Scape Goat The "T" Word

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do people not rate Stringer, who had a broken leg last year and still has dominated

WHilst Toumpas who has been injured this year and will probably not be able to do draft camp at anything more than 80% is so highly rated? Just SA bias?

The last quarter in the Adelaide Oval game against Melbourne is the finest anti-tanking display that any team in the AFL has ever put on. We had the earliest non-GWS pick in the draft up for grabs and we gave it up for a special win. And the football gods obviously appreciated it because the man we wanted slid to us anyway so GWS could take players like Buntine and Hoskin-Elliott who can't even get a game for them. #tankingisnotportadelaide

They have the worst forward line in the competition sans GC & GWS.

Disagree. I'd rate them below even GC and GWS. Hell, I'd take Jeremy Cameron before the entire Bulldog forward line put together.

And the football gods obviously appreciated it because the man we wanted slid to us anyway so GWS could take players like Buntine and Hoskin-Elliott who can't even get a game for them..
Saw Hoskin-Elliott play against Freo on the weekend. He looks pretty good

In saying that i would still take Wingard every day of the week

CAN PEOPLE STOP TALKING ABOUT PORT TANKING!
The thread was about others tanking and us losing out because of it. Not that we should tank. NO WAY NEVER!!

CAN PEOPLE STOP TALKING ABOUT PORT TANKING!
The thread was about others tanking and us losing out because of it. Not that we should tank. NO WAY NEVER!!

It may suck that other teams are going to tank and thereby improve their draft position, but if that's the type of club they're going to be, no amount of high draft picks will ever help them. The culture they create does more damage than any multitude of players they may get.

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence (to develop your playing list). Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent." Calvin Coolidge

It may suck that other teams are going to tank and thereby improve their draft position, but if that's the type of club they're going to be, no amount of high draft picks will ever help them. The culture they create does more damage than any multitude of players they may get.

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence (to develop your playing list). Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent." Calvin Coolidge

I think the aim of the game is to develop your players that you have better than others, which means $$$$, it would of been nice to get the plush top 3 pick though :(

Agree. Port should be emulating Sydney or Adelaide, not Melbourne or Bulldogs.

Yeah, they tanked hard against us, didn't they.
This.

We can never create a culture where we rely on or encourage losing games to change our draft pick a few places. I want our club to win every game. I expect them to want to win every game. Clubs like Melbourne and Carlton have had great pick after great pick and where are they?

Win at all costs. Develop your playing list at all costs.
and this.

There is no guarantee that by having a pick one or two places earlier in the draft you are going to get a better player who is going to play 10 years for the club however the stench of tanking lingers on for a generation.

This.

and this.

There is no guarantee that by having a pick one or two places earlier in the draft you are going to get a better player who is going to play 10 years for the club however the stench of tanking lingers on for a generation.

Not that I disagree with you, but how's the stench of West Coast, Collingwood, Hawthorn and St Kilda? For the couple of serial tankers, there's a few clubs that used the rules to their benefit. Finishing higher does also give more certainty to the selections.

But I like watching our team win so it doesn't bother me as long as we have a plan to beat the tankers :)

Not that I disagree with you, but how's the stench of West Coast, Collingwood, Hawthorn and St Kilda? For the couple of serial tankers, there's a few clubs that used the rules to their benefit. .....
Are you certain those clubs tanked? The fact that you think they did shows how strong the stench is.

Look at the Cows this season, from 14th to top. Maybe taking Cwaigy off contract and putting him on staff was all part of their tanking plan.

The really annoying thing about Collingwood bottoming out in 2005 is that they automatically got a priority pick. Their 2004 was bad but not that bad.

I was concerned in recent years that a constitutional inability to tank was going to rob us of the players we wanted and needed. I'm not so worried this year as the Top 7 or 8 are really hard to choose between anyway. You could have Grundy going 1 to 7, Toumpas 2 to 7 and Stringer 4 to 12. Add Gartlett, Viney, Mayes, Kennedy and the reality is you are going to get a very good player at 7. Jack Martin is also worth pick 7.

Tanking probably not an issue this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess the point there Wharfie is those teams identified a flaw in the system and took advantage. We maybe lacked that awareness
There was no flaw and there was nothing overlooked - it was the system at the time. As per the AFL they change things, coincidentally, when it doesn't suit the 'important' Vic clubs anymore.

This word does not belong at our club.

This is not the attitude or the environment I want my club to create.

It has not worked for Melbourne. It has not worked for Carlton.

Please tell me what_has_worked for Port lately

Sadly, words like hunger, honesty, effort, run, consistency, integrity aren't at our club either

I was concerned in recent years that a constitutional inability to tank was going to rob us of the players we wanted and needed. I'm not so worried this year as the Top 7 or 8 are really hard to choose between anyway. You could have Grundy going 1 to 7, Toumpas 2 to 7 and Stringer 4 to 12. Add Gartlett, Viney, Mayes, Kennedy and the reality is you are going to get a very good player at 7. Jack Martin is also worth pick 7.

Tanking probably not an issue this year.

So what you are saying is that we need to do EVERYthing in out power to ensure we get a priority pick at end of Rd 1, and trade players away to get 3 or 4 inside the top 30 picks?

Please tell me what_has_worked for Port lately

Sadly, words like hunger, honesty, effort, run, consistency, integrity aren't at our club either

Went to a lecture tonight where it was said that in the corporate world, the most important factor in ensuring performance was culture. You can see that best with Sydney and Melbourne at the other end. You can also see that we are making ground in this area as evidenced by our re-signings.

It's the sort of thing thing that takes time. This glass half empty approach is getting tiring. Questioning our clubs' hunger, honesty and integrity is really just ill informed reactionary tripe. If you haven't got the stamina for what will be a long ride, get off the bus. I'm sure there will be a bandwagon to jump on when our list matures.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back