No Oppo Supporters The Sun Lounge (Suns posters only)

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
You guys and girls should find another bay around the ground and take up residence there (at the moment, there is a fair bit of real estate to pick from). Like an Active Support area which you see in the A-League. It may not be behind the goals, but you could still keep that energy going. The club would recognise very quickly where the most noise is coming from.

There was a breakaway group at Metricon in 2014ish. Used to sit up the scoreboard end. Matchu had a thread about it. It rocked the majority of the year but a few people moved away and it kinda disolved I think

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
View attachment 1169166

A lot of people have asked or been curious as to why the cheer squad (SUNSCREAMERS) don't get as much energy and drive at Metricon stadium as they do at other grounds. I don't want to name and shame people despite the comment above being on a public facebook page, but it's a sense of superiority/entitlement from members who force people out or drive them away.Many many many great supporters have been and gone from the Gold Coast based cheer squad. But whenever the attention is off the small group of individuals and other people bring new/exciting ideas and energy to the area, they are alienated and bullied.

Whether or not you are all about cheer squads and the happy nuff energy they bring, it should be there for the following reasons. To cheer on the team, raise energy levels amongst the crowd and show a bit of colour. Why at grounds like Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide etc does this happen noticeably but not on the Gold Coast? Because people are allowed to cheer, make noise, celebrate and be fans of footy/SUNS. This will NOT change at Metricon Stadium for the foreseeable future whilst there are people who make comments like the above.

'Remember that the bay is the "cheer squad" bay and most of you aren't actually SUNSCREAMERS'

Basically, the message from day one at the SUNS in the AFL (I say AFL, because these people were not active fans at many games proceeding the 2011 season) is 'Please join us to make our bay look better, but don't show any more passion than we do because we have been here for XX years and it would not be fair to show us up'

For fans in other stadiums (such as Melbournes effort last night), are given the freedom to support unrestrained (within reason) and that energy reverberates around the ground. Even when heavily outnumbered. If we want to turn Metricon into a fortress, people need to take a good look at themselves, realise they are not owed anything and attitudes have to change. I hope it happens, but I wont hold my breath
That is genuinely pathetic.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
There was a breakaway group at Metricon in 2014ish. Used to sit up the scoreboard end. Matchu had a thread about it. It rocked the majority of the year but a few people moved away and it kinda disolved I think
Ahh I remember Targetman, same thing?

Just find a bay along the wing or on the 50 so the camera can see you and go nuts, like a very small Bay 13 at the G.

Again, I clearly don't know the politics behind 'cheersquads' but just thinking out loud.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
The atmosphere at the Victorian games are incredible tbh. The drum, the chants, it is all amazing. We need to think of ways to build on this, recruit more to join in the fun and grow as a Victorian suns group! I reckon we can too. The energy in the bay is electric. CanYouFeelTheSunburn your drum has been an amazing initiative. The players love it, the members love it, the club love it and best of all the opposition hate it!

It is a pleasure to be apart of a great 'family' so to speak. I'm usually a quiet person but I have also started to find my voice a bit! It definitely helps when we are all together. I am hoping that the club actually brings in a Victorian Sun membership so we can actually 'legally' be in that area! I tend to stay in my allocated seat because I don't want to go in someone else's seat then need to keep moving.

View attachment 1169166

A lot of people have asked or been curious as to why the cheer squad (SUNSCREAMERS) don't get as much energy and drive at Metricon stadium as they do at other grounds. I don't want to name and shame people despite the comment above being on a public facebook page, but it's a sense of superiority/entitlement from members who force people out or drive them away.Many many many great supporters have been and gone from the Gold Coast based cheer squad. But whenever the attention is off the small group of individuals and other people bring new/exciting ideas and energy to the area, they are alienated and bullied.

Whether or not you are all about cheer squads and the happy nuff energy they bring, it should be there for the following reasons. To cheer on the team, raise energy levels amongst the crowd and show a bit of colour. Why at grounds like Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide etc does this happen noticeably but not on the Gold Coast? Because people are allowed to cheer, make noise, celebrate and be fans of footy/SUNS. This will NOT change at Metricon Stadium for the foreseeable future whilst there are people who make comments like the above.

'Remember that the bay is the "cheer squad" bay and most of you aren't actually SUNSCREAMERS'

Basically, the message from day one at the SUNS in the AFL (I say AFL, because these people were not active fans at many games proceeding the 2011 season) is 'Please join us to make our bay look better, but don't show any more passion than we do because we have been here for XX years and it would not be fair to show us up'

For fans in other stadiums (such as Melbournes effort last night), are given the freedom to support unrestrained (within reason) and that energy reverberates around the ground. Even when heavily outnumbered. If we want to turn Metricon into a fortress, people need to take a good look at themselves, realise they are not owed anything and attitudes have to change. I hope it happens, but I wont hold my breath

Out of curiosity, whats their opinion on CanYouFeelTheSunburn?

Depends if you ask what they have said to his face or what they have said to others :p ;)

You said that it was a public group, don't suppose you could ever so subtly point me in the direction of that group?

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
You said that it was a public group, don't suppose you could ever so subtly point me in the direction of that group?

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
1625204999830.png

1625205015012.png

1625205052908.png

1625205074722.png

1625205115803.png

if we had the energy that CanYouFeelTheSunburn & co from the victorian supporter base provided at all home games at metricon stadium, we would win a lot more games and have much greater attendance figures. it's as simple as that.

Completely agree man, it's up to you guys to set the tone up there and be the change you want to see :) it won't happen overnight but over time it will. All it takes is one person to create change. One step at a time. Hope that encourages you.

