The Syrian War

Remove this Banner Ad

Published just over a year ago, but still relevant.

Do you think Kurds are a homogenous bloc? Are you referring to the YPG, the military wing of the PYD, the Syrian PKK affiliate, which is one group (the PYD was the only Kurdish party which agreed to work with Assad in 2011), or are you referring to the Kurds who are part of the Syrian opposition or to Turkish, Iraqi, Iranian Kurds, and which parties within those nationalities or what? I assume that since the EDL is one group in England it obviously represents all English people and its diaspora abroad.

Are you of English descent Geelong_Sicko? So you must be a supporter of the EDL.

I'm Irish, mate. If they turn out to be another Combat 18 mob I'd be a supporter of the EDL getting their heads kicked in. Yes, I want to see a united Ireland. No, I don't think further violence to achieve this end is justified. I asked if you were Kurdish without asking your affiliation, as it goes.

Doesn't it concern anybody that we could be dragged into ww3 over a provocation, likely staged by Jaish al Islam ?

What are the odds for global war by the end of the week? Must be getting shorter very fast.

I'm actually tipping a more likely outcome is that Russia, Iran and Syria blow a few US and Brit jets out of the sky and suddenly the Western myth of air invincibility is shattered.

Worth recalling the mighty US has never attacked a country with halfway decent air defences to begin with since North Vietnam (where they took significant losses)

My understanding is the Israeli strike last week was sub-launched Tomahawks ... the jet being shot down last time scared them.

If the US goes Tomahawks only, the effects will be minimal, everyone knows that.

But if they send in their vaunted air power and Vlad says - ah, guess what, those things look good in commercials but we also have nice stuff, then the calculus changes deeply.

Trump won't escalate and nor will the generals. They don't want to start a genuine war.

BEIRUT, LEBANON (4:30 A.M.) – A Russian A-50 jet is currently circling the Syrian coast this morning after reports of a U.S. warship left nearby Cyprus for Syria’s territorial waters.

According to local military reports from the Tartous Governorate, the Russian A-50 is circling the provinces of Latakia and Tartous, which are both located along the Syrian coast

The A-50 is an early warning and control jet that was developed in the Soviet Union in the 1970s and still presently used by the Russian Aerospace Forces.

The last time the U.S. launched their tomahawk cruise missiles towards the Al-Seen Airbase in Homs, they sent a warship towards these two coast provinces.
https://www.almasdarnews.com/articl...rcles-syrian-coast-as-us-threatens-to-attack/
This would suggest they are preparing to retaliate or at least shoot stuff down.... not impossible but could escalate to nukes within hours. If I was putin I'd nuke all the major us cities simultaneously as soon as they launched any major attacks on my assets or land, they (usa)have the advantage with conventional weaponry, I'd nullify this with an instant nuclear blitz. I'd be running drill s to get people underground today and this whole week. Putins very smart and decisive and ruthless, would his army carry this out ? Maybe , probably not but I hope we don't find out. Either this or pollute space to such a degree satellites become un viable, this would probably ruin all economies and most military systems.

Last edited:
The US thinks it wants to provoke a "brinkmanship" staredown with Putin and Suleimeini.

They really don't though, because they will lose, largely because Putin and Suleimeini have gamed all this stuff out for years, while the Yanks are making it up as the go.

US foreign policy is in some regards like the AFL - they make up, enforce or ignore rules as they go to meet the needs of the situation of the day, a situation usually caused by a stupid implementation of the previously stated last time something happened.

Usually they get away with it but every so often they stumble deep into soccer territory and start babbling about something being out on the full and how there'll be a 50 metre penalty and draft picks will be taken off Assad, then they get slapped back into reality for a while.

The US thinks it wants to provoke a "brinkmanship" staredown with Putin and Suleimeini.

They really don't though, because they will lose, largely because Putin and Suleimeini have gamed all this stuff out for years, while the Yanks are making it up as the go.

US foreign policy is in some regards like the AFL - they make up, enforce or ignore rules as they go to meet the needs of the situation of the day, a situation usually caused by a stupid implementation of the previously stated last time something happened.

Usually they get away with it but every so often they stumble deep into soccer territory and start babbling about something being out on the full and how there'll be a 50 metre penalty and draft picks will be taken off Assad, then they get slapped back into reality for a while.
I really don't know anymore, this time it feels like the propaganda and rhetoric is heading towards a hot war with Russia. Most people just try to stick their heads in the sand, but it really feels like they (political elite)have lost the plot entirely at the moment.

Mathis seems pretty smart and ruthless to me he's no fool. But he does seem slightly crazy.

I really don't know anymore, this time it feels like the propaganda and rhetoric is heading towards a hot war with Russia. Most people just try to stick their heads in the sand, but it really feels like they (political elite)have lost the plot entirely at the moment.

Mathis seems pretty smart and ruthless to me he's no fool. But he does seem slightly crazy.

I think they have convinced themselves that Putin will eventually fold before them.

But he knows the only way to handle a bully is stand up to it, and if you give it a bloody nose, it will usually run away.

And the actual military men like Mattis will never allow shooting war with Iran let alone Russia, despite the blathering of genuine candidates for the gallows like Bolton.

I think they have convinced themselves that Putin will eventually fold before them.

But he knows the only way to handle a bully is stand up to it, and if you give it a bloody nose, it will usually run away.

And the actual military men like Mattis will never allow shooting war with Iran let alone Russia, despite the blathering of genuine candidates for the gallows like Bolton.
I hope you are right but I'm sure miscalculations could be made. Just seems pretty crazy to even risk it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wondering what happened to the thousand supposedly injured by the chemical attack, their disappearance is surely as important as the unverified deaths!
At least you would think Assad would use chemical weapons to attack the enemy.
But to prove he is a complete animal he targets children.

Why do I feel that the real attack is on gullible a child like western public?

An eyewitness account of the chemical massacre in Douma by one of those forced to leave his home. Moaed Dumane: "I’m packing all the videos and photos I collected that we took of the city. These are the last memories that we have. There’s something we cannot take with us. We cannot take our families who are buried in the ground..."

A Survivor Describes the Chemical Attack in Syria

https://www.newyorker.com/news/as-told-to/a-survivor-describes-the-chemical-attack-in-syria

Who gives a s**t?

It isn't going to be some little brown-skinned *er who bangs his head on the ground for some silly god who comes up with a cure for cancer, is it.
And in the meantime, they're using up all the water. Among other things.

There are too many people in the world, using too much in the way of resources. And they all keep cats for pets.
All the bombs are just nature's balancing act. If we win, gays can get married. If they win, gays get thrown off buildings.

Pick a side.

Just like last year, nothing but a useless gentle slap on the wrist.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back