No Oppo Supporters The Sun Lounge (Suns posters only)

Remove this Banner Ad

If you had told me at the start of the season that a journo would write this comment about us "They play a tough, contested brand of footy that is difficult to score against", then i would have said your dreaming! Glad we are finally getting some recognition of the massive improvements we have made even if the win column hasn't been going up. If we can keep this up for the rest of the year then next year should see us fly up the ladder after another pre-season into the legs.

From : https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-26/nine-things-we-learned-from-round-10

I think the aim this year was for improvement, and that has come in buckets. Once you have that, the W/L ratio will improve.

NEAFL watchers, I’m interested in any feedback on Connor Nutting. He looked promising in the JLT games and I noticed he was listed as an emergency, which says to me he’s getting close to a game. Anyone seen any of him this season?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

NEAFL watchers, I’m interested in any feedback on Connor Nutting. He looked promising in the JLT games and I noticed he was listed as an emergency, which says to me he’s getting close to a game. Anyone seen any of him this season?

My assessment - good athletic abilities. Definitely AFL capable from that perspective. Fast.

A bit of a headless chook sometimes out there
Doesn’t seem to know where to run.
Athlete not footballer in my eyes.

Yeah, I don't think you realize how much free kicks or if you don't get enough than you realize. Even when I'm at games watching the pies, even though the stats show, I don't realize how much we get, yet it still doesn't feel like enough. One thing I know we barely get is 50's.

Nobody is sad to see that Carlton stat lol

Wasn’t there a game a couple of weeks ago where they gave us a heap of frees in the last half? Also there was a similar list of players who received and gave away free kicks miles made it to the received list

Against Brisbane that happened
They umpired us out of the game and gave us a glut of late ones when it was all over

Wasn’t there a game a couple of weeks ago where they gave us a heap of frees in the last half? Also there was a similar list of players who received and gave away free kicks miles made it to the received list
Free for
Witts #13 in the league with 20
Miles #14 with 19
Martin #23 with 17
Wright #45 with 14

Frees against
Swallow #18 with 17
Martin #32 with 16

* And for Bods
Lynch just made the top 100 for free for
He’s #91 with only 12 free kicks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if this is the right thread to put this in but watching State of Origin last night and seeing the athleticism some of the Queensland players possess (particularly those from our academy zone) really made me wonder about the kind of talent we're missing out on by not having a stronger presence up north. Let's just look at three Mackay players because they would have been in our academy zone had they grown up playing Aussie rules:

Kalyn Ponga - 184cms, 92kgs
Daly Cherry-Evans - 183cms, 85kgs
Dane Gagai - 182cms, 92kgs

Although Ponga and Gagai are heavier than you'd like them to be as Aussie rules players, all three of those guys have modern AFL physiques (lean and muscular), are quick and can kick. Ponga was reportedly a bit of a superstar when the Brisbane Lions placed him in their academy in his teenage years but he never ended up pursuing footy unfortunately. Then I look at another talent from up north in Charlie Cameron who also would have been lost to the game had his family not moved to Western Australia in his late teens and it just further reinforces the untapped talent in our zone.

So the real question is: how do we attract these super talented athletes from north/central QLD to our game and keep them? That is the biggest challenge we face in terms of our academy. Cairns has a decent local history of Australian rules football and will continue to churn out a few players for us every few years but ideally we'd be getting more out of other regions like Townsville, Mackay, Mount Isa, The Cape/Torres Strait Islands and the Carpentaria region.

Food for thought.

I see where you're coming from but despite the numbers in South East Queensland rapidly shifting towards Aussie Rules. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

The more regional areas are going to be staunchly rugby league for the foreseeable future, We're already sending games up that way but it's going to be an even longer slog than what we're facing at home.

I would imagine Sydney would be similar but even worse due to the deep NSWRL roots, You may see a little bit of change closer to the city but areas such as the Illawarra are rugby to the bone and always will be.

Albury and Broken Hill don't count because of thier proximity to the Vic/SA borders respectively.

That said I'd of love to have those boys listed, If nothing else than to stop causing me misery every year. 😒

Ponga was at churchie for high school - presumably on a scholarship. Was a rugby union star in his time there.

