No Oppo Supporters The Sun Lounge (Suns posters only)

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
Trying to work through a best 22 atm. It’s actually hard working out who to leave out. Interesting scenario now.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Always is hard this time of year, but more so for us with such a huge turnover of players. We will have a much clearer picture coming in to Rd 1, after match Sims, JLT etc

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
By committee rather than one individual with a big haul.

Can see wright, Corbett, sexton, rankine and maybe Martin averaging in the vicinity of 1 goal per game.

If those 5 can kick at least 20 goals each with one or two of them going 30+ then that sets up a reasonable scoring basis.

GCSportsBuzz

Senior List
Oct 23, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
By committee rather than one individual with a big haul.

Can see wright, Corbett, sexton, rankine and maybe Martin averaging in the vicinity of 1 goal per game.

If those 5 can kick at least 20 goals each with one or two of them going 30+ then that sets up a reasonable scoring basis.

We need to kick over 300 goals this season (avg at least 14 goals/game this season)
Wright 50+
Corbett 30+
Sexton, Rankine, Martin, Day 20+
Midfield group (Swallow, Miller, Ainsworth, Bowes, Weller, Powell) - 60+

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
THE Suns have conducted the most detailed match simulation of the preseason as they prepare for next week’s first hitout against a rival club.
Players took part in four quarters of 20 minutes at Metricon Stadium on Thursday as coach Stuart Dew begins the task of finding his best 22 for the 2019 AFL season.
With many position battles going on across all areas of the ground, we reveal our top five takeaways from the game.
1. REST FOR THE BEST: Their peers sweated it out while trying to catch the eye of the match committee but for five of Gold Coast’s players, it was a non-event.
Ruckman Jarrod Witts, defenders Rory Thompson, Pearce Hanley and Jesse Joyce and midfield recruit Anthony Miles were all rested for the game.
Club officials said none of the group were injured and it’s understood they will take part in next week’s scratch match against Brisbane.
Reading between the lines, the five appear to have all but sewn up their spot in the best 22.
They have all been regulars in recent years when fit but Miles’ exclusion is of particular interest given he only arrived from Richmond at the end of last year through the trade period.
It’s the best indication yet the midfielder has done enough to earn the opportunity he came to Queensland for.
2. KEY MATCH UPS
The match ups between key position players at either end of the ground made for intriguing viewing as Gold Coast search for Tom Lynch and Steven May’s replacements.
Experienced forwards Peter Wright and Sam Day were on opposing sides, indicating the defenders marking them were the frontrunners to partner Thompson at the back
State-league recruit and former Fremantle player Sam Collins marked Wright between the forward’s stints in the ruck while ex-Port Adelaide defender Jack Hombsch took on Day.
Top 10 draft pick and key defender Ben King battled it out against fellow draftee and key forward Jack Lukosius while Chris Burgess partnered Day in front of goal.
3. INJURIES
Josh Corbett has impressed his teammates and coaches since arriving at the Suns from VFL club Werribee but the key forward failed to take part in the match due to a knee injury.
Corbett was putting pressure on the key forwards and was in line to sneak a starting role but his setback has come at a costly time.
The extent of the injury is unknown at this stage and whether Corbett will be fit to play against Brisbane next week.
Suns wingman Josh Schoenfeld also missed the game due to an ankle injury that has forced him in to a moon boot.
4. STANDOUT PERFORMANCE
Callum Ah Chee was a cut above the rest and a clear best on ground.
The forward had clean hands while others around him fumbled, his movement and decision making was fast and fluid and his disposals were as accurate as any.
Ah Chee moved between forward and the midfield and even spent a little bit of time at the back where he helped at AFL level in 2018 while others were injured.
It’s a great sign for the forward who had an interrupted start to his 2018 campaign.
Ah Chee broke the metacarpal bone in his left hand on the last day of preseason leading in to the 2017 Christmas break while attempting to gather a ground ball.
Ah Chee then tore his left hamstring in January last year while making a tackle at training, ruling him out of the JLT Community Series and early stages of the AFL season.
5. STUCK IN THE MIDDLE
The two midfield groups looked evenly split to get a nice balance for what was fairly competitive football while Tom Nicholls had every chance to put pressure on proffered ruckman Jarrod Witts.
Nicholls spent the most time at ruck, taking on Brayden Crossley and Sam Day who shared the load for the opposing team.
With Witts being rested, it will be interesting to see if Dew plays Nicholls against Brisbane.

GCSportsBuzz

Senior List
Oct 23, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
What did we think of today’s game?

