No Oppo Supporters The Sun Lounge (Suns posters only)

Happy Idiot

All Australian
Oct 12, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Unfortunately if you used this philosophy with all your abusive posting you would still be here. This post just goes to show the type of person you really are. Disappointing considering the amount of times I have fought for you and had your back on here.
The whole 'I'm being bullied' narrative, while simultaneously doing the bullying/abuse blew me away everytime he said it. Can't work out that mindset for the life of me.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Well, I called him out on it last week when he was still on here — it's not my fault he can't respond now.

You should have just left it there when his account got closed. I’m having a good old laugh at those who are hitting the like buttons getting their jollies off by the way at the posts related to 17er having his account closed.

Character revealed again perfectly.

I don’t put you by the way HI or SUNS in that category it’s the ones hitting the like button.

Anyway, you can all pile in on me and/or Peel now.

Start reporting. Hit the report button. That’s the way. Sook it up.

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Unfortunately if you used this philosophy with all your abusive posting you would still be here. This post just goes to show the type of person you really are. Disappointing considering the amount of times I have fought for you and had your back on here.
Never had an issue with 17er. Sure he could be caustic and a pain in the arse occasionally BUT he was one of a handful who had information, well thought out observations to make (not always right) and knowledge to impart. His posts were generally informative and if he was positive and confident then so be it. His opinions did not always agree with mine and he remains one of the more positive Suns supporters on here. Mr Bods is another who isn't afraid to make a point and we need these types of people to spar off against others with more conservative voices. Me I'm still living in hope that this team will actually amount to something in the years to come but it's getting harder every year to have confidence. Some of the young kids are not up to scratch and time we started being a little more critical of some pathetic efforts by a few of the current crop.....and the nervousness in my stomach would settle fast if Luko, King and Rankine would extend. Each week goes by and we hear nothing and we all know that with silence often comes a surprise. Thanks for the words 17er and hope to see you back one day.

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I love this stuff because I can never track it and who does summaries like these?
Ever?
Thanks Seventeener :thumbsu:
Like the way 17er responded to my old post but still maintain that 'like for like' we have missed out in a big way. Every game I watch, each team seems to have one of the guys who wanted out and most are playing well in bigger and stronger clubs - Hall and Bennell the exceptions. Time will tell and how we deal with Martin if he goes will be the first test of our new skills in trading! I get the feeling there will be more blood on the floor at the end of this year and just hope we can keep Luko, King and Rankine. Fingers crossed.

GCStormie

Team Captain
Aug 29, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
WCE, Renault F1, Scorchers
My youngest (9) today said he is getting sick of watching the suns lose when i told him we had a game this saturday to go to. Says he prefers to watch the eagles and nic nat :'(
First time he has ever said such a thing
Hey there's nothing wrong with that. shall I send him a beanie :p

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So there I was sitting around with my wife (who has been a long and loyal suffering Lions supporter) and were discussing current team lists - best 22 etc for both the Suns and Lions. She came up with the statement that line for line there wouldn't be a Suns player that would force out one Lions player from their team. I was initially surprised but then started going over our players against theirs. Witts for Stefan Martin? No definite but given age of Martin, it's one possibility). Day for McInerney is also only a maybe and then I struggled. Would love to hear if there are any I've missed and please look at this from a non biased supporter. I believe it shows just how weak we are across the field when compared player for player with other teams. Bowes, Weller and Fiorini for example would be good fringe/outside players in other teams adding supporting to their more dominant ones, but with us, they are expected to be match winners. Highlights the desperate need for experienced and bigger bodies. Looking forward to some constructive comment and please show my wife she's wrong - it's getting one sided around the house!

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So there I was sitting around with my wife (who has been a long and loyal suffering Lions supporter) and were discussing current team lists - best 22 etc for both the Suns and Lions. She came up with the statement that line for line there wouldn't be a Suns player that would force out one Lions player from their team. I was initially surprised but then started going over our players against theirs. Witts for Stefan Martin? No definite but given age of Martin, it's one possibility). Day for McInerney is also only a maybe and then I struggled. Would love to hear if there are any I've missed and please look at this from a non biased supporter. I believe it shows just how weak we are across the field when compared player for player with other teams. Bowes, Weller and Fiorini for example would be good fringe/outside players in other teams adding supporting to their more dominant ones, but with us, they are expected to be match winners. Highlights the desperate need for experienced and bigger bodies. Looking forward to some constructive comment and please show my wife she's wrong - it's getting one sided around the house!
Lions have a dream run this year. This week they have I believe only one injury for the whole list in Cutler and he should be fit next week. Minimal injuries for the last 3 years allowed them to build consistency, synergy and this year as wins comes confidence is building up and even some average players who Lions supporters bagged to be dropped 1-2 years ago look good. The game against GWS this Sunday will tell us more about where Lions stand but I am starting to believe as it sound a bit crazy they do can end up in the top 4 and they have a chance to win it all like WB 3 years ago.

