Autopsy The surprisingly mature post loss discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

You watched a replay??? o_O
Yeah i know, a glutton for punishment.
Like a fair few of us at the ground we walked out halfway through the last, something i have not done for many years. I and many of the people around me thought the officiating in the first half was atrocious, ( though definitely not the reason we lost) and i wanted to see if what i saw at the ground was actually as bad as it seemed with a clearer head. It was , even the commentators seemed to be somewhat dumbfounded at some of the decisions and non decisions.
Most defensive i have ever heard Johnno get while commenting

Contested footy is a massive part of footy. I don't think Macca is any genious for teaching a young side how to develop a contested side to your game.

Same as Roos at Melbourne. He based himself on that because to put it bluntly, it's a simple constant in the game and the other tactical stuff had probably passed him by.

It's time to utilise the players we have and build another game plan around them. The handball game has gone past us, the effort required by the players to have this fast game plan isn't existent of recent weeks. Cloke needs to be put in the forward line and not leave the 50. Just provide a direct long target. If not Cloke, it's has to be Redpath, these players are too good at their best to not be utilised effectively in the ones.

Yeah i know, a glutton for punishment.
Like a fair few of us at the ground we walked out halfway through the last, something i have not done for many years. I and many of the people around me thought the officiating in the first half was atrocious, ( though definitely not the reason we lost) and i wanted to see if what i saw at the ground was actually as bad as it seemed with a clearer head. It was , even the commentators seemed to be somewhat dumbfounded at some of the decisions and non decisions.
Most defensive i have ever heard Johnno get while commenting
I didn't want to say it but are right- umpiring in the first quarter was the most two faced hypocritical for a long time. Dickson marks but did hold it long enough ( 2 secs at least), Watts fluffs his then gets paid. Bont handballs off properly its HTB then Viney is surrounded by 3 dogs in our forward line and just lies on it- ball up of course when he was the only on who had the ball

Seriously, who would we want to tag from North's on-ball brigade, they were terrible last week too.

yes that's very true. But my thinking is try and get Picken's mojo back. Can't keep hi rolling the way he is. So do something different.

Well done to everyone on this thread for avoiding a s**t fight. We've been very reasonable, more disappointed than angry, like a doting parent who can't understand their child's behaviour.

If this was the Richmond board there would be 5 pages of umpire bashing, 10 pages of player bashing, and a finale of 5 pages when the posters turn on each other.

Well done to everyone on this thread for avoiding a s**t fight. We've been very reasonable, more disappointed than angry, like a doting parent who can't understand their child's behaviour.

If this was the Richmond board there would be 5 pages of umpire bashing, 10 pages of player bashing, and a finale of 5 pages when the posters turn on each other.

Hey we are still the Premiers, and still feeling very zen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm glad you've raised this (and the doting parent is a nice analogy).

Our BF community expresses frustration but generally maintains dignity and respect. I wish I could say the same for sections of our supporters at the game yesterday.

Some of the hate that was directed at our players by so-called supporters wearing red, white and blue was appalling. In the area I sat Jason Johanissen copped sustained and outright abuse; Bailey Dale, Jake Stringer and Matt Suckling all took their turn as whipping boy; several more players who six months ago delivered our club a premiership were pilloried non-stop.

To be honest, I wasn't displeased with our effort yesterday. Outplayed and out-coached, yes but not for the want of having a red-hot crack (unlike the previous week). Not sure if it's the taste of success or generally mellowing with age but I remain upbeat about 2017; it ain't over yet.

On the other hand, toxic campaigners in yesterday's crowd can just f*** off. It was cringeworthy to witness.

I preferred the 2016 version of why we aren't Richmond

I didn't want to say it but are right- umpiring in the first quarter was the most two faced hypocritical for a long time. Dickson marks but did hold it long enough ( 2 secs at least), Watts fluffs his then gets paid. Bont handballs off properly its HTB then Viney is surrounded by 3 dogs in our forward line and just lies on it- ball up of course when he was the only on who had the ball
You missed a few more howlers.

We had a score review and a goal disallowed. A few minutes later, Easton Wood claimed a touched ball and no review. Why? When the only review took forever and then went to "umpires call". WTF?

Watts wouldn't hand the ball back, clear 50 metre penalty. Not given.

So many of the iffy decisions were momentum breakers, first half was just putrid umpiring.

Let's not kid ourselves that the umpires altered the result but I thought that the aggro that surfaced in the latter part of the second quarter was partially due to player frustration with the umpiring.

A lot of people are quick to forget that Macca was the one who started the contested ball mantra as soon as he walked into the club. Can't believe he got absolutely no credit for our flag last year!

Is this a joke??

He single handedly put this club in the lowest point it has been since the tin rattling.

The only credit he deserves is he was so bad and such an a$$hole to some of the players the board had no choice but sack him.

Crack in??? That's local footy level coaching and it doesn't work at test level anymore either

He is the worst coach we have ever had and to credit him at all is an insult

Last edited:
Bevo needs to have a quiet word with the umpires, not do a big publicity stunt, like Horse and a few others.

I forget which club it was that we played who invited the umpires into the rooms before the game to check on a few rules, but it is also an opportunity to ensure that the umpires tell the players what rules they are focusing on that week.

And also me, he has his fingerprints over Melbourne.
Just as a concept and not a comment on whether he was good bad or indifferent as a coach, I'm genuinely fascinated by the attribution of credit to Macca, when you consider:

- I've never heard it suggested Eade should be credited for any results under Macca (I'd dare say he wouldn't want to be either) or equally Rohde for Eade and so on.

- It seems generally accepted that there was a completely different style implemented under Beveridge.

- No less than 7 premiership players never experienced a single days coaching under Macca.

- Only 6 premiership players in fact had more games under Macca than Beveridge (bearing in mind Macca had one extra year).

- 3 of those 6, were Morris, Moyd and Picken who already played more games under preceding coaches and Morris and Moyds roles were fundamentally changed under Beveridge.

Against that background I find it hard to see how he was influential.

Graham apparently got into a fight with the 4th umpire at halftime. Club was not happy with how things went against us in that first half.

What i don't understand is with us struggling to score why have we changed Hunters role from the first few games of the year. Started more in an attacking role and was kicking 2 or 3 goals a game and becoming a real offensive weapon and then gets moved back to be a sweeper and mainly useless stat getter.

Also with JJ struggling down back with the hard tags why not move him forward. Change it up abit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back