No Oppo Supporters The Sun Lounge (Suns posters only)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 28, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Personally I wouldn’t be letting Ballard go anywhere, he’s one I think we need to hold onto. He’s one of the only players we have with a bit of Mongrel about him and reminds me of a younger James Sicily just before he turned into a star. I don’t think we need himmleberg if we hold onto King and he keeps blossoming :)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Seventeener

Debutant
Jun 16, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Personally I wouldn’t be letting Ballard go anywhere, he’s one I think we need to hold onto. He’s one of the only players we have with a bit of Mongrel about him and reminds me of a younger James Sicily just before he turned into a star. I don’t think we need himmleberg if we hold onto King and he keeps blossoming :)
Himmelberg is a 198cm ruck forward from Redlands. He'd have to be on the radar of the Suns and he'd definitely have the QLD clubs in his future thoughts. I'm a massive Ballard fan, so I'm just suggesting him as ballast rather than any desire to see him gone.

I just wonder how much value a #2 pick retains after a year. The only high profile player I can remember who demanded to be traded after a year was FIGJAM Buckley and his value went from pick #1 to pick #12 plus two players, Craig Starcevich (20 games for the Bears) who is the Lions AFLW Coach and was a fitness trainer for them during their premiership years, and Troy Lehmann (13 games). It is arguable as to who won the trade in the end as Scott's Lions defeated Buckley's Magpies in the 2002 GF, but most people would agree that Collingwood got the better of the deal.

Jul 28, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Himmelberg is a 198cm ruck forward from Redlands. He'd have to be on the radar of the Suns and he'd definitely have the QLD clubs in his future thoughts. I'm a massive Ballard fan, so I'm just suggesting him as ballast rather than any desire to see him gone.

I just wonder how much value a #2 pick retains after a year. The only high profile player I can remember who demanded to be traded after a year was FIGJAM Buckley and his value went from pick #1 to pick #12 plus two players, Craig Starcevich (20 games for the Bears) who is the Lions AFLW Coach and was a fitness trainer for them during their premiership years, and Troy Lehmann (13 games). It is arguable as to who won the trade in the end as Scott's Lions defeated Buckley's Magpies in the 2002 GF, but most people would agree that Collingwood got the better of the deal.

I think to get the pick 1-2 from Adelaide we would have to give luko and some sort of steak knives. But if he does want to go home due to Adelaide grooming him for a homecoming surely we would hold all the cards in relation to a trade.

Seventeener

Debutant
Jun 16, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think to get the pick 1-2 from Adelaide we would have to give luko and some sort of steak knives. But if he does want to go home due to Adelaide grooming him for a homecoming surely we would hold all the cards in relation to a trade.
Josh Schache trade is almost identical, except he was at the Lions for 2 years and had 27 games to his resume as well as some truly miserable performances in the NEAFL. The former pick #2 was traded for picks #25 and #40, which the Lions turned into 2.4 players, trading #25 with #20 for #15, Zac Bailey, and #52, then picking Toby Wooler and Jack Payne. So far an almost identical return in terms of games, but the Lions appear to have the greater potential as Schache has arguably regressed.

It doesn't fill me with confidence that the Suns have the upper hand.

Seventeener

Debutant
Jun 16, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So much more entertainment around here with 17er back
It is the Bye week. Shane has pink eye. Even the players' Mums on Facebook aren't interacting and Facebook's algorithm is being a pain in the butt by not giving our Page a wide circulation without being paid. I'll probably get bored when normal service resumes.

Seventeener

Debutant
Jun 16, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Makes for interesting reading. Peter Wright is top 2 in the team for goals, marks and contested marks, which if you add hit-outs has been a very productive season, yet people have called for him to be dropped. Jack Martin top 5 for tackles, marks and disposals, yet cops plenty of criticism. Fiorini must be the clubhouse leader for B&F, although Swallow would be pretty close behind.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Makes for interesting reading. Peter Wright is top 2 in the team for goals, marks and contested marks, which if you add hit-outs has been a very productive season, yet people have called for him to be dropped. Jack Martin top 5 for tackles, marks and disposals, yet cops plenty of criticism. Fiorini must be the clubhouse leader for B&F, although Swallow would be pretty close behind.