To compare the list - I need more time :) but your choice Day over McInerney - equal at best for me. Big O would kill Day in the ruck and moving forward not too much difference between them as BigO marks better already.

It must be tough for you talking footy with your wife. Good for her to enjoy Lions rise, she suffered many, many years.

Brenton87

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
My 8 year old has said the same a couple of months ago. He is now an eagles supporter because he was sick of all the inconsistency and losing from the Suns. It's shame but i don't blame him it's very frustrating.
My youngest (9) today said he is getting sick of watching the suns lose when i told him we had a game this saturday to go to. Says he prefers to watch the eagles and nic nat :'(
First time he has ever said such a thing

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I watch Lions every game. Considering all players healthy, in form and up and running below are Suns players which I can see to slot into Lions lineup. Of course it depends on who are the best 22, positions players play and I am biased towards Suns.

I actually like both our defence and forward line. We still got some issues in midfield and extensive injuries hurt us. Also once the team starts winning, players confidence goes up and sometimes they look like completely different players.

Defence
Not overly impressed by Lions defence except Andrews and young Bailey when he plays there. Answerth also showed he could be a very good player. Rich has a career best year. Hodge is slow as, Gardner is a solid player but our Collins (Thompson) is better. Witherden is a major disappoitment for me together with Rayner this year. Both look lazy, unfit. Witherden is slow. Lester just fill-in player.

Collins (Thompson), Harbrow, Hanley, Ballard > Gardner, Hodge, Witherden, Lester

Midfield
Everything starts in midfield and getting Neale was a fantastic trade for Lions. He's a superstar. Zorko, MacCluggage (when he plays there) and Lyons complement him nicely. Zorko also looks like having the best year, MacCluggage as well. Last week watching Lions destroying Melbourne's midfield was pretty amazing consdering that Melbourne were the best contested inside midfield previous year.

Witts, Swallow, Macpherson, Bowes, Weller > Martin, Lyons, Mathieson (Robertson), Starcevich, Taylor

Forward
I actually like our forward line. With increased and quality deliveres we will do fine.
Hippwood had 2 good games this year, the rest of games he was average and as McStay sometimes he can't hit the barn.

Rankine, Ainsworth, Martin > Rayner, McCarthy, McStay

Ok, here are the players who could go straight into Lions line up: Collins (Thompson), Harbrow, Hanley, Ballard, Witts, Swallow, Macpherson, Bowes, Weller, Rankine, Ainsworth, Martin. I think I could also find a spot for Fiorini.
Replacing Lions players: Gardner, Hodge, Witherden, Lester, Martin, Lyons, Mathieson, Starcevich, Taylor, Rayner, MacCarthy, McStay.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I watch Lions every game. Considering all players healthy, in form and up and running below are Suns players which I can see to slot into Lions lineup. Of course it depends on who are the best 22, positions players play and I am biased towards Suns.

I actually like both our defence and forward line. We still got some issues in midfield and extensive injuries hurt us. Also once the team starts winning, players confidence goes up and sometimes they look like completely different players.

Defence
Not overly impressed by Lions defence except Andrews and young Bailey when he plays there. Answerth also showed he could be a very good player. Rich has a career best year. Hodge is slow as, Gardner is a solid player but our Collins (Thompson) is better. Witherden is a major disappoitment for me together with Rayner this year. Both look lazy, unfit. Witherden is slow. Lester just fill-in player.

Collins (Thompson), Harbrow, Hanley, Ballard > Gardner, Hodge, Witherden, Lester

Midfield
Everything starts in midfield and getting Neale was a fantastic trade for Lions. He's a superstar. Zorko, MacCluggage (when he plays there) and Lyons complement him nicely. Zorko also looks like having the best year, MacCluggage as well. Last week watching Lions destroying Melbourne's midfield was pretty amazing consdering that Melbourne were the best contested inside midfield previous year.

Witts, Swallow, Weller, Macpherson, Bowes > Martin, Taylor, Mathieson (Robertson), Lyons, Starcevich

Forward
I actually like our forward line. With increased and quality deliveres we will do fine.
Hippwood had 2 good games this year, the rest of games he was average and as McStay sometimes he can't hit the barn.

