The Super Goal- What happened to it and should it return?

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton lad

Cancelled
Mar 8, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Yo guys

So I been watching some of the pre season games this weekend and I couldn't help but wonder what happened to the 9 point super goals. I remember it was like 4 or 5 years ago they still had them for the pre season matches even after the NAB cup was scratched. I guess its been gone for quite a while now but its only been this year that I've remembered they used to be a thing.
I've spent tonight searching the internet and I couldn't find any articles about when or why they were scrapped so I was wondering if anyone could fill me in.

Also do you guys think they should bring them back for the pre season matches or even for the regular season games. I for one used to love the addition as it encouraged more players to have shots from outside 50, actually pull out the torpedo and make the scoring higher too. Given the quarters were shortened last year I'm surprised the AFL never looked into bringing back the 9 pointer to increase scoring.

It was a gimmick in the preseason, it's not something I think they ever considered for the real season, it was plenty of opportunity to get the sponsors name in and donate some money.

It didn't really bother me in the preseason, but not something I'd ever want in the real thing.

Keep it simple, if it ain't broke don't try and fix a problem that isn't there by introducing some gimmick. It'd be a change for the sake of change, rather than what rule changes should be, which is only introduced to solve an obvious, persistent flaw or problem.

I think the 9 pointer went when the pre-season stopped being for a ‘Premiership’.....I don’t think it should (or will) ever come into H&A matches, one rule that has been used in the pre-season that I’m an advocate for is no mark for a backwards kick.....The more chances for an epic finish to a match the better.

Super Goals would make games more interesting bring it for real games

I’d consider 3 points for a behind when kicked from outside 50.

We just couldn’t have replays of boots on the 50 mtr line getting scrutinised by a video umpire like it’s a no ball in cricket.

We have enough stupid time wasting crap going on with umpires as it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back