The Swansong - Departed Musicians

Remove this Banner Ad

Very saddened to hear of David Bowie's passing. In utter shock and disbelief, a total icon and legend.

Apparently it's a hoax. No idea why it's on his page but it's already been denied.

No, its been confirmed (officially) unfortunately :cry:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How can I say something meaningful when a friend dies?

I had two heroes growing up as a child and young adult. One was John Lennon and the other was David Bowie. I was inconsolable the day I heard the news that John Lennon had been murdered. Such a senseless act just reduced me to tears. The news of Bowie's death has left me shocked and numbed. It's just out of the blue.

I think it was around 1971 that I first took interest in Bowie. It wasn't a glam rock thing. I didn't start wearing outrageous clothes or make up. I did have the platform shoes but that was as far as it went with me. The songs and their variety floored me. I bought the Space Oddity LP and played it non-stop. "Ground control to Major Tom..." Not all of his albums were available in Australia. The next purchase was Aladdin Sane. The cover is iconic. I remember seeing it in the hands of a cheer squad member in the Heatley Stand. For a while I forgot about the footy and just wanted to get a closer look at the sleeve. "Who will love Aladdin Sane?". I did my research and he had other albums. You couldn't get them in Australia. My sister fortunately travelled to England and I begged her to find the albums. If I was impressed with the albums I had imagine my reaction to Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars and Hunky Dory. Bowie was now a rock god. "Didn't know what time it was?" "Sailors fighting in the dancehall..."

Many great albums and new collaborations followed. I'd be here all night if I went on but a special mention to Ashes to Ashes. I have an affinity with great lyrics. Down the years some just leave me dumbstruck and jealous that I didn't write them. Lennon's lyrics for Revolution leave me hoarse. You've just got to scream them. "If you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao..." * that's good! Bowie's reprisal of Major Tom provide the lyrics for my life. It gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.

I've never done good things
I've never done bad things
I've never did anything out of the blue
Wo-oh

I'm ordinary but David Bowie, you were extraordinary. Thanks for the joy you've given me.

His live double album 'David Live' is one of my favourites

Called it his "Alive and well in theory" album.

All the Young Dudes is magic.

He produced Ian Hunter, practically owns Transformer...............gawd, there's just so much.

Here he is only a couple of years ago.

Called it his "Alive and well in theory" album.

All the Young Dudes is magic.

He produced Ian Hunter, practically owns Transformer...............gawd, there's just so much.

Here he is only a couple of years ago.

All the young dudes :hearts:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back