No Oppo Supporters The Sun Lounge (Suns posters only)

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
This is going to sound real petulant and making it all about me but I think I am going to take a break from footy and go full detox for a while. Maybe to the end of the season.

While the lads throwing away another 31 point lead against St Kilda doesn't help just sick of the way the game is being run at the moment. It really doesn't feel like the same game I watched growing up and how all the off field stuff is just ruining it for me and I'm just not enjoying it at the moment.

I'll probably be back at some point and I'll come check in from time to time. But if I don't. I don't really know any of you lads and ladies well, but you have always been great to discuss footy with. Good luck to the Suns for the rest of the season, get a few big wins for Stewy.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
This is going to sound real petulant and making it all about me but I think I am going to take a break from footy and go full detox for a while. Maybe to the end of the season.

While the lads throwing away another 31 point lead against St Kilda doesn't help just sick of the way the game is being run at the moment. It really doesn't feel like the same game I watched growing up and how all the off field stuff is just ruining it for me and I'm just not enjoying it at the moment.

I'll probably be back at some point and I'll come check in from time to time. But if I don't. I don't really know any of you lads and ladies well, but you have always been great to discuss footy with. Good luck to the Suns for the rest of the season, get a few big wins for Stewy.

Yeah I just get the joys out of the little things
Ah Chee's performance, Ben King signs etc..
Overall it's not that fun watching our team. Will definitely stick with it though - good times just around the corner!

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah I just get the joys out of the little things
Ah Chee's performance, Ben King signs etc..
Overall it's not that fun watching our team. Will definitely stick with it though - good times just around the corner!
There’s real joy watching a list develop from cellar dweller into a contender and then champion. I did it with the Bears / Lions and although the Suns seem to be taking even longer, there will be the same pride and satisfaction when we finally crack it. Have to stick with them.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Max King has injured his knee - same one that needed a reconstruction.
No word on degree of damage yet.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Max King has injured his knee - same one that needed a reconstruction.
No word on degree of damage yet.
Terrible news. I hope he escaped. Unfortunately, there is a high probability he will do ACL again according to a doctor who operates ACLs as he did first one before 18 years old.

Not ACL after initial scans.

Last edited:

Corkie

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast United
There’s real joy watching a list develop from cellar dweller into a contender and then champion. I did it with the Bears / Lions and although the Suns seem to be taking even longer, there will be the same pride and satisfaction when we finally crack it. Have to stick with them.

I still believe we are approximately 12-months behind the Lions rebuild phase.

The cleaning out of the lists, influx on quality kids, change of coaching staff, trade in a quality A grade mid (Neale) - they completed this a year before us and we are following suit. Presumably directives from the AFL.

For us to keep pace with this though, requires us to pick up an A-grade match winning midfielder this trades period and an injection of experienced ex-AFL players - not necessarily playing like Hodge - but of similar character offield to provide experienced guidance - and maybe be the reason we are chasing Roughy.

If everything continues to build, and we keep our talented kids - I think we push the 8 next season.

Attracting the A grade mid however will be a challenge.

Feb 27, 2005
Port Augusta
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
QPR
Attracting the A grade mid however will be a challenge.
I don’t know...
Whilst he didn’t say in those words, from my chat with Mark Evans I got the vibe that something was already in the works .
Admittedly 12 months between said chat and the next trade period, lots could happen in that time.
The salary cap dump was done for a reason and I don’t believe it was purely for retention of our current players.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I don’t know...
Whilst he didn’t say in those words, from my chat with Mark Evans I got the vibe that something was already in the works .
Admittedly 12 months between said chat and the next trade period, lots could happen in that time.
The salary cap dump was done for a reason and I don’t believe it was purely for retention of our current players.
Question is did we show enough promise? If we don't win another game I have serious doubt we can convince someone like Blakely, Langdon to join us. That's why is so frustrating we did not get over the line against North and Melbourne. I think we will be able to run out the games but we need better run with injuries for the remaining 9 games. If not - no more wins, wooden spoon waiting for us, no quality players coming.

Last edited:

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Terrible news. I hope he escaped. Unfortunately, there is a high probability he will do ACL again according to a doctor who operates ACLs as he did first one before 18 years old.

Not ACL after initial scans.
Apparently no structural damage.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
My opinion, this years Suns team looks much more like the Lions 2016 team.

You’re more than a year behind us. You’re also coming from further back unfortunately, due to the number of quality players you’ve lost over the past couple of years.

You simply don’t have the depth in your squad to cover for injuries to your best 22. We didn’t either in 2016 or 2017. Even now, we barely have the depth to cover for injuries to our best midfield players.

My biggest hope for the Suns is that your kids all sign on for the long hall.
This is probably for the six times you come to Suns forum and tell us that Suns are several years behind Lions. Once of twice would be enough for me.

It is the fact (not excuse) that Suns had 15 players on the injury list the last game (8-10 best 22 missing, 6 top 10, 2 best defenders). Lions would struggle big way this year with a similar injury list. Basically only Collingwood can deal with this amount of injuries. Several years behind? Suns are 3-10 compared to last year Lions who were 1-11 and were missing nobody for the first half of the season and then just 1-3 best 22.

One extra year into 1-4 years players will make huge difference for Suns in 2020, and who knows may be the injury list will swap. Fiorini, Bowes, Ainsworth, Macpherson will be ready for full time midfield job besides Miller, Swallow. The only issue for me at the moment besides reasons behind extensive injury list is will Suns show enough promise for the rest of season to attract 1-2 quality player which would speed up the team progress.