Martin is leading tackler pretty much every game
It makes me wonder what the statisticians define in AFL as a tackle

Seventeener

Debutant
Jun 16, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Martin is leading tackler pretty much every game
It makes me wonder what the statisticians define in AFL as a tackle
Jack Martin is having a career year in disposals - up to 20 from 16 - his tackling has improved every year except 2017. His rate of contested possession is up to almost 50% this year, which is David Swallow level and borderline elite. However, his disposal efficiency is down from 71% to 59%, kicking for goal almost at Sean Lemmens level and rate of clangers is off the charts, all of which suggests that there is a game within a game going on in his head. It's time to send him up to the forward line and forget this midfield caper.

The direct answer to the question is that the term is very loose compared to Rugby League. Not Jack though because he's in the guts wrapping up the ball carriers, causing stoppages which are to our advantage because Witts is a beast.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I’m just noticing that the “ha ha” emoji is being used by some as a put down to be nasty towards board members.
There’s no surprises either as to who are the ones doing it.

For the record I see it as a pretty nasty and low act of the keyboard warrior type of mentality.

It hasn’t happened to me yet so I’m not saying it because it’s happened to me.

If you are using the “Ha Ha” emoji to laugh at and not with someone then pull your head in, you wouldn’t do it at at the pub as you would get your head knocked out and rightly so.

Seventeener

Debutant
Jun 16, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I’m just noticing that the “ha ha” emoji is being used by some as a put down to be nasty towards board members.
There’s no surprises either as to who are the ones doing it.

For the record I see it as a pretty nasty and low act of the keyboard warrior type of mentality.

It hasn’t happened to me yet so I’m not saying it because it’s happened to me.

If you are using the “Ha Ha” emoji to laugh at and not with someone then pull your head in, you wouldn’t do it at at the pub as you would get your head knocked out and rightly so.
I think you're putting too much thought into it. Emojis are designed to give users and recipients an endorphin hit, so any kind of reaction still gives the recipients a little hit. You're right in that it is a form of cyber bullying, but it isn't always as clear cut as you might be interpreting it. Take my interactions with Peel, for example. Is he an ally or an enemy? Am I for or against his tactics? Truth is, all of those things are accurate at some point, but as an observer, you can't possibly know the intention of an emoji. No more than you can tell when he's "stroking my ego" or genuinely agrees with my statement. It is all part of the anonymous "keyboard warrior" avatar that each user deploys to impact the forum. By now everybody knows who you and I are in real life, but most users here prefer anonymity because who they really are could potentially colour the way people read their messages.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think you're putting too much thought into it. Emojis are designed to give users and recipients an endorphin hit, so any kind of reaction still gives the recipients a little hit. You're right in that it is a form of cyber bullying, but it isn't always as clear cut as you might be interpreting it. Take my interactions with Peel, for example. Is he an ally or an enemy? Am I for or against his tactics? Truth is, all of those things are accurate at some point, but as an observer, you can't possibly know the intention of an emoji. No more than you can tell when he's "stroking my ego" or genuinely agrees with my statement. It is all part of the anonymous "keyboard warrior" avatar that each user deploys to impact the forum. By now everybody knows who you and I are in real life, but most users here prefer anonymity because who they really are could potentially colour the way people read their messages.
Bodsy still hasn't come up for air since The Sunday Night at Perth Optus Massacre
He's seeing landmines everywhere

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I used to like emoji a lot then I realise is pretty passive aggresive style of doing thing, as for using hahaha, I just used it as an example that If you treat me not a human, I can duplicate main board human behaviour back to anybody. If you talk nicely and disagree nobody going to reply with in aggresive behaviour back . An eye for an eye.

Seventeener

Debutant
Jun 16, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Bodsy still hasn't come up for air since The Sunday Night at Perth Optus Massacre
He's seeing landmines everywhere
Nah, Origin games played outside the borders of QLD and NSW are just exhibition matches and don't count. Been that way since 1984.

Seventeener

Debutant
Jun 16, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Ha ha I’m actually from The Tweed and am a Blue.
Sunday night was glorious.
My family is from either side of the Tweed. Like literally brothers and sisters supporting different teams. My Dad lives in Queensland, goes for the Blues despite never living there, but he played for Seagulls so he was notionally a Blue and his favourite NRL team is the Melbourne Storm. My brother was born on Queensland Day in Murwillumbah, my sister was born in Southport, but did her entire 13 years of school in NSW.

