No Oppo Supporters The Sun Lounge (Suns posters only)

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below

Eyyyyy, Yay for prime time but also Yay a Thursday, I shouldnt be working that night I can get down the coast for it 😍
But i wanted to see Bods drinking scotch at 3 quarter time as we go up by 50 points
If Bods can make that happen I'm willing to donate a bottle of scotch to the cause

Hope I’m allowed to say this mods- so first I had a go at saints last year saying well guess Ben king is staying on the cost- lost quite a few points for that comment then last week I posted direct content without posting the link which made me go over the threshold
Silly Vic, You should know better.

The Ben King stuff, out of my hands but bait Victorians and get slapped. Same thing happens when it goes down here but less often.

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
Just for the lols, I listened to this podcast from the middle of 2019, where Ben Dixon & Wayne Carey advise the Suns to trade out all their young talent. 😁https://player.fm/series/afl-footy-fill-up/trade-lukosius-trade-king-how-to-save-the-gold-coast-suns
My favourite is a crows supporter held 24 minutes on the trade radio line and said;

Brad & Matt Crouch, Taylor Walker & Brodie Smith
for
Jack Lukosius, Izak Rankine, Charlie Ballard, Pick 1 (Matt Rowell) & Pick 2 (Noah Anderson)

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
howdy
anyone received any emails from the club regarding ticket sales for this weekends fri night and sat night games? i think they are usually sent by now?
hopefully by me posting this, the universe will see their email hit my inbox! ive been to all neutral games at metricon so far and want to keep going!

howdy
anyone received any emails from the club regarding ticket sales for this weekends fri night and sat night games? i think they are usually sent by now?
hopefully by me posting this, the universe will see their email hit my inbox! ive been to all neutral games at metricon so far and want to keep going!

Got mine at 11:42am. Assuming you have received it by now.

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yet again the Flaws of the AFL Mark and Goal of the year are highlighted again.
Barrass for mark of the week and Smith for goal of the week. arguably the most boring mark and goal of all contenders this week.
I really wish this was done by an independent panel. Absolutely no need to involve fans in these awards.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Barrass for mark of the week and Smith for goal of the week. arguably the most boring mark and goal of all contenders this week.
I really wish this was done by an independent panel. Absolutely no need to involve fans in these awards.
yep, Dmac kicked the actual goal of the year last week and didnt get a nom. Ridiculous

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Absolutely flawed...

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast

I voted via the app google chrome Facebook and iOS on both iPhone and iPad so that’s 8 votes from me so maybe more people need to cheat the system

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Continuation of a previous topic in this thread - Mr Bods looks like movement of the southern state border could be on the cards. Tom Tate is really keen for it to happen and Palasczuk seems open to it. The NSW Premier doesn't seem to be entertaining it (yet) but there has been plenty of talk about this week. I wonder if the residents of Tweed/Banora are open to the idea of becoming a part of Queensland or if they are completely okay with two hour traffic delays until Christmas in order to retain their NSW status. Thoughts?

Last edited:

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Even if they just move the border for duration of the pandemic (with a view at looking at the economics down the track for a permanent move) would be ideal

Looks like there should be some answers on the issue this week when QLD Premier Palaszczuk sends an official request to NSW Premier Berejiklian tomorrow to move the border 7km south to the Tweed River. It would mean areas such as Tweed Heads, Banora Point, Bilambil Heights, Piggabean etc will become a part of Queensland (at least temporarily). It would also mean 1/3rd of the GC Airport that is currently located in NSW will become entirely located within QLD.

From a footy perspective, we may see some more teams officially become Gold Coast clubs like Murwillumbah Vulcans who happen to be based on the northern side of the Tweed River.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Looks like there should be some answers on the issue this week when QLD Premier Palaszczuk sends an official request to NSW Premier Berejiklian tomorrow to move the border 7km south to the Tweed River. It would mean areas such as Tweed Heads, Banora Point, Bilambil Heights, Piggabean etc will become a part of Queensland (at least temporarily). It would also mean 1/3rd of the GC Airport that is currently located in NSW will become entirely located within QLD.

From a footy perspective, we may see some more teams officially become Gold Coast clubs like Murwillumbah Vulcans who happen to be based on the northern side of the Tweed River.

This idea hasn’t been thought through.
All of a sudden the Police, Hospitals, Schools, Ambos, Fire Brigades, Court Houses just to name a few would all need to be restructured and funded by the QLD Govt.
That would be a massive undertaking as well as little things that would be actually big things like getting every vehicle licensed in QLD with new number plates.
It’s a Tate thought bubble.
I must say though that as a GC resident that works in NSW that the border crossing and time it takes me to get home is taking its toll day by day. Even though I totally agree with the Anna P closure in theory I at times want it reopened just for my self interest.

