No Oppo Supporters The Sun Lounge (Suns posters only)

Remove this Banner Ad

This is why you need 4 field umpires that umpire half a ground each (in pairs) rather than three umpires umpiring a third of the ground solo
There were 3 blatant no calls against Lions - Selwood's throw, no 2nd 50m on Hawkin's physically impeding Harris and the last 10s holding the ball. In all cases umpire was right there so 4th field umpire would not help. I guess the umpires just chickened out due to home field crowd pressure. By the way, in my opinion, there was a lot of calls going Lions way during the game. That's probably the reason why umpires were booed by crowd after the game even after the umpire gave them the win by making the biggest blunder imaginable at the end. Comedy. Umpires should be full time and more accountable (suspended).

It's way too early in the season, but I think both teams were far from convincing.

Last edited:
There were 3 blatant no calls against Lions - Selwood's throw, no 2nd 50m on Hawkin's physically impeding Harris and the last 10s holding the ball. In all cases umpire was right there so 4th field umpire would not help. I guess the umpires just chickened out due to home field crowd pressure. By the way, in my opinion, there was a lot of calls going Lions way during the game. That's probably the reason why umpires were booed by crowd after the game even after the umpire made the biggest blunder imaginable at the end. Comedy. Umpires should be full time and more accountable (suspended).

It's way too early in the season, but I think both teams were far from convincing.
Look, I’m mindful of criticism for umpires because it’s such a tough game to umpire however at league level umpires should only be umpiring if they are at a good enough standard to make they they call the clear free kicks at a minimum and not get persuaded by the home crowd. If they aren’t able to meet that test, then other umpires are found.

the only way that umpires will get better though is by having a professional group of umpires that umpire the AFL and do this full time. This could also mean that it’s only a panel of pro umpires and they are scattered across every game to ensure every match as at least one minimum pro umpire

It's funny how perceptions can change so quickly. Going into this season, a lot of pundits thought Carlton were set for a big jump into the top 8 and here they are sitting at 0-2 (just like their last 8 seasons). From our perspective, we have the Blues in round 4 at Metricon which could be the perfect time to face them while they're horribly out of form. They have Freo next week and the Dockers are definitely capable of beating them. We have Adelaide who pulled off an amazing win over the Cats but I want to see if they can back it up against Sydney this week before I start to believe they've turned the corner. So the Crows look better than most of us thought two weeks ago but the Blues look worse than most of us thought two weeks ago.

The footy gods giveth and the footy gods taketh.

Dopey Dwayne yesterday was telling Carlton fans don’t worry just yet about 0-2 because they’ve played 2 top teams and got freo and Suns next 2 games so should be ok after 2 easy teams so now I hope freo and us beat them too

Dopey Dwayne yesterday was telling Carlton fans don’t worry just yet about 0-2 because they’ve played 2 top teams and got freo and Suns next 2 games so should be ok after 2 easy teams so now I hope freo and us beat them too
I’ve not seen too many suggest Collingwood will be a top team. Mind you if Carlton are 0-4 all hell will break loose... I’ll enjoy every bit of it.

In all cases umpire was right there so 4th field umpire would not help.
I guess my method would require two umpires to chicken out rather than one.
I know sometimes an umpire from another zone will call something they see when they are not the umpire adjudicating the play, but that’s a few times a month and is always a big deal in media.
my method would mean two umpires see and call the game concurrently on half the ground, and it switches when players move across to other half

I guess my method would require two umpires to chicken out rather than one.
I know sometimes an umpire from another zone will call something they see when they are not the umpire adjudicating the play, but that’s a few times a month and is always a big deal in media.
my method would mean two umpires see and call the game concurrently on half the ground, and it switches when players move across to other half
They are all chickens :) Even yesterday the other field umpire could overrule the no-call.

Most umpires are not up to it in hostile environment. In our game against Eagles in the 4th quarter there was a blatant push by Kennedy on Collins in the square - no call and Kennedy scored. It was one of crucial moments. If the umpire made the correct call and Sexton scored from easy set shot we would still be ahead with 10min to go.

Last edited:
Their best 3 players on the ground right now are Gulden, Campbell and McDonald.

Sydney absolutely nailed the 2020 draft.
Two of which they got at a discounted rate due to their academy ties.

I wish our academy was producing high quality draftees at a similar rate. We'd be playing finals every year if that were the case.

Two of which they got at a discounted rate due to their academy ties.

I wish our academy was producing high quality draftees at a similar rate. We'd be playing finals every year if that were the case.

Do the swans have the advantage of a smaller academy catchment so easier to focus on a smaller pure group of players or is it the fact that they put more money into their academy with QBE a major sponsor of it ?

Our academy seems spread over such a large area especially now adding NT plus not a huge funding behind it being a club with a low income

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do the swans have the advantage of a smaller academy catchment so easier to focus on a smaller pure group of players or is it the fact that they put more money into their academy with QBE a major sponsor of it ?

Our academy seems spread over such a large area especially now adding NT plus not a huge funding behind it being a club with a low income
Apparently Sydney spend considerably more on their academy than any other northern academy. I think that's the main factor at play.

Our biggest challenge is definitely the large distances between our larger population bases. We also have the least people living inside our zone. Probably emphasises the fact that we really need to focus on developing Gold Coast juniors as it's one of the fastest growing cities in Australia. Majority of Sydney's academy stars are Sydney products: Mills, Blakey, Campbell, Gulden etc.

Wasn't sure where to put this but it looks like Channel 9 have finally decided to show the AFL Sunday Footy Show live and on their main station in Queensland. It's on right now.

The hosts have talked about having a 'national broadcast' a few times and that the 'executives in Sydney are watching' so I have to assume they've decided to broadcast the AFL Sunday Footy Show in QLD and NSW as of today. It looks like we get the first hour and then it transitions into the NRL version.

Interesting move from Channel 9. They must have significant data from last year which suggests a greater interest in AFL when compared to years gone by.

Wasn't sure where to put this but it looks like Channel 9 have finally decided to show the AFL Sunday Footy Show live and on their main station in Queensland. It's on right now.

The hosts have talked about having a 'national broadcast' a few times and that the 'executives in Sydney are watching' so I have to assume they've decided to broadcast the AFL Sunday Footy Show in QLD and NSW as of today. It looks like we get the first hour and then it transitions into the NRL version.

Interesting move from Channel 9. They must have significant data from last year which suggests a greater interest in AFL when compared to years gone by.
It’s because of technical issues in NSW/QLD. The Today show this morning wasn’t aired for the same reason.

A couple of years ago Swans were spending 1.2M (QBE) and SUNS 200-300K on academies. The last year before covid SUNS increased it to 800K.

So Tom Morris on FoxFooty just now saying the Carlton game could be moved to Adelaide Oval should we have to stay away from Queensland.
Would suck big time to lose a home game, but looks like this is how the AFL are dealing with things again this year.

So a nurse who worked 1 shift on a covid ward gets covid, she was unvaccinated and therefore unprotected to be working on the frontline. But ScuMo who doesn’t hold a hose or presumably operate a ventilator, has had 2 vaccines.
If ScuMo was captain of the Titanic, he would have been the first one in a life raft, quicker than you could say, "Ice Berg"!

And now we don’t get to go to the footy, plus lockdown re-enters our lives and our loved ones who are vulnerable are put at risk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back