Multiplat The Surge 2

Remove this Banner Ad

mixed bag for me.

my main issue is the parrying mechanic. i appreciate these games are made for a gamepad and i accept they're just better for third-person action games but using a mouse is horrible. i can only use gamepads for sport and fighting games so am really struggling with the surge atm. defence in DS1/3/sekiro were all much more manageable.

performance also is a worry. for a reason i don't understand using anything higher than 'low' textures has a real performance impact. i thought texture quality only related to the available GPU ram and if you had enough everything would be fine. turning it down to low is the only thing that has improved frames issues for me. and even when steam is telling me 60, there are occasional dips that arent reflected. i realise my i5 4670 is 6 years old now and the 1080 is no longer top notch, but am still confused by the texture issues.

otherwise, am enjoying the exploration and the combat when parrying isn't required.

I couldn't imagine playing this game or anything like it with anything but a controller. From the videos I've seen I reckon it will take me a while to get a grasp of the directional parrying.

I probably won't be getting into this until closer to Christmas so hoping it finds it way onto the Game Pass by then.

I couldn't imagine playing this game or anything like it with anything but a controller. From the videos I've seen I reckon it will take me a while to get a grasp of the directional parrying.

yeah, for one reason or another i've never used a controller except for the genres i mentioned. i've managed ok until now so kinda assumed i'd be able to do ok. you'll be fine, parrying is a lot more forgiving than sekiro and if thumbsticks are your thing you won't have anything to worry about.

eta- though, the performance has suddenly gotten worse too which is annoying. there's a nice-looking game hidden here somewhere but whether its frame pacing or something else it's a little jarring, even turning everything to low.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back