Just a temporary move south of the road blocks to the Tweed River on the other hand would be great and be effective.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
This idea hasn’t been thought through.
All of a sudden the Police, Hospitals, Schools, Ambos, Fire Brigades, Court Houses just to name a few would all need to be restructured and funded by the QLD Govt.
That would be a massive undertaking as well as little things that would be actually big things like getting every vehicle licensed in QLD with new number plates.
It’s a Tate thought bubble.
I wouldn't say it hasn't been thought through. It came out through the week that Annastacia had requested this months ago and the idea was shut down by the NSW Premier, although sometimes it's not clear how much of this sort of stuff is actually true when you're dealing with politicians. I'm pretty sure the QLD government has thought through the implications of these areas joining our great state if this has been on the cards for months. There's a fair bit in it for the residents of those Tweed areas too as it is predicted they will experience as much as a 30% increase in property value and the Queensland government will definitely provide more funding for an area of the second most populous city in the state as opposed to the current small regional area of NSW that is nowhere near the capital of Sydney where the decision makers are based.

I must say though that as a GC resident that works in NSW that the border crossing and time it takes me to get home is taking its toll day by day. Even though I totally agree with the Anna P closure in theory I at times want it reopened just for my self interest.
It's the people who are actually affected by the current situation who should have the most say here, not the NSW Premier who is based in Sydney and has no idea what it's like to live in a border town when the entrance/exit point of your employment is either closed or very difficult to get past. Would you welcome a referendum for those resident to be absorbed into Queensland if all the your above concerns had been considered carefully?

Just a temporary move south of the road blocks to the Tweed River on the other hand would be great and be effective.
Ultimately, this would probably be the most sensible outcome. I just think this situation presents an opportunity to correct the illogical border and both sides of the current border stand to gain from moving it south to the Tweed River.

Just thinking about it from a rugby league perspective, it would change a fair few things for guys like Ryan James who grew up in Bilambil (which will likely become a part of QLD under this proposed situation) and the Tweed Seagulls Leagues Club. I know 'Dark' is a proud New South Welshman but I wonder how the NRL/ARL would handle a change like this. Would James instantly become eligible to represent the Maroons because he hasn't yet played for the Blues? The Maroons may even give him a go if he has a change of heart ;)

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I wouldn't say it hasn't been thought through. It came out through the week that Annastacia had requested this months ago and the idea was shut down by the NSW Premier, although sometimes it's not clear how much of this sort of stuff is actually true when you're dealing with politicians. I'm pretty sure the QLD government has thought through the implications of these areas joining our great state if this has been on the cards for months. There's a fair bit in it for the residents of those Tweed areas too as it is predicted they will experience as much as a 30% increase in property value and the Queensland government will definitely provide more funding for an area of the second most populous city in the state as opposed to the current small regional area of NSW that is nowhere near the capital of Sydney where the decision makers are based.

It's the people who are actually affected by the current situation who should have the most say here, not the NSW Premier who is based in Sydney and has no idea what it's like to live in a border town when the entrance/exit point of your employment is either closed or very difficult to get past. Would you welcome a referendum for those resident to be absorbed into Queensland if all the your above concerns had been considered carefully?

Ultimately, this would probably be the most sensible outcome. I just think this situation presents an opportunity to correct the illogical border and both sides of the current border stand to gain from moving it south to the Tweed River.

Just thinking about it from a rugby league perspective, it would change a fair few things for guys like Ryan James who grew up in Bilambil (which will likely become a part of QLD under this proposed situation) and the Tweed Seagulls Leagues Club. I know 'Dark' is a proud New South Welshman but I wonder how the NRL/ARL would handle a change like this. Would James instantly become eligible to represent the Maroons because he hasn't yet played for the Blues? The Maroons may even give him a go if he has a change of heart ;)

My short answer is that there is a lot to be addressed and answered for it to be permanent

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
My short answer is that there is a lot to be addressed and answered for it to be permanent
Fair enough. Let's see how the NSW Premier reacts to the official request from Annastacia this week and then we can discuss the prospect further.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I hope they do a proper, costed business case, look at pros and cons And release it to the public.

should put issue to bed one way or another for good then.
I wasn't following politics back in 2008 but does anyone know what triggered the movement of the northern border to follow the Albert River and essentially remove suburbs like Beenleigh from the GC jurisdiction and hand them over to Logan? Was a business case released to the public and did the public have any say on the matter?

Back