No Oppo Supporters The TAN 73 - Home of the reigning premiers

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Freak death in Parkville.
Falling tree kills a woman on Monday morning.
Torrential weather probably destabilised the tree over the weekend.
The City of Melbourne council has inspectors, but probably during the week.
It will be interesting to see whether or not the woman's family sues for negligence.
They might just want to let it go.
Some people would sue.
The City of Melbourne has been very quick to react.
11404350-3x2-460x307.jpg

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see whether or not the woman's family sues for negligence.
Some people would sue.

If you dont like any Black Sabbath from the 70's, then there's no accounting for taste. they invented the genre by adding......wait for it 'melody' and inspiration from classical music to rock and blues.
You just stick to your richard clayderman and acker bilk albums grandad

I love Sab. Proggy heavy rockers. Don’t even consider them metal. I’d say they had 2 metal songs. Symptom and Bloody. Don’t really like those two though

Some people would sue.
View attachment 725276

Had two questions: 1. Could running near the tree have been the-straw-that-broke-camel's-back? 2. Was she wearing headphones or would the tree have just fallen silently?

I like them both. Especially "Symptom".

Bloody sounds boring to me. That and Cadabra the only weak tracks on the album imo. Sort of hard rock tracks. Symptom has tough sounding guitar but find the vocals shite. Love most Ozzy vocals though. The ending of the song is cool. The Dio era has a few cool tracks too.

Bloody sounds boring to me. That and Cadabra the only weak tracks on the album imo. Sort of hard rock tracks. Symptom has tough sounding guitar but find the vocals s**t. Love most Ozzy vocals though. The ending of the song is cool. The Dio era has a few cool tracks too.
When the song completely changes halfway through it does lift the song I agree. As for Ozzy's vocals, well he was never up there with Plant or Gillan was he?

When the song completely changes halfway through it does lift the song I agree. As for Ozzy's vocals, well he was never up there with Plant or Gillan was he?

Much prefer ozzy over plant. Plant sounded like a male Joplin. Gillan was pretty cool. More of sab and purple fan than zeps but haven’t played any of them for 20 years lol

People need to understand that music/sounds evolve. They're artists and changes over time. If Nirvana was still kicking around people would be saying the same thing about them. Their early s**t was so good, how do you ever top it? You don't its just different.

People said the same thing about Radiohead. Those that really know their stuff all agree the music they've produced post OK Computer is some of their best.

Need nantes in this discussion big time
What happened to Nantes

Had two questions: 1. Could running near the tree have been the-straw-that-broke-camel's-back? 2. Was she wearing headphones or would the tree have just fallen silently?
I was thinking exactly the same thing.
If she was listening to music she might have been oblivious to external sounds.
We don't know for sure.
In the same way, I wondered whether some people struck by the Bourke Street driver were listening to music on phones as they were walking.
Reaction time is far slower.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was thinking exactly the same thing.
If she was listening to music she might have been oblivious to external sounds.
We don't know for sure.
In the same way, I wondered whether some people struck by the Bourke Street driver were listening to music on phones as they were walking.
Reaction time is far slower.

When it rains - especially heavily and for an extended period - old large trees are more susceptible to breaking boughs or uprooting entirely. They accumulate the water more easily than a younger tree and because they're older and bigger, the volume of water they accumulate is very very heavy and things snap and break. A lot of the time in heavy storms, its the water as much as the wind - or a combination thereof - that causes some large old trees to break. That tree would have definitely given off a few seconds worth of noise as it started to snap away. Whether it was enough time to react, who knows.

When it rains - especially heavily and for an extended period - old large trees are more susceptible to breaking boughs or uprooting entirely. They accumulate the water more easily than a younger tree and because they're older and bigger, the volume of water they accumulate is very very heavy and things snap and break. A lot of the time in heavy storms, its the water as much as the wind - or a combination thereof - that causes some large old trees to break. That tree would have definitely given off a few seconds worth of noise as it started to snap away. Whether it was enough time to react, who knows.
Possibly...but judging by the shallow size of that Elm's root ball size, size of a small table for such a large tree canopy and tree trunck!, check it out!.

That Elm would have tipped over easily in those wet and windy conditions, tearing those small roots easily,...and most probably with no discernable loud noise on such a wet and windy day...small root base for such a large Elm!
I reckon that Elm's tree roots, what hold the tree securely in the ground, have been severly compromised/restricted by the road and footpath intrusions and also possibly by watering through dry Summers by the Council water truck around it's base by both encouraging smaller root growth and discouraging damaging buttress root growth to the road and footpath...
Maybe that road at some stage has been widened and has encroached on the Elm's larger buttress roots which prolly have been cut off by chain saw to make way for the road widening. That tarmaced road and it's base would be compacted like concrete and would make it hard for the Elm's tree roots to re-grow and spred, same as the footpath, creating a restricting pot plant effect on it's tree roots. Finally, that, plus wind and rain, plus it's age, have resulted in a weakened tree structure...
Another thing notice how the Elm falls away from the road where it's tree roots would have been severely compromised in the past...

