No Oppo Supporters The TAN 62 - Dictator Equus position Officially untenable! FAKE NEWS!

Is groupie a hipster

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey night crew just need your opinion on the wife's last shot which the theme was "Blue".

View attachment 340652

I have some issues with it to be honest.

medication in the treatment of depression is an important tool for many sufferers (together with therapy), and the picture pretty much dismisses if not mocks this by implying it allows users to fake being happy (like a clown does)

I'm not sure if this is the artists intent, but I think its a dangerous message to give. While I think the issue of over dependence on the use of medication may be one worth raising, this picture doesn't do this. the clowns and the candy pills are a pretty absolutist position - medication doesn't help depression, it just puts on a fake happy face.

please note Im not saying this to s**t can you or the artist, or to be contrary or a bitch. its a serious message about a serious topic, and I'd be insulting both of us if I didn't raise my concerns.

I have some issues with it to be honest.

medication in the treatment of depression is an important tool for many sufferers (together with therapy), and the picture pretty much dismisses if not mocks this by implying it allows users to fake being happy (like a clown does)

I'm not sure if this is the artists intent, but I think its a dangerous message to give. While I think the issue of over dependence on the use of medication may be one worth raising, this picture doesn't do this. the clowns and the candy pills are a pretty absolutist position - medication doesn't help depression, it just puts on a fake happy face.

please note Im not saying this to s**t can you or the artist, or to be contrary or a bitch. its a serious message about a serious topic, and I'd be insulting both of us if I didn't raise my concerns.
That's fair enough and this is why I asked as one person in about 3000 had complained until you offered your opinion. Which I appreciate.
Still just for reference I'm not sure which is a better cure for depression? Laughter or Pills combined with therapy? Or combinations of all three?
The theme was blue and the artist put a different twist on it.
Its had 38 Likes to two complaints, but these are biased as friends or followers often tag along .surprisingly a few people that are still struggling with depression commented positively to it.
I see your point though.

What about Chris Mayne and Dunny? Pies 4 Premiership.
Seriously...what were Collingwood thinking last off season? Honestly, their recruiting screams of desperation in my opinion. I can't understand why after 5 years of developing young players as a list strategy that they just threw it all away and recruited Wells and Mayne on big dollars.

That's fair enough and this is why I asked as one person in about 3000 had complained until you offered your opinion. Which I appreciate.
Still just for reference I'm not sure which is a better cure for depression? Laughter or Pills combined with therapy? Or combinations of all three?
The theme was blue and the artist put a different twist on it.
Its had 38 Likes to two complaints, but these are biased as friends or followers often tag along .surprisingly a few people that are still struggling with depression commented positively to it.
I see your point though.

Laughter doesn't cure depression. It's at best a band aid, and even then a very short term one.

For most, depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. Serotonin is either produced in too small a quantity, or it's used too quickly. Most medications attempt to stabilize this by managing the use of serotonin.

Any half decent doctor however will say this doesn't fix the issue, you need to learn to better deal with your stressers, your ability to cope with life's dramas, and your own issues. That's where cognitive behavior therapy comes into play, which helps you identify and learn to cope better with these issues.

Even with all of this, you are never "cured". The chemical imbalance still exists, it's just you learn how to manage it so depressive symptoms don't come to play (or as often). As such, the aim is to try and give you the tools to cope and manage ultimately without medication.

Laughter is only a mask. Pretending to be happy is a classic strategy of people with depression. This is where the saying "tears of a clown" comes from. It directly relates to those people we know who act the clown or the life of the party, but on the inside are a wreck and are falling apart. Pretending or laughing doesn't cure anything. The chemical imbalance remains unchanged and if anything gets worse as you keep suppressing more and more.

This is why one of the things a therapist will always instruct at some stage is fessing up to loved ones. Many many times family, partners and friends are completely unaware that the person has been struggling with anything, let alone depression. The person has mastered lying to them all to cover their darkness inside, and the tears of the clown is a way of life for them.