Rankine, Ainsworth, Martin > Rayner, McCarthy, McStay

Ok, here are the players who could go straight into Lions line up: Collins (Thompson), Harbrow, Hanley, Ballard, Witts, Swallow, Weller, Macpherson, Bowes, Rankine, Ainsworth, Martin. I think I could also find a spot for Fiorini.
Replacing Lions players: Hodge, Gardner, Witherden, Lester, Mathieson, Taylor, Rayner, McStay, MacCarthy, Lyons, Starcevich, Martin.

Interesting post. I disagree with a fair bit of it but I think you are correct that there are definitely places for a fair few Suns players in our best team. I completely agree with you re Harbrow, Bowes, Ainsworth and Martin. Fiorini might get in too, would depend on midfield numbers. I can make a case for Weller too as we could use an upgrade on the wing. From what I've seen Hanley is cooked. I like Ballard so he might get in depending on spots.

As far as players you have being replaced in the Lions team I can't agree with Gardiner, McStay, Lyons, Martin and McCarthy. Gardiner could have won our B&F had he not got injured last year and while Collins had a great start at the Suns it is a small sample size. McStay has a key structural role up forward and you haven't identified a tall forward to replace him. I'm aware Lyons isn't the most popular figure on this board but he has been excellent the last couple of months - I think him v Swallow is arguable.

Stef v Witts is interesting and I think it is mainly about style of play - Witts is excellent at dropping the ball in close and keeping the game tight and contested, whereas Stef is more of a midfielder who wins taps occasionally. I think Stef is probably a better fit for the Lions as we want the ball to get more outside, even though Witts has had the objectively better season. McCarthy stays in for me as Rankine hasn't debuted yet and Martin would replace Christensen in the third small forward/half forward flank/wing rotation.

I think you are being a bit harsh on Witherden too as his season improved drastically from the first month or so. No doubt that Rayner has had the second year blues big time though.

Fun exercise, really enjoyed thinking about it.

EDIT: Just realised this thread is Suns posters only so feel free to delete Mods, will leave it up to you :thumbsu:

thurls64

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
What happened here Suns, seems like I missed a post that blew up for 17er?

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
You should have just left it there when his account got closed. I’m having a good old laugh at those who are hitting the like buttons getting their jollies off by the way at the posts related to 17er having his account closed.

Character revealed again perfectly.

I don’t put you by the way HI or SUNS in that category it’s the ones hitting the like button.

Anyway, you can all pile in on me and/or Peel now.

Start reporting. Hit the report button. That’s the way. Sook it up.
The reason I engage with 17er is because I don't report him, people disagree with him and then piss him off report him, I kind of distract him sometime from getting into trouble, then people complain about reading my argument post with him. Just press the ignore button and don't reply to his or my post. If you going to gave your opinion in a forum be prepare for disagrement if not better write a love letter to yourself or join the Brisbane board.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The reason I engage with 17er is because I don't report him, people disagree with him and then piss him off report him, I kind of distract him sometime from getting into trouble, then people complain about reading my argument post with him. Just press the ignore button and don't reply to his or my post. If you going to gave your opinion in a forum be prepare for disagrement if not better write a love letter to yourself or join the Brisbane board.
Please don’t join the Brisbane Board. There’s something not right in the water up there.

thurls64

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We don't seem to be able to get enough traction from these trades and mature talents we get either......Collins has been a real find but injured, Riordan not debuted yet, McLennan no games yet, Burgess not good enough, Ellis injured and then dropped?????, King and Luko not up to it yet and Rankine cant get on the park yet

GHS and Murdoch not able to be best 22 each week even with an injury ravaged team, GHS never will be, Murdoch has the tools but cant seem to figure out how to use his speed and long kicking skills consistently ongoing

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Hombsch been a decent find, all be it playing undersized at the moment with no Collins or Thompson to help him out.

Come next season with everyone hopefully fit, Hombsch and Burgess will be in competition for that 3rd tall spot.

Riordan will get a game or 2 by the end of the year I reckon. Dunkley from the mid season draft looked OK for Melbourne this past weekend.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Watching GWS and Coniglio just go down injured, you’d have to think the AFL would also have some concern that if The Giants fail to bring home a flag in this window, what might befall them if they too start to sink to the bottom of the ladder once their plethora of high draft pick currency dries up. If we find it hard to attract players, how hard will it be for them?

Back