Pretty sure they would have had an AFL side at the time but unsure if he played afl at school.

I see where you're coming from but despite the numbers in South East Queensland rapidly shifting towards Aussie Rules. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

The more regional areas are going to be staunchly rugby league for the foreseeable future, We're already sending games up that way but it's going to be an even longer slog than what we're facing at home.

I would imagine Sydney would be similar but even worse due to the deep NSWRL roots, You may see a little bit of change closer to the city but areas such as the Illawarra are rugby to the bone and always will be.

Albury and Broken Hill don't count because of thier proximity to the Vic/SA borders respectively.

That said I'd of love to have those boys listed, If nothing else than to stop causing me misery every year. 😒
Sydney is a tough nut to crack but the Swans do have the advantage of being accepted as an authentic Sydney-based club now given they have been in the region for multiple decades and have had a fair amount of success over their time. Most Sydneysiders will default to being a Swans supporter, even if they don't really like Aussie rules. That definitely helps their cause but we're seeing a trend of AFL players come from the more affluent areas of Sydney like the eastern suburbs and the North Shore (Callum Mills, Jarrod Witts, Nick Blakey) which makes sense given rugby league is a working class game and will long have a stronghold over the western suburbs of Sydney. If anything, the Swans biggest competition for players in those areas is actually rugby union and we know both Mills and Witts grew up playing union but were swayed back into Aussie rules as teenagers.

It'd be nice if Mount Isa was heavily influenced by the NT in the same way Albury and Broken Hill are influenced by Victoria and South Australia but my understanding is the Mount Isa is very much a rugby league town. Our entire academy zone is based in regional areas and most of the cities are rugby league strongholds so we need to find a way to create a pathway into Aussie rules that kids would prefer over the traditional rugby league pathways. One advantage we do have is the rising popularity of basketball. Convincing basketball players to play Aussie rules is definitely an easier sell than those who are already playing rugby league in the winter months and we've seen this in action recently with Alex Davies from Cairns.

We have to do better though. We're missing out on a lot of talent from our academy zone.

Ponga was at churchie for high school - presumably on a scholarship. Was a rugby union star in his time there.

Pretty sure they would have had an AFL side at the time but unsure if he played afl at school.
Ponga did play union for Churchie but he was also a part of the Brisbane Lions academy and trained with them one day a week in his high school years. He even played a game for their academy! The Lions tried really hard to convince him to stay in Aussie rules but he chose to join the Cowboys instead. Then the Lions got even closer to signing him in 2016 but the Cowboys decided to give him two first grade games in the backend of that year and that sealed Ponga's fate. It's a shame because he is obviously an extremely talented athlete and was reportedly a very capable midfielder in Aussie rules.

Watching how good the Cats are playing makes me impressed with how we matched them up until 3 qtr time a few weeks ago. Definitely goods signs going forward
Playing at home was a factor when we faced them but we definitely played really well for three quarters of that game. I dare say if Collins had played on Hawkins then we probably would have won that game. We're definitely a much better team at home this year though.

If you re-did the 2014 draft where would 2MP 8 ,Corey Ellis 12 ,Weller 13 and Touk Miller 29 be taken?
Miller definitely higher-has played more games than anyone from that draft other than Isaac Heeney
Ellis lower
Weller and Wright probably on par
The steals were Caleb Daniel and Harris Andrews big time

Whatever happened to GCSunsFan?? Him and 17er were a treasure trove of information and sadly they were both at each other regularly (which I found to be great entertainment) and now both are gone.

One is still here under an alternate account (I believe) the other got the boot a while ago. I don't know any more than that and if they want to reveal who they are that's up to them to do.

Whatever happened to GCSunsFan?? Him and 17er were a treasure trove of information and sadly they were both at each other regularly (which I found to be great entertainment) and now both are gone.
Maybe third coming or End of the days.

Just heard Lin Jong has taken time away from the game for mental health reasons
Tom Boyd
Jack Steven
Matthew Broadbent

Glad we've invested into player welfare.
Can only hope our players are happy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back