The Supporters Creed

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think its time that we the supporters had a good hard look at ourselves and came up with our own guidelines.
We need to lift our game the same way as everyone else involved with the club needs to.
We have to assume that what is put on social media is read by everyone.

Please submit your thoughts.
Let me start with a few of my own.

We the supporters of the Port Adelaide Football Club

- will give our opinions honestly
- will say the same thing online as we would say to someone's face
- will not accept online personal attacks and bullying directed at our players and staff
- will be conscious of limiting binary stereotyping (eg happy clappers)
- will vent on gameday threads, deal with it
- will refuse to accept incompetence and being bullshited to by club officials, players and coaches
- all club employees will be held to account by the people who pay their wages, the supporters
- ?
- ?
- ?
- ?

Can we lift our game or am I pissing into the wind?

And no, nobody at the club has asked me to post this.

Last edited:

I think its time that we the supporters had a good hard look at ourselves and came up with our own guidelines.
We need to lift our game the same way as everyone else involved with the club needs to.
We have to assume that what is put on social media is read by everyone.

Please submit your thoughts.
Let me start with a few of my own.

We the supporters of the Port Adelaide Football Club

- will give our opinions honestly
- will say the same thing online as we would say to someone's face
- will not accept personal attacks and bullying of our players and staff
- will be conscious of limiting binary stereotyping (eg happy clappers)
- will vent on gameday threads, deal with it
- ?
- ?
- ?

Can we lift our game or am I pi**ing into the wind?

And no, nobody at the club has asked me to post this.

Nah, * em.

Isn't 'happy clapper' a reference to the Neue-Christian types who just blindly follow the leader?

Don't we have a bunch of them running the club now?

Should be

will refuse to accept incompetenece and being bullshited to by club officials, players and coaches

The main difference between club staff and club supporters is staff are paid handsomly to perform a job, supporters pay for the privelage of supporting the club. The only “supporter creed” there should be is the one that says all club employees should be held to account by the people who pay their wages, the supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club is already doing enough victim blaming when it comes to the fans. Do we really need to join in?

What triggered my post was all the Sam Gray bashing in the trade thread yesterday and I've had a gutful of it.

I think he would admit he isn't the most talented player on the list but I genuinely think he gives it 100% and is a real Port boy.
Tom Logan, Jared Poulton type.
Yes he is the sort of player that heads to the SANFL when we have our best 22 available, but does he pick himself or do the selection committee do that?
Does he deserve the s**t talk he gets if he is making his best effort?

Just saying that yesterday pissed me off and I'm sure a lot of what was posted would not be said to his face.
Anyway, getting off my soapbox now, have at it.

Ok one more thing, I can differentiate between the club itself and its current management.
I may not agree with a lot of what one does, but that doesn't affect how I feel about the other.

Last edited:
Isn't 'happy clapper' a reference to the Neue-Christian types who just blindly follow the leader?

There’s a bunch of them attempting to run the country never mind the club.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah, ‘out of context’ made me chuckle.

Ken Oath and his minions are pledging millions to get The Righteous Hinkleys a G650 as we speak.

If I was employed at the club and referred to as an incompetent and /or a bullshi!!er, I could consider that to be harassment or bullying. So point 3 appears to contradict point 6.

At times comments towards players can be severe. If a player reads them it could affect self worth, mental health, playing confidence, interpersonal relations etc. Which is why I suspect they would be discouraged to do so. I personally don't bag any of our players for having a brain fade or poor performances at given times. I am well aware that each and every player would be a better player than myself on my best day and in my best year. So i agree with you. The best form of criticism is constructive criticism which I would suspect is used by all coaching staff in all sports. Maybe BF should too so you raise a valid point IMO.

However, those within the club that have well paid positions of authority and influence, set themselves up for being judged by the actions they take and the words they utter. And the happy clappers basically encourage such behaviour by their silent acceptance.

Club gets a couple of grand out of me every year.

I’ll say whatever the f*ck I want.
I bet these people who are saying others should just pay up and shut up would give the poor kid on the till at Macca's a serve if the burger they just paid a couple of bucks for wasn't up to scratch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back