From a team perspective;
1. was impressed with the consistent pressure applied
2. Good consistent contributions across the board
3. Skill execution was MUCH better, which allowed them to more systematically move forward
4. The defensive system, structure and talent is massively improved
5. Tremendous depth compared to previous seasons

Individuals;
1. Peter Wright was outstanding. Worked his ass off, must have taken 15+ marks, and mainly through gut-busting running.
2. Will Powell will have a breakout year, and will be in the running for the Rising Star award.
3. Rankine showed some next level brilliance, he’s ready now.
4. Hombsch, looked terrific, didn’t lose 1 contest, locked in.
5. Bowes & Miles were great through the middle
6. Mature age recruiters have great value, Collins is a beast! Locked himself in to start the season, Burgess may need a couple of NEAFL games to find his groove, but he’s got AFL talent, can play forward and back.
7. Ballard played really well and I was surprised how developed he was, he’s put some kgs on over the summer.

Outstanding crowd as well, was shocked how many people were there, over 4,000 people.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks

Thanks for your thoughts.
How did Cal Ah Chee go? Was he playing exclusively forward line or also through the midfield?

I'm a big believer in his talent - hoping he can have a good season and start to live up to that - coming up toward his 50th game so should start to see some further development.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Thanks for your thoughts.
How did Cal Ah Chee go? Was he playing exclusively forward line or also through the midfield?

I'm a big believer in his talent - hoping he can have a good season and start to live up to that - coming up toward his 50th game so should start to see some further development.
Played both midfield and up forward. One of the cleaner, classier players out there with his pickups and disposal. Looks to have put on a bit of beef and appears more assertive, confident. I’ve been a little bit concerned about the pace/zip in our side, but watching Ah Chee, Benny Ainsworth, Powelly, Sexy, and God bless him Izak, then throw in Harbs and Lachie when they return, and we look very nippy especially around the ball / in congestion. Just need some players to win or at least half the inside contests now.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Played both midfield and up forward. One of the cleaner, classier players out there with his pickups and disposal. Looks to have put on a bit of beef and appears more assertive, confident. I’ve been a little bit concerned about the pace/zip in our side, but watching Ah Chee, Benny Ainsworth, Powelly, Sexy, and God bless him Izak, then throw in Harbs and Lachie when they return, and we look very nippy especially around the ball / in congestion. Just need some players to win or at least half the inside contests now.

Throw in Jack Martin, Alex Sexton amongst our pacy players.

Miles, GHS, Brodie, Miller, Swallow, Witts are pretty workmanlike and should be able to give our outside players their fair share of opportunity.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Miles, GHS, Brodie, Miller, Swallow, Witts are pretty workmanlike and should be able to give our outside players their fair share of opportunity.
Add Fiorini and Bowes who spent most time on the ball and looked very good. It was good to see our midfield negating Neale, Lyons, McCluggage, Rayner,... despite Nicholls beaten easily.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Yeah I’m hoping Brodie is in the frame for selection. Don’t know what to make of him only playing the last couple of periods as he was very good when on. Is he currently our second choice as an inside mid? I thought the reason we got rid of Lyons was to give Will more opportunities. Hoping he gets picked for the JLT 26 next week as we start to settle on our best 22.

GCSportsBuzz

Senior List
Oct 23, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Who is the best midfield group? A lot of talk about Fiorini, but I’m not sure he makes my starting group.
On ballers: Miller, Miles, Brodie
Middle line: Swallow, Powell, Martin
Rotate: Ainsworth (forward), Ah Chee (back)

Thoughts?

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Who is the best midfield group? A lot of talk about Fiorini, but I’m not sure he makes my starting group.

Thoughts?

Fiorini definitely in for me.

C Weller Swallow Lukosius
Foll: Miles Brodie Witts
Int: Fiorini Miller Bowes

Ainsworth and Martin split midfield minutes, Ah Chee will run through too. GHS looked good yesterday too.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks

Thoughts?

Fiorini is well ahead of Powell
He was our leading vote getter at the Brownlow last year

I'd have

Followers: Witts, Swallow, Miller
Centre line: Fiorini, Bowes, Ainsworth

Regular Rotation minutes: Brodie (from the bench / forward as a taller target), Miles (from the bench), Martin (forward), Weller (back)
Cameos: Rankine (fwd/centre square), Lukosius (fwd/wing), Sexton (fwd/wing)

Reserves who will play some during the year depending on form / injuries: GHS, Powell, Scheer, Dawson.

Back