I don't want to go too much into analysis of Lions team but a lot of Lions fans are jumping ahead of themselves mainly due to minimal injury list resulting in a stability of the best 22. You are 2-3 injuries to better players to fall off significantly. I bet Berry would be handy against Carlton. It can change quickly. Lions also don't play as many young players as generally is believed. Usually Lions average age is 25 years compared to Suns 23 years 4-7 months last 5 rounds. Not surprisingly, early in the season Suns fielded 24 years old teams.

Last edited:
My opinion, this years Suns team looks much more like the Lions 2016 team.

You’re more than a year behind us. You’re also coming from further back unfortunately, due to the number of quality players you’ve lost over the past couple of years.

You simply don’t have the depth in your squad to cover for injuries to your best 22. We didn’t either in 2016 or 2017. Even now, we barely have the depth to cover for injuries to our best midfield players.

My biggest hope for the Suns is that your kids all sign on for the long hall.

You're lucky we lost to the Saints on the weekend given you have them up next and you seem to lose to all of the teams (albeit only 3) that we have won against this year. Given the injuries we have and the amount of close games we have won or lost by, I don't think we are too far behind.

Seventeener

Debutant
Jun 16, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
You're lucky we lost to the Saints on the weekend given you have them up next and you seem to lose to all of the teams (albeit only 3) that we have won against this year. Given the injuries we have and the amount of close games we have won or lost by, I don't think we are too far behind.
Astute observation there, although I think St Kilda will fancy themselves to win at Marvel. Lions remind me of last year's Melbourne side, which had the ability and injury luck to go deep into finals, but were found out in the Preliminary Final and did not come back from a short offseason in shape or form. There is also a difference in how the Suns and Lions treat injuries. Many Lions players will play through injury because it is a part of AFL life to have niggles and even quite serious degradation to tendons and ligaments that can be played through and managed until season's end (look at Melbourne at the end of 2018). However, with the Suns younger players there always seems to be a very cautious approach, injuries are allowed extra time to heal, comebacks are usually through the NEAFL on managed time and players are put through a preventative regime so that they don't re-injure or risk further injury to players who might otherwise have come back in the 2nd half of the season. Jack Martin was shut down last year after a training mishap. Brayden Fiorini has played half the footy he might have if not for careful injury management.

That isn't to say that the Lions haven't got a good injury management program because they obviously do or they wouldn't be winning so much. However, it is different to the Suns and I suspect the reason is that so many of the Suns injuries over the past few years have been to younger players.

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Lachie Weller top 3 in the league for rebound 50's by average. 7.4 a game.
Champion Data ratings also have him averaging 94 points per game up from 70 odd his previous best. 23 disposals a game up from 19.
The media caned us over that trade, yet I haven't heard too much this season from them.
I'd do that trade again.

GCSportsBuzz

Senior List
Oct 23, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Champion Data ratings also have him averaging 94 points per game up from 70 odd his previous best. 23 disposals a game up from 19.
The media caned us over that trade, yet I haven't heard too much this season from them.
I'd do that trade again.

Really good comment. He’s also high up in metres gained. I was supportive of the deal, I rate known talent over draftees, even if the talent isn’t fully exposed. But I was critical of his start to the year, but then you look at his stats and they are quite elite. Plus, he will become more obvious to everyone else once the other players around him elevate their level. Big fan now, a mainstay. Plus may bring a player or two with him (Langdon crosses fingers)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'd do that trade again.
No doubt and he is still improving. Once we get better and start winning he could be actually a star.

Seventeener

Debutant
Jun 16, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'd do that trade again.
Since his haircut he’s gone a bit under the radar with commentators. We missed him when he was injured, then he’s had to come back to a B-grade backline and he’s starring.
Weller + Ballard over Davies-Unitard any of the week. In fact, Weller is looking worth Pick #2 on its own.

Seventeener

Debutant
Jun 16, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Anybody have any word on Lukosius? I heard some whispers that he’s already keen to go home. Any truth?

Nothing yay or nay. Reported to be good mates with Ben King, with both King and Rankine close to extending along with Luko. The inside word from families is that all recent draftees are settled and content. Any other rumours are just Port and Crows fans getting unicorn fantasies.

GCSportsBuzz

Senior List
Oct 23, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Nothing yay or nay. Reported to be good mates with Ben King, with both King and Rankine close to extending along with Luko. The inside word from families is that all recent draftees are settled and content. Any other rumours are just Port and Crows fans getting unicorn fantasies.

Ok good to hear. Gary Lyon used Lukosius specifically as his example for a conversation around draftees having longer initial contracts. Hopefully Adelaide talk only. I say extend all 5 of last year draftees.

Jul 28, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If he is throwing his toys out already and wants to go home this is the year to hold Adelaide to ransom and demand pick 1-2 they get from Carlton so we can get Rowell and Anderson combo to give our midfield 2 probable A graders who will stick around if they are together.

Luko is probably the one of our top 3 picks from last year which we could afford to loose and wouldn’t be as bad as loosing king and rankine imo.

Seventeener

Debutant
Jun 16, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If he is throwing his toys out already and wants to go home this is the year to hold Adelaide to ransom and demand pick 1-2 they get from Carlton so we can get Rowell and Anderson combo to give our midfield 2 probable A graders who will stick around if they are together.

Luko is probably the one of our top 3 picks from last year which we could afford to loose and wouldn’t be as bad as loosing king and rankine imo.

Interesting theory. Make it interesting and bundle Jack Lukosius with Charlie Ballard for pick #1 and Elliott Himmelburg. Sending 2 South Australians home in return for bagging Carlton's pick and bringing home a Queenslander.

Back