No Oppo Supporters The Sun Lounge (Suns posters only)

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
So the AFL has brought back everyone’s favourite rule, the sub.
Just trying to think who on our list could become our ‘super sub’. Lemmens? Sharp maybe?

Sub for concussion, con-sub not super-sub

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah I don't like it either, needs to be an concussion only sub imo
Don't understand that. How's it different to any injury where the player can't come back on?

If Matt Rowell does his shoulder in minute 1 and the Suns are down to 21 players, yet the other team has someone concussed in quarter 2, they can bring a sub back on??

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Don't understand that. How's it different to any injury where the player can't come back on?

If Matt Rowell does his shoulder in minute 1 and the Suns are down to 21 players, yet the other team has someone concussed in quarter 2, they can bring a sub back on??
Because it can be abused, make someone who is having a bad day go off with a "injury" bring the sub on with fresh legs and turn a game. I could see that happening

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So the AFL has brought back everyone’s favourite rule, the sub.
Just trying to think who on our list could become our ‘super sub’. Lemmens? Sharp maybe?

Do we pick a tall like Burgess, Hombsch or Graham given our lack of depth in that area and Collins currently being a little underdone? Do you pick a fairly reliable midfielder like Fiorini who should be able to just slot in seamlessly? or do you use it as a way to potentially blood a young utility player like Jeffrey?

I'd guess it'll be Lemmens, Macpherson or Holman. All three can be impact players if they come on halfway through a game.

My guess for Sunday's sub is Macpherson.

I understand it’s not the same as the old sub rule, just seems to be open to being manipulated fairly easily.
The new sub rule could be very useful for us later in the season when Hollands, Atkins or Thompson become available.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Because it can be abused, make someone who is having a bad day go off with a "injury" bring the sub on with fresh legs and turn a game. I could see that happening
I think they said that if a player has an injury where the doctor would expect the player to miss 12 days (in line with concussion), they'd allow them to enact it.

I'd like to give the team doctors more credit than suggesting they'd effectively make up an injury to give their team a small advantage. Although, I'm probably biased..
I would also think a club of any merit would make it absolutely clear to their doctors from day 1 of employment that the coaching staff would never have any influence over the doctors assessment and recommendations.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Do we pick a tall like Burgess, Hombsch or Graham given our lack of depth in that area and Collins currently being a little underdone? Do you pick a fairly reliable midfielder like Fiorini who should be able to just slot in seamlessly? or do you use it as a way to potentially blood a young utility player like Jeffrey?

I'd guess it'll be Lemmens, Macpherson or Holman. All three can be impact players if they come on halfway through a game.

The new sub rule could be very useful for us later in the season when Hollands, Atkins or Thompson become available.
I think macpherson this week is a good call.
Jeffries longer term is a great call.

Feb 27, 2005
Port Augusta
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
QPR
The main points with the sun that some aren’t aware of/misconstrued.
This is a concussion/injury sub.
Not like the old sub from several years ago.
If a player is subbed out of the game, they cannot play for 12 days. Unless it was a fringe player, or perhaps they had the bye next round I can’t see club doctors doing the dodgy.
Then there’s the penalties of points and or draft picks if caught doing the wrong thing.
Does seem handy if an injury happened early in a game.

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Due to the match payments of the player being outside the salary cap, I'd suggest it wouldn't be used to blood a rookie but 90% of the time be our genuine 23rd best player.

Sep 25, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
OKC, Chelsea FC, Raiders
I think they said that if a player has an injury where the doctor would expect the player to miss 12 days (in line with concussion), they'd allow them to enact it.

I'd like to give the team doctors more credit than suggesting they'd effectively make up an injury to give their team a small advantage. Although, I'm probably biased..
I would also think a club of any merit would make it absolutely clear to their doctors from day 1 of employment that the coaching staff would never have any influence over the doctors assessment and recommendations.

It will put doctors under added pressure you would think.
A player comes off with a hamstring/foot/etc. and the coaches will be pushing to bring on the sub, so the doctor has to quickly assess if he thinks it will be a 12 day+ injury before scans are done. If the doc miscalculates then the club is looking at a fine/draft picks/ point loss (supposedly). But then if the doc says ‘nah I reckon it’s a 3-4 day injury’ and doesn’t activate the sub but said player is out for 3 weeks+ then the coaches aren’t happy and the doc is copping abuse from the fans.

Should be an independent AFL figure making the final decision after talking to the club doctor IMO.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It will put doctors under added pressure you would think.
A player comes off with a hamstring/foot/etc. and the coaches will be pushing to bring on the sub, so the doctor has to quickly assess if he thinks it will be a 12 day+ injury before scans are done. If the doc miscalculates then the club is looking at a fine/draft picks/ point loss (supposedly). But then if the doc says ‘nah I reckon it’s a 3-4 day injury’ and doesn’t activate the sub but said player is out for 3 weeks+ then the coaches aren’t happy and the doc is copping abuse from the fans.

Should be an independent AFL figure making the final decision after talking to the club doctor IMO.
I think they said if the player receives a non-concussion injury and recovers before the 12 day window, there would be no penalty as long as there some rigour around it.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think they said if the player receives a non-concussion injury and recovers before the 12 day window, there would be no penalty as long as there some rigour around it.
AFL still has to approve it.
Club doctors must provide the AFL with a medical certificate on the first working day after the match as evidence the substituted player sustained the injury.

Should a subbed-out player recover from an injury other than concussion before the next match, he may be granted to play provided his return is ticked off by the AFL Medical Officer.

Back