This is why the clown is such a poor image in this picture. Knowingly or not, the artist has used a symbol that represents the worst coping mechanism for dealing with depression, the clown - pretending and laughing while falling apart on the inside.

Laughter doesn't cure depression. It's at best a band aid, and even then a very short term one.

For most, depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. Serotonin is either produced in too small a quantity, or it's used too quickly. Most medications attempt to stabilize this by managing the use of serotonin.

Any half decent doctor however will say this doesn't fix the issue, you need to learn to better deal with your stressers, your ability to cope with life's dramas, and your own issues. That's where cognitive behavior therapy comes into play, which helps you identify and learn to cope better with these issues.

Even with all of this, you are never "cured". The chemical imbalance still exists, it's just you learn how to manage it so depressive symptoms don't come to play (or as often). As such, the aim is to try and give you the tools to cope and manage ultimately without medication.

Laughter is only a mask. Pretending to be happy is a classic strategy of people with depression. This is where the saying "tears of a clown" comes from. It directly relates to those people we know who act the clown or the life of the party, but on the inside are a wreck and are falling apart. Pretending or laughing doesn't cure anything. The chemical imbalance remains unchanged and if anything gets worse as you keep suppressing more and more.

This is why one of the things a therapist will always instruct at some stage is fessing up to loved ones. Many many times family, partners and friends are completely unaware that the person has been struggling with anything, let alone depression. The person has mastered lying to them all to cover their darkness inside, and the tears of the clown is a way of life for them.

This is why the clown is such a poor image in this picture. Knowingly or not, the artist has used a symbol that represents the worst coping mechanism for dealing with depression, the clown - pretending and laughing while falling apart on the inside.
Pretending to be happy is not laughter .So we tell them to sit in a dark room popping pills and be miserable . Don't exaggerate it as there are different means of curing depression and i would suggest humor is one of them.All cases ofdepression are different and each one requires a different method of curing it. I do respect your opinion though.

Pretending to be happy is not laughter .So we tell them to sit in a dark room popping pills and be miserable . Don't exaggerate it as there are different means of curing depression and i would suggest humor is one of them.All cases ofdepression are different and each one requires a different method of curing it. I do respect your opinion though.

Where did I say pop pills and sit in a dark room?

I actually said the pills are just a short term measure to allow therapy to start working. I also said therapists will also want the person to start publicly telling loved ones about what they are going through. The whole point of this is to stop them hiding in the dark room, and to get out in public. The idea is to stop the secrets and to accept, you don't do that in a dark room.

As for laughter, you cannot force it. If you're genuinely unhappy and depressed, comedy shows and laughing circles won't change s**t. Yes you feel good while laughing, but then what? When you walk away the issues that caused your depression are still there - nothing has changed. If laughter is a cure, why do comedians suffer from the black dog just as much as the rest of us? Why do the wealthy, and those who have been given the golden dick by life?

Laughing helps us and those around the person feel better. It doesn't change anything for the individual outside a short term fix until they start dealing with the underlying reasons for their depression.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where did I say pop pills and sit in a dark room?

I actually said the pills are just a short term measure to allow therapy to start working. I also said therapists will also want the person to start publicly telling loved ones about what they are going through. The whole point of this is to stop them hiding in the dark room, and to get out in public. The idea is to stop the secrets and to accept, you don't do that in a dark room.

As for laughter, you cannot force it. If you're genuinely unhappy and depressed, comedy shows and laughing circles won't change s**t. Yes you feel good while laughing, but then what? When you walk away the issues that caused your depression are still there - nothing has changed. If laughter is a cure, why do comedians suffer from the black dog just as much as the rest of us? Why do the wealthy, and those who have been given the golden dick by life?