Even the Titans are technically from the Tweed as the franchise was originally licensed by the NSWRL.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
My family is from either side of the Tweed. Like literally brothers and sisters supporting different teams. My Dad lives in Queensland, goes for the Blues despite never living there, but he played for Seagulls so he was notionally a Blue and his favourite NRL team is the Melbourne Storm. My brother was born on Queensland Day in Murwillumbah, my sister was born in Southport, but did her entire 13 years of school in NSW.

Even the Titans are technically from the Tweed as the franchise was originally licensed by the NSWRL.

Yeah the first team was called the Gold Coast-Tweed Giants

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Ha ha I’m actually from The Tweed and am a Blue.
Sunday night was glorious.
Boddsy needed a scotch and modern problems require modern solutions :D

Being from the deep south there's no question about things, Although I suspect we're quite outnumbered in this endeavour.

Seventeener

Debutant
Jun 16, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah the first team was called the Gold Coast-Tweed Giants
I remember it well. Changed back to the Seagulls pretty quickly. I went down to watch them a few times just to see the King. Old, fat, running on one leg and spending half the game on the bench, he was still the best player on the field when he had the ball in his hands. Not much chop as a coach though. There was that year when he coached the Seagulls to 2 wins, 20 losses and also coached Queensland to a 3 nil defeat. No coach has ever coached 23 losses in a season since. Roy and HG started calling the Maroons the Seagulls instead. Sad end for the King.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I remember it well. Changed back to the Seagulls pretty quickly. I went down to watch them a few times just to see the King. Old, fat, running on one leg and spending half the game on the bench, he was still the best player on the field when he had the ball in his hands. Not much chop as a coach though. There was that year when he coached the Seagulls to 2 wins, 20 losses and also coached Queensland to a 3 nil defeat. No coach has ever coached 23 losses in a season since. Roy and HG started calling the Maroons the Seagulls instead. Sad end for the King.
The brilliant naturally gifted players rarely make great coaches
The great ones know how much hard work it takes to play 100 games of AFL or NRL or A-League etc

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
So there’s a weird thing going on with my Big Footy account right now
Apparently you can anonymously like posts and a poster only identified as “someone” has been going through my back catalogue so to speak as far back as 2011 liking random posts Big Red Machine SUNS Chief
I’m the first to admit I’m a quality poster and recognition of my talent is appropriate
But an anonymous poster liking 50 odd posts from the last 10 years in the past week has creepiness in abundance
Anyone else getting stalky love???

I like it , I like it aloooooooooot

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
I was pondering player losses and retention over the past weeks and have come to the conclusion that the Suns have been absolutely dismal in the area of player negotiation and maximizing value for trades.
We have lost many of our best and potentially valuable young players over the past years and I am really hoping someone out there with better access to figures and history might be able to help.
Almost every other AFL club has benefited by our lack of ability and hardness in negotiating and this has to stop.
Let’s take a look at the bigger losses we’ve had.

HAWTHORN:
Jaeger O’Meara – traded dismally – who did we get for him – a player that would now sit in the top 10 of the Hawks rebuild.
PORT:
Charlie Dixon – I know he wasn’t exactly a role model but we traded him for who? Now is the central big body in the Power’s forward set up, when not injured.
RICHMOND:
Prestia – not a team player for us but we should have negotiated better – who did we get?
Tom Lynch – OK, the AFL gave us Pick 3 but who did we get from Richmond.
FREMANTLE:
Harley Bennell – at the time had a massive upside but hasn’t happened. That’s not our fault so who did we get in return?
ESSENDON:
Adam Saad – the key to the Bomber’s attacking thrusts from half back. Gave him away for peanuts – who did we get?
GEELONG:
Gary Ablett – Currently considered a chance for All Australian and Brownlow! Who did we get in return for one of the best players of all time?
Caddy – too long ago and hadn’t really shown his worth but what did we get for him
Zac Smith – Hasn’t performed but at time was considered a potential top ruckman. Who did we get?
NORTH MELBOURNE:
Aaron Hall - Not sorry to see him go but did we get anything or anyone worthwhile for him?
BRISBANE:
Jarryd Lyons – Did we get a trade pick or player? Gave him away too quickly and for what gained?
MELBOURNE:
Stephen May – Not sorry to see the end of him either but did we gain or lose from the deal?
WEST COAST:
Matera – Currently an early pick in their team selection and even made the State of Origin ‘phantom’s team in the last few days. Who did we get for him?
There’s probably a few I’ve missed but these would be the ones that got away.
Scrimsook for the Prestia pick, f@rken genius decision

Remove this Banner Ad

Back