Last edited:
Possibly...but judging by the shallow size of that Elm's root ball size, size of a small table for such a large tree canopy and tree trunck!, check it out!.

View attachment 725590

That Elm would have tipped over easily in those wet and windy conditions, tearing those small roots easily,...and most probably with no discernable loud noise on such a wet and windy day...
I reckon that Elm's tree roots, what hold the tree securely in the ground, have been severly compromised/restricted by the road and footpath intrusions and also possibly by watering through dry Summers by the Council water truck around it's base by both encouraging smaller root growth and discouraging damaging buttress root growth to the road and footpath...
Maybe that road at some stage has been widened and has encroached on the Elm's larger buttress roots which prolly have been cut off by chain saw to make way for the road widening. That tarmaced road and it's base would be compacted like concrete and would make it hard for the Elm's tree roots to re-grow and spred, same as the footpath, creating a restricting pot plant effect on it's tree roots. Finally, that, plus wind and rain, plus it's age, have resulted in a weakened tree structure...
Another thing notice how the Elm falls away from the road where it's tree roots would have been severely compromised in the past...

Hmmm. Maybe. My old man worked at a golf club for 15 years. Course was littered with old and deciduous trees. Large and small. They’d get uproots from heavy rain falls regularly. One time he almost came a cropper with one. Each time though you’d hear a significant creak or moan from the tree especially if it had some size, and get the hell out of the way.

But who the hell knows. All guessing. Different circumstances a lot of the time. Impossible to know really.

Hmmm. Maybe. My old man worked at a golf club for 15 years. Course was littered with old and deciduous trees. Large and small. They’d get uproots from heavy rain falls regularly. One time he almost came a cropper with one. Each time though you’d hear a significant creak or moan from the tree especially if it had some size, and get the hell out of the way.

But who the hell knows. All guessing. Different circumstances a lot of the time. Impossible to know really.
Impossible to know?!? Maybe! But me eyes tell me that Elm's location and it's roots were severely compromised and fell away from the side that had it's roots compromised by that road's construction and possible widening!
I have worked with trees and as a Horticulturalist in major show gardens...and just like your dad it's all about experience!
If you decide to have a long Avenue of large foreign/exotic deciduous trees within a populous area you had better do everything you can in your power to maximize their vigour and growth. Not the other way around, adjusting large exotic deciduous tree growth to suit human convenience! Therein lies the problem!
Most of our native soils, nutrient poor and shallow, are not suited for large exotic trees in general, leading to shallow root growth for such large trees!
Now with changing climate patterns no tree, native or exotic, is going to cope with severe wind gusts with rain sodden ground here! Cheers...

Impossible to know?!? Maybe! But me eyes tell me that Elm's location and it's roots were severely compromised and fell away from the side that had it's roots compromised by that road's construction and possible widening!
I have worked with trees and as a Horticulturalist in major show gardens...and just like your dad it's all about experience!
If you decide to have a long Avenue of large foreign/exotic deciduous trees within a populous area you had better do everything you can in your power to maximize their vigour and growth. Not the other way around, adjusting large exotic deciduous tree growth to suit human convenience! Therein lies the problem!
Most of our native soils, nutrient poor and shallow, are not suited for large exotic trees in general, leading to shallow root growth for such large trees!
Now with changing climate patterns no tree, native or exotic, is going to cope with severe wind gusts with rain sodden ground here! Cheers...

There will still be some noise of some level, regardless, when a tree that size topples over. The base and trunk is laden with water and of such a size there will at least be a moan or creak of some magnitude as it bends. How much, who the f knows and whether it could be heard given the wind, surrounding noise etc. again, who the f knows.

There will still be some noise of some level, regardless, when a tree that size topples over. The base and trunk is laden with water and of such a size there will at least be a moan or creak of some magnitude as it bends. How much, who the f knows and whether it could be heard given the wind, surrounding noise etc. again, who the f knows.
Especially if your wearing ear plugs listening to your fav music...

Especially if your wearing ear plugs listening to your fav music...
That or people simply don't recognise the sounds of a creaking tree that is about to snap?

Such an unfortunate incident.

That or people simply don't recognise the sounds of a creaking tree that is about to snap?

Such an unfortunate incident.
Nahhh not snap, that's a crescendo of noise!, topple slowly is deceptive! Creaking branches in the wind or a falling tree?!?!?!

The CCTV of the Bourke Street driver shows the pedestrians without earphones get out of the way quick smart.
Quick response saved their lives.
We don't know whether the woman had earphones at the time of course.
Whether or not it was a causal factor.

Nahhh not snap, that's a crescendo of noise!, topple slowly is deceptive! Creaking branches in the wind or a falling tree?!?!?!

But I think that sort of explain my point. If you're not an arborist or a horticulturist, you would not know what it sounds like. And in a large park area with lots of different noises around you such as honking and the general humming of town, you wouldn't bat an eyelid to that cracking and other sounds.

Dunno. It's just a dumb and sad way to end a life to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back