Laughing helps us and those around the person feel better. It doesn't change anything for the individual outside a short term fix until they start dealing with the underlying reasons for their depression.
Agree with the obvious points you're making,but you pinpointed you argument earlier to laughter being a mask.
As i said there are many forms of cure ranging from counselling, medication, diet ,humor,exercise and social /family support.
http://www.healthcentral.com/depression/c/84292/117961/depression/

I've never had depression and not come close and I'm very thankful.
I seem to be surrounded by it though.
I'm no expert but I have seen some tragic fluctuations in the Battle between depression and medication and therefore just in my very own and uneducated opinion i am not a big fan of depression meds.
As for the painting TigerImposter i can't offer an opinion as I have no idea what I'm talking about with art other than to say I've seen some of your missus other stuff over the time and she's very talented.

I've never had depression and not come close and I'm very thankful.
I seem to be surrounded by it though.
I'm no expert but I have seen some tragic fluctuations in the Battle between depression and medication and therefore just in my very own and uneducated opinion i SM mot s big fan.
As for the painting TigerImposter i can't offer an opinion as I have no idea what I'm talking about with art other than to say I've seen some of your missus other stuff over the time and she's very talented.
Thanks RD ,this one was a bit controversial so far to two people out of 3000 and i can understand their views and yes it's an area i'm not well informed in.

My dad has it depression and unfortunately he's got worse and tried all the pills in the world etc he's still not right , But he has let it totally consume him and doesent use other methods of trying to make himself function better etc . My mums at a loss of what to what to do that's how bad he's got .

My dad has it depression and unfortunately he's got worse and tried all the pills in the world etc he's still not right , But he has let it totally consume him and doesent use other methods of trying to make himself function better etc . My mums at a loss of what to what to do that's how bad he's got .
Tell him to read the expert opinions on the TAN. Fix him up in no time. Cured me.

Did you actually read this? Even the doctor says forced laughter doesn't treat the underlying issues. It makes you feel better, but then what?

Also a single group isn't a great sample to make a definitive statement on treatment for depression. "Laughter Yoga" isn't widespread, and to be honest will only appeal to a certain group of people (which stops getting a truly representative sample for analysis). any type of treatment needs to be trialled using appropriate sampling and follow up analysis by qualified medical researchers. A blog isn't that.

All medications come with side effects, which is why doctors only use them when needed. If it was easy as you say, why would docs prescribe medications that effect mood, have strong physical side effects, and patients generally hate? It's a latter resort weapon in their arsenal, because they have genuine concerns about where a person is placed right now. when someone is standing on the ledge, your first priority is to get them off that ledge.

* I will also note the situation we have here in Australia is very different to the USA which most of our media depiction of depression treatments comes from. We generally don't have a "medicate only" culture here, and gp's first second and third advice is to get counseling or therapy. From people I've spoken to who have attempted suicide (so are at the acute end of things), your doc is very unlikely to let you walk with just a prescription, even if that's all you ask for.

Did you actually read this? Even the doctor says forced laughter doesn't treat the underlying issues. It makes you feel better, but then what?

Also a single group isn't a great sample to make a definitive statement on treatment for depression. "Laughter Yoga" isn't widespread, and to be honest will only appeal to a certain group of people (which stops getting a truly representative sample for analysis). any type of treatment needs to be trialled using appropriate sampling and follow up analysis by qualified medical researchers. A blog isn't that.

All medications come with side effects, which is why doctors only use them when needed. If it was easy as you say, why would docs prescribe medications that effect mood, have strong physical side effects, and patients generally hate? It's a latter resort weapon in their arsenal, because they have genuine concerns about where a person is placed right now. when someone is standing on the ledge, your first priority is to get them off that ledge.

* I will also note the situation we have here in Australia is very different to the USA which most of our media depiction of depression treatments comes from. We generally don't have a "medicate only" culture here, and gp's first second and third advice is to get counseling or therapy. From people I've spoken to who have attempted suicide (so are at the acute end of things), your doc is very unlikely to let you walk with just a prescription, even if that's all you ask for.
Ever experienced it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back