No Oppo Supporters The Sun Lounge (Suns posters only)

Remove this Banner Ad

The sad fact is, that if a guy like Gary Ablett can come up to the Gold Coast and not be able to influence the culture, its a problem. We are handicapped by our location as much as anything. These are mostly twenty something kids that want to live life and party. The club need to become far more hardnosed with what the players do in and outside of Metricon. We need to bring up some 30+ premiership types like the Hodge/Brisbane scenario NOW, otherwise we are doomed.

Burgoyne is a start, surely there one more we can coax out of 2019 retirement to bring that edge?

The sad fact is, that if a guy like Gary Ablett can come up to the Gold Coast and not be able to influence the culture, its a problem. We are handicapped by our location as much as anything. These are mostly twenty something kids that want to live life and party. The club need to become far more hardnosed with what the players do in and outside of Metricon. We need to bring up some 30+ premiership types like the Hodge/Brisbane scenario NOW, otherwise we are doomed.

Burgoyne is a start, surely there one more we can coax out of 2019 retirement to bring that edge?

Hmmmmm a debutant making comments saying our existence could be “doomed”.
I’m dubious.

Hmmmmm a debutant making comments saying our existence could be “doomed”.
I’m dubious.
Not existence, but our culture. Geez, its semantics. Do we all need to be so paranoid? We need a bit of gallows humour here, not this thrashing around.

We will survive, and eventually flourish (despite the AFL), but in our current incarnation it's not a good look. We can either put our heads in the sand, or we can acknowledge that we have certain locational barriers that the AFL didn't prepare for and that we don't want to face. Again, we need to find experienced players who can, and will, set the tone and culture of our club for the next generation of stars. Ablett wanted a project, not a football club and wasn't prepared for the hard yards that needed to be done and his identity was already too attached to Geelong.

We can bicker, but the reality is that we are miles behind every other side and it will only get worst unless a radical change of mindset prevails. Sorry I don't post here everyday like your good self.

Not existence, but our culture. Geez, its semantics. Do we all need to be so paranoid? We need a bit of gallows humour here, not this thrashing around.

We will survive, and eventually flourish (despite the AFL), but in our current incarnation it's not a good look. We can either put our heads in the sand, or we can acknowledge that we have certain locational barriers that the AFL didn't prepare for and that we don't want to face. Again, we need to find experienced players who can, and will, set the tone and culture of our club for the next generation of stars. Ablett wanted a project, not a football club and wasn't prepared for the hard yards that needed to be done and his identity was already too attached to Geelong.

We can bicker, but the reality is that we are miles behind every other side and it will only get worst unless a radical change of mindset prevails. Sorry I don't post here everyday like your good self.

I genuinely interpreted your word “doomed” as alluding to our existence. I do apologise Suns Brother as I know exactly the frustration you are alluding to with misinterpretation.

This whole location issue only seems to have grown real legs since Fagan’s comments.
Do you think the Western Suburbs of Sydney is AFL heartland? It doesn’t seem to have affected them.
What do you think of the total clean out off field in the past 24 months? The party scene has disappeared and along with that are players who weren’t totally professional.

If you read some of the articles about Ablett and the suns you would see that he was half of the problem with the culture

This whole location issue only seems to have grown real legs since Fagan’s comments.
Do you think the Western Suburbs of Sydney is AFL heartland? It doesn’t seem to have affected them.
What do you think of the total clean out off field in the past 24 months? The party scene has disappeared and along with that are players who weren’t totally professional.
Fair comment. But the western suburbs of Sydney isn't exactly known for being a mecca for hard partying young men. Quite the opposite.

I understand that the club has certainly taken steps to remove players that aren't willing to live up to the responsibilities of being a professional football players. But the weak and uncompetitive end to the year (apart from our efforts against Carlton and Essendon) concerns me no end and suggests that rather than having disappeared, it may simply have transmogrified itself. Clubs are good at hiding concerns from the general public- ours is no exception. This is why I want hardened, no-nonsense, premiership winning (no if, buts or maybes, must have won a flag) 30-35 year old veterans at the club this pre-season. Would have loved Ross as well, but that's just me, and I still have faith in Dewy to turn the ship around.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still be there Round One next year.

If you read some of the articles about Ablett and the suns you would see that he was half of the problem with the culture
In terms of his ego, yeah, I agree completely. Could have worded that differently to be honest with you.

Ohhhhhhhhhh I don’t know I should repeat my thoughts on that again.

It will result in quite the eruption possibly.

Think I’ll let sleeping dogs lie there.
Oh. I don’t recall seeing them elsewhere. Feel free to pm. As a fellow passionate suns man im interested

Fair comment. But the western suburbs of Sydney isn't exactly known for being a mecca for hard partying young men. Quite the opposite.

I understand that the club has certainly taken steps to remove players that aren't willing to live up to the responsibilities of being a professional football players. But the weak and uncompetitive end to the year (apart from our efforts against Carlton and Essendon) concerns me no end and suggests that rather than having disappeared, it may simply have transmogrified itself. Clubs are good at hiding concerns from the general public- ours is no exception. This is why I want hardened, no-nonsense, premiership winning (no if, buts or maybes, must have won a flag) 30-35 year old veterans at the club this pre-season. Would have loved Ross as well, but that's just me, and I still have faith in Dewy to turn the ship around.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still be there Round One next year.

Transmogrified!!! Wow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is exactly what I am talking about. Our club has too many idiots that are too clever by half, who rather than engage with the problems our club has, either sarcastically ignores them or blames other parties for them. Mr Bods is the perfect example of why our club is so unattractive, for both players and supporters.

This is exactly what I am talking about. Our club has too many idiots that are too clever by half, who rather than engage with the problems our club has, either sarcastically ignores them or blames other parties for them. Mr Bods is the perfect example of why our club is so unattractive, for both players and supporters.
You’re the one coming in here baiting and now sooking when he took it?

You probably did not understand. I was joking. Your comment was actually embarrassing. Or maybe you got it Who knows.
18 straight losses is what's embarassing.

But that okay, keep your low standards.

After the initial misunderstanding I was actually trying to engage you in a friendly way.
What a waste that was.
Thanks for the feedback though.
I’m going to block you for the time being now.
So go ahead and say whatever you want.

After the initial misunderstanding I was actually trying to engage you in a friendly way.
What a waste that was.
Thanks for the feedback though.
I’m going to block you for the time being now.
So go ahead and say whatever you want.
That fine. Not my fault the only language you speak is Condescenglish.

A two word sarcastic response is not "engaging" with someone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back