No Oppo Supporters The Sun Lounge (Suns posters only)

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading that history we really should think about changing our name to the Gold Coke Suns and chase the Sinaloa Cartel as a major sponsor. Then any critics might mysteriously disappear only to be found months later missing their heads. One way to stop the constant self-inflicted ridicule?

made a list of some controversial decisions & events over the years. let me know if i've missed any!

• made gary ablett jnr captain (led from the front on field, but probably pushed into the role as we had no one else)
  • went for super young list strategy early on, a couple aging mature recruits other than gaz.
  • guy mckenna inaugural head coach (no prior experience)
  • harley bennell dropped for disciplinary reasons multiple times throughout season
  • campbell brown removed from leadership group after being detailed after bar fight in thailand (3 other players involved)
  • reportedly spending $400k less on club staff than league average (reported in 2018 - under-resourced in critical football department)

• harley bennell caught with illicit drugs in tassie
  • joel wilkinson racially vilified by teammates at wacky wednesday
  • campbell brown sacked (punched steven may in USA)

• 7 suns players reportely did cocaine at party in august
  • drug use continued at mad monday lunch on gold coast in september
  • a week later, 12 players went on 4 day golf trip and did cocaine
  • lack of leadership let playing group become divided around 2013 (god squad, crack heads)
  • guy mckenna fired / rodney eade hired

• karmichael hunt arrested for cocaine use
  • harley bennell has drunken altercation and is traded to freo
  • charlie dixon leaves as free agent

• jaeger o'meara leaves as free agent, after missing 2015 & 2016 through injury
  • dion prestia leaves as free agent

• gary ablett jnr leaves as free agent (current club captain)
  • rodney eade fired / stuart dew hired
  • jarrod harbrow loses license after drink driving

• jon haines films stuart dew pissing outside a pub (news released in 2020)
  • tom lynch leaves as free agent (current club co-captain)
  • steven may leaves as free agent (current club co-captain)
  • jarryd lyons delisted (salary cap issues supposedly)

• brayden crossley suspended for 12 months for anti-doping violation (cocaine)
  • jack martin leaves club after failing to come to trade agreement with carlton (no compensation)

• signed rory atkins to massive deal (turned up to preseason out of shape, lack of professionalism, etc.).
  • peter wright traded for future 4th rd pick (former pick 8, failed development)

• hugh greenwood delisted with intention to re-list in rookie draft, signed by north melbourne
I'd add Picks Jack Scrimshaw with pick 6
Kid wants to leave as soon as he arrives and never gives 100% effort
Traded for a pick in the 50's a few years later.

Playing in China

Nathan Bock doping claims

Josh Francou leaves mid season

made a list of some controversial decisions & events over the years. let me know if i've missed any!

• made gary ablett jnr captain (led from the front on field, but probably pushed into the role as we had no one else)
  • went for super young list strategy early on, a couple aging mature recruits other than gaz.
  • guy mckenna inaugural head coach (no prior experience)
  • harley bennell dropped for disciplinary reasons multiple times throughout season
  • campbell brown removed from leadership group after being detailed after bar fight in thailand (3 other players involved)
  • reportedly spending $400k less on club staff than league average (reported in 2018 - under-resourced in critical football department)

• harley bennell caught with illicit drugs in tassie
  • joel wilkinson racially vilified by teammates at wacky wednesday
  • campbell brown sacked (punched steven may in USA)

• 7 suns players reportely did cocaine at party in august
  • drug use continued at mad monday lunch on gold coast in september
  • a week later, 12 players went on 4 day golf trip and did cocaine
  • lack of leadership let playing group become divided around 2013 (god squad, crack heads)
  • guy mckenna fired / rodney eade hired

• karmichael hunt arrested for cocaine use
  • harley bennell has drunken altercation and is traded to freo
  • charlie dixon leaves as free agent

• jaeger o'meara leaves as free agent, after missing 2015 & 2016 through injury
  • dion prestia leaves as free agent

• gary ablett jnr leaves as free agent (current club captain)
  • rodney eade fired / stuart dew hired
  • jarrod harbrow loses license after drink driving

• jon haines films stuart dew pissing outside a pub (news released in 2020)
  • tom lynch leaves as free agent (current club co-captain)
  • steven may leaves as free agent (current club co-captain)
  • jarryd lyons delisted (salary cap issues supposedly)

• brayden crossley suspended for 12 months for anti-doping violation (cocaine)
  • jack martin leaves club after failing to come to trade agreement with carlton (no compensation)

• signed rory atkins to massive deal (turned up to preseason out of shape, lack of professionalism, etc.).
  • peter wright traded for future 4th rd pick (former pick 8, failed development)

• hugh greenwood delisted with intention to re-list in rookie draft, signed by north melbourne

How far down the rabbit hole do we go?
My worst was trading pick 4 to Melbourne for pick 8 and taking Ah Chee over Clayton(The good Clayton..not our resident idiot list manager at the time)
add it to the list !!!

added them both. they were two fairly bad ones, i could add a bunch of sh*t trades we've done, but a lot is subjective and happens to a lot of clubs.
if anyone has any other off field or general sh*t things that have happened to us i'll keep adding to it.

Ah yes like Weller for pick 2

I seem to remember the Coodabeens singing about that to the tune of John Brown’s Body.

Campbell Brown’s body’s on the front page of the Sun,
He must have lost his t-shirt, ‘cause he wasn’t wearing one

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would be quite interested to have some finer detail on the "special relationships" we hear Dew develops with the players
I think we can safely assume Lyons Ah Chee Wright Brodie and Greenwood are not 5 of them
Lets hope its King Lukosius Rankine Rowell and Anderson
I'm not holding my breath

I would be quite interested to have some finer detail on the "special relationships" we hear Dew develops with the players
I think we can safely assume Lyons Ah Chee Wright Brodie and Greenwood are not 5 of them
Good choice, Dew. I would go with second five too.

From what I understand King and Dew in particular are very close.

On numerous occasions we’ve tried to pull together to have the board sponsor a player.. generally not enough interest or money to sponsor anyone.

In saying that… I’m down for $200 if we can pull together a player sponsorship.
I ended up emailing the club and they don’t currently offer player sponsorships.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back