No Oppo Supporters The Sun Lounge (Suns posters only)

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Nice start.
I agree with queries, and believe there’s a lot of hope there this year. Dew and Solomon seem to have banded the team together really well.
I’m a massive fan of Powell. I know there’s only been glimpses, but I think there’s massive Jack Martin-like potential there.
Having seen Dew’s structural set up of the team last season, it was panel’s better than the previous set up. It was always skill execution that let us down. I’m tipping Dew’s team; will execute better, is far fitter, and has bonded better as a team.
Quietly excited about the upcoming season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
If that 2km time trial video on the club website today showed the actual place finishers, it looked like 1. Schoenfeld 2. Miller 3. Murdoch and 4. Powell. Good effort from Wil :thumbsu:

I'll be happy with 6-8 wins this year, build the team bond, skills, fitness, and then another year older and all systems go in 2020.....

Any more wins than that, would be an absolute well deserved bonus...

I'm hoping we can do quite well this season, just so we can give a big FU to the Melbourne Media about how they know s**t about s**t.

I may be a little bias though and maybe we are again going to be a basket case, but I really hope we surprise a few teams (a la Sydney last season)

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'm hoping we can do quite well this season, just so we can give a big FU to the Melbourne Media about how they know s**t about s**t.

I may be a little bias though and maybe we are again going to be a basket case, but I really hope we surprise a few teams (a la Sydney last season)
Just need some confidence early to get on a bit of a roll. Learn how to win.

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
I am not going to judge our season on wins and losses.

We are the youngest list in the comp by a fair margin, and the least experienced.
The guys we brought in are either untried state league players, solid AFL players who are not stars by a long way, or 18 year olds.
In pretty much every game we play this season we should be playing plenty of under 21's or older guys with less than 20 games of experience.

That is not a formula for winning a lot of games in the modern AFL.

Must show strong signs of improvement and be better for longer in games, but it would be pretty easy for us to be really competitive in most games and still only win 3 or 4 games.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Worst list in the history of the AFL has been said by a number of 'experts'

Worst list in the history of the AFL has been said by a number of 'experts'

I think one of those "experts" was Matthew Lloyd wasn't it?

Seems to have conveniently forgotten about a recent Essendon side.

Old Sol

Senior List
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast

We are the youngest list in the comp by a fair margin, and the least experienced.
The guys we brought in are either untried state league players, solid AFL players who are not stars by a long way, or 18 year olds.
In pretty much every game we play this season we should be playing plenty of under 21's or older guys with less than 20 games of experience.

Must show strong signs of improvement and be better for longer in games, but it would be pretty easy for us to be really competitive in most games and still only win 3 or 4 games.
Hard to see the wins stacking up. 3-4 wins with closer losses would be a encouraging result. Getting another 15-20 games experience into our midfielders with Ainsworth, Bowes and Fiorini getting closer to 50 games playing together is going to critical to winnining more in 2020.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast

All valid points.

The average age does not look bad when looking at best 22 or even best 34-35 players. We got some depth of mature bodies now.

The whole list 46 players - average age is 23yr 0mth.

E.g. my round 1 best 22 - average age 23yr 10mth:
B Harbrow Thompson Murdoch
HB Ballard Hombsh Hanley
C Weller Swallow Lukosius
HF Sexton Wright Martin
F Rankine Day Ainsworth

Foll: Miles Brodie Witts
Int: Fiorini Macpherson Miller Bowes

Add these 13 players - still 23yr 10mth!
Ah Chee, GHS, Young, Holman, Joyce, Corbett, Collins, Burgess, Lemmens, Leslie, Nicholls, Ellis

Dew may also decide to still play Rischitelli and we get even older :)

Just praying that Alex Rigby knows what he's doing. Not sure that boxing in 40+ degrees shed is smart.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Try being a Bolton fan
You don't say? Well this makes this game more interesting 😉
Screenshot_20190116-213023_Chrome.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brenton87

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'll be happy with 6-8 wins this year, build the team bond, skills, fitness, and then another year older and all systems go in 2020.....

Any more wins than that, would be an absolute well deserved bonus...
6-8 wins would be a good effort, consolidating what the boys have been working towards during the pre-season, personally i would be happy with closer games with the days of 10 goal thrashings gone and to be nothing but a distant memory

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
I hope you win as Bolton need to concentrate on avoiding relegation to the third division
I'm sure we can help you out with that Bods. Although that said, I would like us to focus on getting up into a promotion playoff position.

I just like that there are fans of sides in the championship here for future banter.
I'm a QPR fan myself.
Small world, I wonder what it is with Suns supporters and Championship teams?

GCSportsBuzz

Senior List
Oct 23, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I took my kids to the Open Day training session on Thursday at Palm Beach. Had a chat to a few players and coaches. The vibe is excellent, coaches are trying to temper their excitement at this stage. Looking extremely fit

Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions
I don't think waiting for Touk to mature more is necessary. Make him captain or co captain with Swallow. The dude is a rock, hes an amazing communicator, so likeable and as reliable as they come in every facet of football. If he isn't captain this year he will be in the next 3 years. He has to be. He is captain material through and through.

GCSportsBuzz

Senior List
Oct 23, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I don't think waiting for Touk to mature more is necessary. Make him captain or co captain with Swallow. The dude is a rock, hes an amazing communicator, so likeable and as reliable as they come in every facet of football. If he isn't captain this year he will be in the next 3 years. He has to be. He is captain material through and through.

He is also very influential within the younger group. People like Peter Wright, Jack Bowes, Ainsworth, etc. Even having him as Vice Captain would probably do the job

GCSportsBuzz

Senior List
Oct 23, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Judging by comments made from coaches and what I saw, expect big years from Powell, Wright and Lemmens.

Feb 27, 2005
Port Augusta
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
QPR
Lads, (and ladies) coming in june for the north Melbourne game. Bringing the family for the first time. Been there before with the wife but this is the first time since the kids were born.
We've got an apartment in q1 booked (I know a lot of you are anti surfers but we've stayed here before so we are happy with location). Staying a week. Will do sea world and movie world. What other must dos that might spark the interest of a 2.5 year old?
Beach of course. But looking to fill out the week. Bonus points if there are parenting facilities (although not a must) as our youngest son will be 11 months by then.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Lads, (and ladies) coming in june for the north Melbourne game. Bringing the family for the first time. Been there before with the wife but this is the first time since the kids were born.
We've got an apartment in q1 booked (I know a lot of you are anti surfers but we've stayed here before so we are happy with location). Staying a week. Will do sea world and movie world. What other must dos that might spark the interest of a 2.5 year old?
Beach of course. But looking to fill out the week. Bonus points if there are parenting facilities (although not a must) as our youngest son will be 11 months by then.

Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary comes to mind

Remove this Banner Ad

Back