No Oppo Supporters The Sun Lounge (Suns posters only)

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
I don't think GHS is a lock for the 22.
Leadership around the club is not only about gamed.

There was never any question about Brayden.
The kid had 32 possessions and 2 goals in his second career game.
He has talent and we'd be silly to not play him

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah I’m hoping Brodie is in the frame for selection. Don’t know what to make of him only playing the last couple of periods as he was very good when on. Is he currently our second choice as an inside mid? I thought the reason we got rid of Lyons was to give Will more opportunities. Hoping he gets picked for the JLT 26 next week as we start to settle on our best 22.
It has to do something with his off season. He probably missed some running? After Lions practice, he was doing extra running with young guys. Half field run, break and repeat. He dropped off the group after 10 meters! Nutting, academy players - who all played the same minutes were flying compared to him. Only Crossley was worse.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Fiorini is well ahead of Powell
He was our leading vote getter at the Brownlow last year

I'd have

Followers: Witts, Swallow, Miller
Centre line: Fiorini, Bowes, Ainsworth

Regular Rotation minutes: Brodie (from the bench / forward as a taller target), Miles (from the bench), Martin (forward), Weller (back)
Cameos: Rankine (fwd/centre square), Lukosius (fwd/wing), Sexton (fwd/wing)

Reserves who will play some during the year depending on form / injuries: GHS, Powell, Scheer, Dawson.
Listening to Weller, he will starter on the wing most probably.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
It has to do something with his off season. He probably missed some running? After Lions practice, he was doing extra running with young guys. Half field run, break and repeat. He dropped off the group after 10 meters! Nutting, academy players - who all played the same minutes were flying compared to him. Only Crossley was worse.
Hmm.. bit concerning. Hopefully he can build into it, but it sounds like he might be starting in the NEAFL again.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Are you guys constantly getting a pop-up virus type message about winning an iPhone or Samsung Phone etc when on BF???
It’s happening regularly for me.

I had that when I was using my phone on safari
No problems on my computer, or on the app.

GCSportsBuzz

Senior List
Oct 23, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think jack bowes and brayden Fiorini maybe dews favourites he seems to mention them a lot in his interviews lol

That’s interesting. I trust Dew though. He knows what sort of players it takes to build strong teams.

I seriously tried to decide on the back 6 last night, and was disagreeing with myself for who to leave out. I literally can’t decide either of the thirds at the moment, lots of great choices. Geez that happened quickly

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Harbrow, Thompson, Murdoch, Hanley, Hombsh - looks to me given at the moment. One spot left undecided me.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
I was pretty disappointed with the midfield on the weekend.
Hopes of competing this year are definitely down.
In saying that - very close number of scoring shots. Sydney just looked in complete control at all times.

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
On my last day at the GC (having coffee at Merlos Ashmore)before heading back to Thailand, I had the misfortune of interacting with an avid Geelong supporter. I was able to bite my tongue, while she lauded the praise on the "Little Master", but also was able to answer her question as to how GC were going, to which I replied, we're so much better off now that he's gone. I never believed that he actually was here to help the Suns, more to help his bottom line. A look of amazement confronted me. How could that be! he's a superstar and the suns shines out of his ar*e
This year we actually have people who want to be here and I believe this year will be a tough one, maybe 5-6 wins, I said. But I honestly believe we'll land a premiership before your mob do. That didn't go over too well with the "entitled " one.

And with that the convo was over......

No more to say, but there's a helluva lot more there, but it's late and the whiskey is kicking in....

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
In saying that - very close number of scoring shots. Sydney just looked in complete control at all times.

Our midfield was the weakest part of our list at the end of last year, and then we cut Lyons and then the top of the last draft was filled with non-mids (especially once BSmith was not available to us). So still the weakest even though we did add some mid depth.

The bottom line is that we just don't have anyone playing like a top 40 or top 50 mid. Every single week the oppo will have 1 or 2 mids that are flat out better than any of our mids atm.

Given that we are not that efficient with the ball yet, and our midfield is not that great yet, and the centre square clearance will lead to more scoring chances this year, I think we were always going to struggle to win many games.

Got to be patient this year, keep rotating the young guys in there and wait for some growth and development from Fiorini, Bowes et al. Hope the top of this draft has some quality mids.

Pretty optimistic about the rest of the list, but can't fix everything in one off-season.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast

No doubt our midfield is our weakest point this season again. But I am a bit more optimistic mainly through internal growth. JLTs don't mean too much, and we did try different things. 2nd half against WB was not bad. A lot of new faces there just starting their midfield career. Boys will learn a lot from the games. It will take at least 5-6 games to gel a bit. Most pleasing for me is that we seems to be able to run out the games. 6 wins for me this year.

Hopefully we show enough promise to attract a good upcoming midfielder. Like Blakely - I believe one of Weller's buddies at Freo.

Last edited:

Sunraysia

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast
No doubt our midfield is our weakest point this season again. But I am a bit more optimistic mainly through internal growth. JLTs don't mean too much, and we did try different things. 2nd half against WB was not bad. A lot of new faces there just starting their midfield career. Boys will learn a lot from the games. It will take at least 5-6 games to gel a bit. Most pleasing for me is that we seems to be able to run out the games. 6 wins for me this year.

Hopefully we show enough promise to attract a good upcoming midfielder. Like Blakely - I believe one of Weller's buddies at Freo.
Makes sense...didn't he get a club suspension after reporting in sick and being caught having a Surf...?
Plenty of Surf available up here !

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks

Think this is a major disadvantage for us.
With the runner hardly allowed on the ground this year some more established teams using their senior midfield leaders on the wing that is closest to the bench so they can act as a pseudo-runner and pass on important messages from coaching staff and act as onfield coaches.

With our inexperience in the midfield it will make things difficult. Perhaps swallow on the wing, Fiorini a young leader probably plays his best footy out there in any case.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
The Titans look absolutely awful this year
So if The Suns could have a relatively half decent season there’s an opportunity there to make huge community inroads in relevance and popularity

I don’t follow the league so this is purely out of ignorance - just from snippets on the news or chatting with others but seems like the titans have never been good.
When did they last make the finals?

Back