but the sub helped Geelong a fair bit.

Agree - Dalhaus made a big impact when he came on. As you say, it wasn't a tactical sub - Esava didn't play the next week (listed as injured).

Can someone point me to a game where a club tactically activated the sub and it actually made a difference?

The one that sticks out in my mind was round 19 - Rich v Freo. Ben Miller subbed out half-way through 4th quarter. Maurice Rioli Jnr came on and made a couple of crucial tackles in a very close match (ended in a tie).

Fairly sure Miller played the following week.

The one that sticks out in my mind was round 19 - Rich v Freo. Ben Miller subbed out half-way through 4th quarter. Maurice Rioli Jnr came on and made a couple of crucial tackles in a very close match (ended in a tie).

Fairly sure Miller played the following week.
Another one vs Freo. Mason Cox subbed out in the 1st quarter with a hand complaint for Oliver Henry. It was pissing down so Cox wasn't doing much and Henry kicked 4 goals. Cox played the following week.

Another one vs Freo. Mason Cox subbed out in the 1st quarter with a hand complaint for Oliver Henry. It was pissing down so Cox wasn't doing much and Henry kicked 4 goals. Cox played the following week.

Example if the 'injury not taking long to heal', if I recall Cox had a split in his finger down to the bone, which after stitches and a week was ready to go again.

There are some injuries that make you useless on the day but take less than a week to heal...

So last night it seems Richmond used their sub for "cramp" or "groin injury" who knows. It actually doesn't matter and didn't change the outcome of the game.

My gripe is the fact that the rule was introduced to cover concussion and players going off because of that and then the players being subbed out could then not play for a given amount of days usually missing the next match. Then it's somehow morphed into actual injuries and now it's whatever you want and players can play the next week without worry. Same thing happened when Mason Cox played Freo in the wet earlier in the year and was subbed out for "finger injury" and Henry came on and bagged 4 and Cox played the next week no worries.

The rule is too grey.

You want to keep it in that's fine. But stop pretending it's for injuries and just give clubs the ability to use it however the hell they like. Every game clubs get one sub to use whenever it suits, injury or not.
With you on your general point but Cox had a compound fracture of his finger. I think it's reasonable to expect you can't play the rest of the game if your bone is outside the skin.

With you on your general point but Cox had a compound fracture of his finger. I think it's reasonable to expect you can't play the rest of the game if your bone is outside the skin.
Photo or it didn’t happen. I would have thought an injury that bad would rule you out of next week.

I didn’t want to start a new thread for this sub related question. Why is the sub not named with the whole side? I don’t understand why it’s different. Does any know why? Not just a feel either, anything official. I’ve had a google. No luck.

I thought as a concept, it worked well last night. Brisbane lost an important player just 2 minutes into the game, and Richmond lost one around half-time (I think). Without the sub, Bris would have been down a rotation for a half of footy.

So, as a concept, I think it's fine, BUT it is still open for abuse, and doesn't mitigate the risk of future player litigation (the reason it was brought in).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back