We will keep doing our best down here in Victoria to give our players every chance at success.

Sep 25, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The atmosphere last night was amazing. I think these reduce crowds help with that as well. Noise was great in Geelong a few weeks ago as well but we were a bit more outnumbered that day. As someone who cops a lot living in Geelong supporting the Suns, it's awesome to be able to have other victorian members together at games. It's a shame this noise isn't always replicated everywhere. I know every cheer squad has some level of fighting and entitlement but for a small club trying to grow it's the last thing we need.

For any other Victorians Suns fans out there, make sure you get along to as many games as you can and Queenslanders (once you can) please come down and join the fun!

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Ohh, I've got one

5f7f5d.jpg
Brilliant

View attachment 1169166

Sigh, Same old story.

Some of the greatest footy moments of mine have been trips down to Melbourne with the gang to watch us get smashed by 60 points (Occasionally we'd win a game or two but for the most part we knew what we were getting ourselves into)

There was just a level of atmosphere down there that home game simply don't provide and it's got nothing to do with Gold Coast not being a "football town", It's about the people involved with the unsanctioned "Victorian Suns Army" vs the elitest "SUNScreamers" that got themslevs in on the ground floor and have coasted ever since, Pushing out anyone that might become a threat to the "crown"

This isn't about me ever wanting to be king s**t of the Sunscreamers, Far from it. If anyone remembers pre-modship BRM, That kid was a loose cannon.

All we ever wanted to do was create an atmosphere where we stirred each other up and that in turn made noise that spurred the boys on. But as soon as the "Offical" cheer squad got involved, All semblance of off the cuff fun was stomped out (RIP the Harley Bennell chant set to "Ole")

Most of us are aware of the hijacking of the "He's alright" bit - "We didn't come up with it so you can't do it... Actually we're gonna steal it and butcher it, k thx"

Their favoutite go to when called out for not being loud is another cracker "Well I don't see you putting your hand up" When in reality, people put their hands up and as soon as the top dogs get threatened they run them out as quick as they came in. They put on this condesending "oh honey, oh sweetie" demeanor to cover up the "Game of Thrones" esqe politicking that's kept the cheer squad stagnent and dull for years.

It's not necessarily the clubs fault. If they had the resouces for a dedicated cheer squad staffer/liasion like i'm postive most of the other clubs have, I don't think the problem would be this bad. But much like the early days of the team, It was set up half assed and hasn't ever changed because unlike the players on the field, The cheersquad doesn't get put under the blowtorch for losing by 100 points. But it should.

You want a solution? Put a broom through the place and build it from the ground up properly; or at the very least inject some youthful energy into it. Because not only did Richmonds 100k member base get shown up last night, So did our "Cheersquad" Want to know why? Because it happened naturally as opposed to being forced, The Victorian Suns Army has HEART, It has SOUL.

Keep banging the drum guys and I'll keep banging the drum for y'all.

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Brilliant

Sigh, Same old story.

Some of the greatest footy moments of mine have been trips down to Melbourne with the gang to watch us get smashed by 60 points (Occasionally we'd win a game or two but for the most part we knew what we were getting ourselves into)

There was just a level of atmosphere down there that home game simply don't provide and it's got nothing to do with Gold Coast not being a "football town", It's about the people involved with the unsanctioned "Victorian Suns Army" vs the elitest "SUNScreamers" that got themslevs in on the ground floor and have coasted ever since, Pushing out anyone that might become a threat to the "crown"

This isn't about me ever wanting to be king sh*t of the Sunscreamers, Far from it. If anyone remembers pre-modship BRM, That kid was a loose cannon.

All we ever wanted to do was create an atmosphere where we stirred each other up and that in turn made noise that spurred the boys on. But as soon as the "Offical" cheer squad got involved, All semblance of off the cuff fun was stomped out (RIP the Harley Bennell chant set to "Ole")

Most of us are aware of the hijacking of the "He's alright" bit - "We didn't come up with it so you can't do it... Actually we're gonna steal it and butcher it, k thx"

Their favoutite go to when called out for not being loud is another cracker "Well I don't see you putting your hand up" When in reality, people put their hands up and as soon as the top dogs get threatened they run them out as quick as they came in. They put on this condesending "oh honey, oh sweetie" demeanor to cover up the "Game of Thrones" esqe politicking that's kept the cheer squad stagnent and dull for years.

It's not necessarily the clubs fault. If they had the resouces for a dedicated cheer squad staffer/liasion like i'm postive most of the other clubs have, I don't think the problem would be this bad. But much like the early days of the team, It was set up half assed and hasn't ever changed because unlike the players on the field, The cheersquad doesn't get put under the blowtorch for losing by 100 points. But it should.

You want a solution? Put a broom through the place and build it from the ground up properly; or at the very least inject some youthful energy into it. Because not only did Richmonds 100k member base get shown up last night, So did our "Cheersquad" Want to know why? Because it happened naturally as opposed to being forced, The Victorian Suns Army has HEART, It has SOUL.

Post of the year

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Brilliant

Sigh, Same old story.

This isn't about me ever wanting to be king sh*t of the Sunscreamers, Far from it. If anyone remembers pre-modship BRM, That kid was a loose cannon.

Just sent an email off to the Club...... a few lines of the email below.

One thing I did notice however was a great members presence behind goals at one end, who didn't stop supporting our boys the whole night. It came over LOUD and clear thru the tele.
I'm sure the players were most appreciative of that support and would like to hear/see that support at every game..

However I don't see or hear that when I watch our games at Metricon. Why?

Wonder what sort of response I'll get...

Back