The Sydney Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The cancellation of a legal strike that went through all the legal loopholes has national implications.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Actually it was an illegal strike because:
" Do you agree to the pay offer?" sent via SMS where a lack of response was treated as a no apparently is an improper way to hold a vote.

Public transport should be treated the same as emergency services in their ability to take industrial action.

Actually it was an illegal strike because:
" Do you agree to the pay offer?" sent via SMS where a lack of response was treated as a no apparently is an improper way to hold a vote.

Public transport should be treated the same as emergency services in their ability to take industrial action.
Actually no it wasnt illegal. The action was viewed as legal and had followed all the rules to a tea.
The head of Fair Working (who was part of work choices back in the day) even stated as such.
He said that it would cause disruption which is why it was called off. Only reason.

https://www.lawyersweekly.com.au/bi...ecision-undermines-workers-rights-lawyer-says

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yeh I catch the train here, my wife does as well, mention it to people and they turn their nose up and mention there must be a bus that does the same route.
I have no idea why there's a stigma with trains. The express service I get is far more comfortable than any bus I've sat on.
Trains in Sydney are good. In the sense they are air conditioned and you usually get a seat as the carriages are huge. When in Sydney I live relatively close to town (Newtown, Erskineville, Mascot, St Peters area) and in my experience the trains tend to run fairly close to schedule. I can't speak for people further out where it seems there are a litany of problems. But the schedules are stupid. A train every 15 minute during peak hour at many stations? Blind Freddy can make that happen. From memory Newtown station has about an hour time frame where it gets two trains every 15 minutes.

In a city the size of Sydney and Newtown being the hub it is, that "high" hour should be at least 90 minutes and 2 trains every 15 minutes should be 4 trains every 15 minutes. And there should be a 3 hour period at the start and end of each workday where there is 2 trains within a 15 minute time frame. Other hubs that should hit that minimum frequency would be North Sydney, Strathfield, Ryde (?), Ashfield, Bondi Junction and other bigger stations in the outer suburbs that I'm not familiar with. I imagine station like Parramatta, Penrith, Sutherland, Hornsby are probably the busiest in their respective areas. Some of those may need even more services - can only speak for the lack of services in that inner west and Mascot area.

The buses in Sydney are far worse. Whatever schedule they are on is basically irrelevant cause they'll just turn up whenever. Fairly comfortable but break down far more than they should.

Trains in Sydney are good. In the sense they are air conditioned and you usually get a seat as the carriages are huge. When in Sydney I live relatively close to town (Newtown, Erskineville, Mascot, St Peters area) and in my experience the trains tend to run fairly close to schedule. I can't speak for people further out where it seems there are a litany of problems. But the schedules are stupid. A train every 15 minute during peak hour at many stations? Blind Freddy can make that happen. From memory Newtown station has about an hour time frame where it gets two trains every 15 minutes.

In a city the size of Sydney and Newtown being the hub it is, that "high" hour should be at least 90 minutes and 2 trains every 15 minutes should be 4 trains every 15 minutes. And there should be a 3 hour period at the start and end of each workday where there is 2 trains within a 15 minute time frame. Other hubs that should hit that minimum frequency would be North Sydney, Strathfield, Ryde (?), Ashfield, Bondi Junction and other bigger stations in the outer suburbs that I'm not familiar with. I imagine station like Parramatta, Penrith, Sutherland, Hornsby are probably the busiest in their respective areas. Some of those may need even more services - can only speak for the lack of services in that inner west and Mascot area.

The buses in Sydney are far worse. Whatever schedule they are on is basically irrelevant cause they'll just turn up whenever. Fairly comfortable but break down far more than they should.
Funnily enough, the inner west seems to have more problems with trains than the outer west.

I catch an express train from Penrith every day and we very rarely have a problem (ironically we were delayed this morning due to a customer disturbance at Parra). Our trains during peak have 2 trains every 15 mins (1 express, 1 inner city).

My mate used to live at Lewisham and the amount of time it used to take him was incredible.

Funnily enough, the inner west seems to have more problems with trains than the outer west.

I catch an express train from Penrith every day and we very rarely have a problem (ironically we were delayed this morning due to a customer disturbance at Parra). Our trains during peak have 2 trains every 15 mins (1 express, 1 inner city).

Richmond line isn't particularly good. Penrith is much better.

I always get trains (or did until the new timetable made getting to work insanely difficult and it was easier just to drive). I've previously considered selling my car - I live near enough a train station. Probably will if/when I move offices to somewhere easier to get to again.

Richmond line isn't particularly good. Penrith is much better.

I always get trains (or did until the new timetable made getting to work insanely difficult and it was easier just to drive). I've previously considered selling my car - I live near enough a train station. Probably will if/when I move offices to somewhere easier to get to again.
Yeah that's valid, I've heard that Windsor/Richmond line isn't great.

Being out at Penrith, I couldn't really sell the car. I can bus to the station ok for work but it would make going anywhere on weekends difficult.

Trains are fine for me, my only problem is finding parking at the station in the morning. There's a 4 storey parking complex next to it but the all-day parking spots are filled by 7:45am at the latest. Only takes 35 mins to get into the city from where I am so don't want to lose 15-30mins of sleep just to get to work 30+ mins earlier than I need to

Me and the cook areSydney atm for a bit of a break, haven't been here for nearly ten years.

Put $20 on an opal card at the airport and we caught a train to museum station. When we tapped off I wasn't quick enough to read the screen and so couldn't tell see which figure was credit or debit, but did that four station train ride really cost me sixteen bucks?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank goodness the humidity finally pissed off.

Yeah that big wet last week finally killed it , would've been a good 3 month stretch of 50%+ humidity - i was born and raised in the driest city in the driest state on the driest continent , i'm not equipped to deal with humidity.
Queensland not high on my holiday destination list

Yeh hence I said cooler not cold. Although honestly its 20 degrees in the east today and I’m wearinf a jumper, mostly because it’s the first chance I’ve had to

Im pretty much short sleeved shirt and jeans/trousers for work, short sleeved shirt and shorts all other times.

On the coldest days I may go a long sleeved shirt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back