The surface at Optus stadium is a genuine issue

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 29, 2008
Between the lines.
AFL Club
West Coast
It's been mentioned a number of times in the media, an overly hard surface which is contributing to lower leg soreness and injury. Both at WC and for visiting sides.

It took stadium management a number of weeks to address complaints, telling WC not to train at the ground. Now there has been another lower leg (ankle) injury, to a speedy player (Jack Petruccelle), the blow torch really needs to be put onto stadium management to defend the steps they have taken to rehabilitate the surface. They allegedly have a plan in place, that is progressing slower than expected, however the issue doesn't appear to be abating.

• Banned
If the surface was too hard, how would that be fixed? I doubt it's as simple as more water and needs to be redone?
I think their answer was to request a training ban for WC and Freo for a three week period, but I'm not sure what other action has been taken.

Ryan, Guthrie, Veneables and now Petrucelle are all quick players who have suffered ankle injuries on the surface. Both Sheed and Jetta, foot and calf, were spoken about in context of the surface and I think there has been 4 long term impact injuries, where players have collided with the surface that have also been chalked up to it's hardness. I know that the AFL/stadium management and state governments tend to get wound up about clubs and journos going public with these problems, due to issues of liability and fears over lawsuits or lost revenue, but the stadium management can't leep playing coy if players safety is being put at risk.

Seems surprising to me that this could be an issue given the well known problems at Etihad and the design of Stadium over car park. What was the AFL's involvement (if any) with the stadium? Surely as a key stakeholder they should have had input into these factors if they are going to be the employer that fronts Worksafe (or equivalent) when players are unreasonably injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it’s just an excuse line AFL clubs dish out to try and lay blame elsewhere. Footballers get injuries, it’s part of the game. That is not to say the stadium has nothing to do with it but the AFL have a guideline on playing surfaces and it fits in this.
Is it the stadiums fault GWS have so many injuries?
There a bunch of toffy nose sportsman these days, once you ran out and played and no one cared. Now unless it’s a billiard table the poor buggers are a bit uncomfortable and even when it is a billiard table they still complain.

I think it’s just an excuse line AFL clubs dish out to try and lay blame elsewhere. Footballers get injuries, it’s part of the game. That is not to say the stadium has nothing to do with it but the AFL have a guideline on playing surfaces and it fits in this.
Is it the stadiums fault GWS have so many injuries?
There a bunch of toffy nose sportsman these days, once you ran out and played and no one cared. Now unless it’s a billiard table the poor buggers are a bit uncomfortable and even when it is a billiard table they still complain.

Has the pre game warm up been changed - that bloke Hocking is Teflon coated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back